What is the point of VHBL on henkaku?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by V0ltr0n, Sep 2, 2016.

1. V0ltr0n
    OP

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Question is in the title. Yes, it's probably a noob question, but from what I gather, VHBL allows psp homebrew but no launching of psp isos. So what is the point if this is basically homebrew limited to psp mode when we already have vita mode?
    Is there something I'm not understanding? I just don't understand the point of installing VHBL. Someone please explain.

2. Graham182

Graham182 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2015
    Droichead Na Bandon, Cork, Ireland
    I guess it allowed people to utilise psp homebrew until native vita conversions were completed.

V0ltr0n likes this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    There is already a bunch of existing PSP homebrew to use, maybe no one will want to port any over so is something to have that gives more variety and access to more stuff. If you had henkaku which is very new, with no other things, is just basic and new. But having access to somthing that is over 10 years old makes it more of a thing to even consider having until new henkaku homebrew is developed.

Perfect example is wii u, if it had no wii mode for playing over 1000 wii games and the low title count of less than 300 games for wii u that exist, wouldn't that be disappointing?

Is having 300 games better than 1300 to choose from and play? :P

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 2, 2016
    V0ltr0n and cvskid like this.
  4. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Vita mode only has retroarch for the most part. Until people start making non retroarch emulators its best to just use vhbl emulators, for now at least. Similar issue with 3ds with the main non retroarch emulator being worked on to my knowledge is snes9x. Also homebrew like pspr, a dance dance revolution clone, is only playable in psp mode since there no homebrew of something like that for vita mode.

Last edited by cvskid, Sep 2, 2016
    Jimboski206 likes this.
  5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It's literally so you can use user-mode PSP homebrew on the Vita. Whether or not you find utility in that is down to you.

6. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Vita emulators are still in their infancy with little optimisation. VHBL is at least useful for playing aggressively optimised (read: speedhacky) emulators from the PSP. You might find that more useful for the time being.

7. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    It's only a matter of time before the developers of the emulators tap into the additional resources that are used for Vita games. Thanks to HENkaku now they have access to a lot more power than the PSP ever had.

Well, not just time that's needed... but also willingness, and access to the homebrew project's source code (if they still have them).

The "point" of VHBL is to increase compatibility.

...compatibility with PSP homebrew, in case that wasn't clear.

8. Blue24

Blue24 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    I'm loving retroarch at the moment I have vhbl in case something goes wrong with henkaku. one of my vitas accidentally updated but the vhbl bubble still works

9. adamnewy

adamnewy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    I use it for the N64 emulator.

10. Blue24

Blue24 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    Which n64 emulator and hows the compatibility?

11. V0ltr0n
    OP

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Thank you all for the replies. This cleared things up quite a bit. I wont be needing vhbl since i still have my psp, but i am still thankful for the knowledge.