Hacking What is the best Flashcart for NDS? New NDS owner here :D

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i can't even be bothered to read this thread....

let me put it to you bluntly, the main thing people argue over is GUI and the quality of the plastic the carts are made out of, when it gets to people being that pedantic you can tell there really isn't a wrong choice for your average pirate.

acekard, edge, cyclo, scds, whatever, they all have neigh on 100% compatibility.

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The CycloDS Evolution is absolutely the best flashcard you can get ATM, the last new feature is a battery save function, isn't that great?

What do you mean by battery save function?

If you mean it is a feature to save battery power Supercard DS One has one too.
If your Nintendo DS is idle for a specific time (configurable via ini file) it will switch to save some battery. Of course the best way to save battery is to shut the Nintendo DS down when you are not playing.
Supercard DS One has real-time save so you can save and switch off even if you are not near the save point (CycloDS has it too).

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supercard DS One Slow GUI
As a matter of fact, when we say Supercard DS One GUI is sluggish, we are talking about a few seconds of slowness at worst at default settings. It is never you have to wait like 30 seconds to get into the game.

BUT if you are willing to spend a bit of time to tweak it, it won't be that sluggish.

I did a test. It can load even faster than R4. I tried to compare by loading a few games concurrently. I discovered the progress bar somehow made you feel it loaded faster. Supercard DS One didn't have a progress bar. I did think it loaded a bit slower initially. But when I really made an objective comparison by loading both games at the same time, I found out my impression was wrong. Actually Supercard DS One loaded a bit faster than R4. How amazing!

Depending on how impatient you are and whether you are willing to spend a bit of time to configure, the sluggish GUI may or may not be a problem to you.

QUOTE said:
Though the CycloDS is more expensive, it is the most stable, most compatible, has the most features and has the very best Dev team.

Price: As a matter of fact the price is about double (~100% increase). So I would say it is much more expensive. Supercard DS one wins largely.

Stability/Compatibility: It is hard to know without running thousands of games. As far as I know, most decent cards can achieve near >99% compatibility. Compatibility is no longer an issue. Supercard DS One supports clean ROM. What it does is to do no patch at all. So it works similar to what you use your Nintendo DS with the real game card - they don't patch anything when running. This will eliminate compatibility problems caused by patches etc, and so further maximise compatibility. I haven't tested it but this method should let you minimize problems even when you are running future games. CycloDS supports clean ROM running too so neither wins.
[Note: Thanks for the explanation of PharaohsVizier about Clean ROM, my original statement was misleading and I rewrote the statement]

Features: I often see some people claim CycloDS is more expensive but hey it has the most features in the world. Well I believe it is due to the fact CycloDS is really a good card and it does offer many features (some of which most cards don't have), so they assume it is the best, feature-wise. Really, as a matter of fact either sides lack some features that another has, so there is no clear winner.

CycloDS has a better GUI out of the stock. Supercard DS One has a poort factory settings (but it ca be improved by a bit tweaking).

CycloDS has a better real-time guide. Supercard DS One real-time guide isn't look nice.

However Supercard DS One has built-in multi-save features. CycloDS doesn't really support it.

Supercard DS One has multi-OS support. So you can enjoy the benefits offered by different OSes (as a point no OS can be the best in every aspect!). Someone has worked for you so you don't need to go through a lot of steps yourself. Simply download the unofficial multi-OS on the forum and extract it. Done. CycloDS doesn't have it. It is a big disadvantage.

The above are just some comparison. As you see it is hard to draw a clear conclusion that either side is better than another, feature-wise. Depending on what features are more important to you, you may have different conclusion. I value the features missing by CycloDS a lot. Thus considered that I even need to pay double for something that still miss some good features, I would say Supercard DS One is even better than CycloDS, feature-wise. What's more it is half the price of CycloDS.

I agree if someone says CycloDS is slightly better. But if it says it is clearly better or clearly has most features, I strongly disagree. They didn't do a neck-by-neck comparison to draw such a conclusion.

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you PharaohsVizier. My original explanation is really bad and misleading. Thanks for pointing that out. I have rewriten my statements.

PharaohsVizier's comparison is very good. I learnt much more about their differences from the review too.

But there is one point worth mentioning, the multi-OS.
The review assumes you need go through all those steps to install multi-OS. Actually someone has done the work for us already. As a normal user what you need do is to download the unofficial package somewhere and install. It's a piece of cake.

RhiGhost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm don't know about the other carts, but I can tell you to stay away from DS Fire Card, I've had 2 friends buy them and had alot of trouble with them straight out of the box.
I use an N-Card clone called the K6, I've had it for almost 2 years and had no problem what so ever with it. I did have to reformat it once, but it was very easy once I found out how. Any firmware updates and homebrew made for the N-Card work with the K6.

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Guys, thanks for all your replies! I managed to find a great deal here that swung me a second-hand CycloDS Evo, got it for cheap
smile.gif
Also included an 8gig sandisk card too.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
The sluggist GUI of the SCDS1 can be sped up as long as you choose the right settings, I've managed to bring mine up to the speed of most flash carts. It is just a tricky process of fixing the problems with the default ini file. It's all detailed in my comparison in my sig (I hope).

Tricky ? LoL, maybe so on planet retard.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I'll make this difficult, DocL16 doesn't live in RHS' shipping area. Gamersection.ca fetches him a Cyclo around there. But he seems to have managed, pfft... I cannot find any Cyclo deals around here. And those that ship to Europe aren't cheap.

Phillipines

Sub-Total: $52.95
Standard Postal Service (Worldwide) (Online Tracking (7-10 Business Days)): $11.75
Shipping Surcharge(Outside Of Canada): $5.45
Total: $70.15

Order is processed in Canadian Dollars, and by conversion from USD to CAD you save 0.1% the money. XD At $71 you can get a Supercard DS One + 8GB Sandisk class 2 + EZflash 3in1 from DealExtreme. Cyclo should really priced down, it is such overkill.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto