What languages do you read in and speak?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Jakob95, Apr 23, 2010.

1. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    since im from sweden i ofc know swedish (o'really?)
    and im about as good on english as swedish (some grama and spelling problem only)

2. pacha69

pacha69 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2006
    Belgium
    English - written / spoken
    french - written / spoken
    dutch - written / spoken
    spanish - written / spoken
    german - written poor / spoken poor

3. Danny Tanner

Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2009
    United States
    New York
    Obviously English. I've been studying Japanese for about a year and a half, but only the grammar with only enough vocab to get a solid feel for the grammar I am learning. My theory is that if I know Japanese grammar like the back of my hand, it will be easier to learn vocabulary later, and not give me the false sense of knowledge if I know a slew of words but not how to use them.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Something I want to add :
    French people tend to have more difficulties to learn foreign languages than stranger learning French (though, French is difficult).
    French mind seems broken [​IMG]
    That, or we are just lazy and wait for other people to make the effort to adapt...

I think this is partly because French language is considered (by French government) so much "need to conserve it intact because old classical French writers used it", that TV, radio, all media have censorship on other languages. they don't have the right to broadcast a lot of foreign media, etc.
    They even create weird French word to NOT use any other language word (ex. an informatics "bug" -> "bogue" which mean nothing but "sound alike and is no more english, so good !")
    So children aren't used to other languages.

I know some Scandinavia countries have both their own languages and English, that's the best !

5. Danny Tanner

Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2009
    United States
    New York
    Yikes! And I thought I had a hard time trying to learn French [​IMG] . I took it four five years in school, though I'd have to say the setting was chaotic at best. Still, I wish I remembered more of what I learned (couldn't have learned it that well though [​IMG] ) it's a pretty useful language in the US.

6. Raika

Raika uguu

Sep 15, 2008
    uguu
    I can speak English pretty well, and I can write it well too.
    I know some Chinese, but let's just say that I'm a fucktard at it.
    EDIT: I can speak a little Japanese that I picked up from watching anime, but not enough to have even a simple conversation. I have no idea how to read Japanese though.

7. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    I read/speak Dutch, english, german, french (well, those last 2, just a bit), and some coding languages [​IMG]

8. xMekux

xMekux Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2010
    I Can Speak Chinese(Mandarin), Wenzhounese(Regional Chinese), Portuguese, English and Little French
    I can write Portuguese English and a little frence only =/

9. SilentRevolt

SilentRevolt GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    A,B,X,Y UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT
    I can speak/read malay and English. my real language is Malay.

10. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    Swedish, Spanish and English fluently and I'm learning French in school. I may try to begin with learning Japanese some day.
    Yes my languages help me, everyday actually.

11. perpetualskeptic

perpetualskeptic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I speak English (Native Speaker), Japanese (one of my majors in University), and a bit of Mandarin Chinese (My wife's native language [Edit: technically her native language is Shanghainese, a dialect of Wu Chinese])

My wife speaks English, Mandarin Chinese, Wu Chinese (you from around Shanghai, NekoKun?), and Japanese.

I play a few video games and watch some tv in Japanese. Most of my TV and gaming is in English, though. My wife and I talk in a combination of all three languages. I use Chinese around town (live in Shanghai) and Japanese with my Japanese friends...crazy.

12. Jakob95
    OP

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    Which part off Uzbekistan are you from?

13. xMekux

xMekux Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2010
    I From .... Zhejiang(Wenzou)

14. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    I'm a native Swedish speaker and can therefore speak/read/write Swedish fluently. Despite that I still prefer English where I'm to fluent-ish to a certain extent. I have no problems writing or reading English (although I sometimes have a hard time finding exactly the word I'm looking for) but when it comes to speaking it's slightly harder. If you really know me though you'd know that once you get me talking it's pretty damn hard to get me to shut up. [​IMG]

I can kinda relate to the whole dialect thing. I'm originally from the northern part of Finland called Österbotten where there are a couple of minor variants of Swedish being spoken. However, I can not speak any of these dialects as I grew up in Sweden. However, I'm fully capable of understanding the dialect due to all my relatives speaking it and I tend to sometimes use specific words from said dialect that doesn't really fit with the general direction of "normal" Swedish.

15. House Spider

House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Banned
    Apr 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    English & Irish for me.

16. Assassination

Assassination 暗殺者Lv25

Mar 24, 2010
    ァル城
    English&Japanese. I only know a little japanese lol.

17. perpetualskeptic

perpetualskeptic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    NekoKun, that's cool, I wonder how widely Wu Chinese is spread across China. (I could go look it up, but I"m lazy)

18. weiff

weiff GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    I read English (native), German (used to know much more than I remember), and some French (mostly from websites I play some games on). I Speak English and again some German.

As for helping me in life? At times yes. If you know how to recognize words in multiple languages it can help you to see them in ones you do not know at all. Also it helps with sentence structure and giving you a sense that you are still learning something (at least marginally) helpful.

If nothing else it has expanded you culturally.

19. Westside

Westside Sogdiana

Dec 18, 2004
    Uzbekistan
    Guantanamo bay
    Tashkent, but I was only born there, my father is from Samarkand and my mother is from Andijan, both had families moved to Tashkent to look for a better life.

20. xangelinax

xangelinax Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2009
    in imagination land
    My first language is English which helps me daily. I know German, can’t really speak it but if it’s written down then I know it does, also I'm learning Japanese, most things I understand but it will probably be a lifelong learning process for both languages. German and Japanese don't really help me daily but it may be helpful in the future, you never know.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted