What is the best Flashcart for NDS? New NDS owner here :D

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Amici, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Amici
    OP

Member Amici GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I understand that there are a lot of topics dedicated to this topic already, and as of the moment my current lurking in the forums suggest that the best of the current Flashcarts here are the Supercard DSone and the EZFlash V. However, I've heard problems from both sides from different sites (SC DSone has this PSRAM thing, while EZFlash is old?), so I'm asking you guys directly which you recommend going for?

I'm not exactly n00b when it comes to setting up hardware and software for consoles/handhelds (I have a PSP that has CFW that I installed myself and a modded PS2), so pros such as it's newbie-friendly don't really matter to me since I'm a quick learner, provided there are good tutorials and documentations.. I'm looking for bang-for-the-buck pros, features, durability, and compatibility. So can anyone enlighten me? And make a good, objective comparison between the two?

Thanks!

2. 13375p34k3r

Member 13375p34k3r GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The best DS flashcard, is called the SEARCH FEATURE. I've tried it and it's totally wicked. I mean one button and all my doubts were quashed. Sarcasm aside IMO the best DS flashcard is probably one of these 3: AceKard 2, Cylco DS, EDGE. That is of course my opinion, and is not in any way meant to represent the opinions of others.

3. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    m3 supercard and cyclods are probably the best

4. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    money wise:Acekard 2 should suffice
    Feature wise:Cyclod DS
    Seriously...use the search engine next time. It's not hard(just type best slot 1 device)

5. Leein

Newcomer Leein Member

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=75495

Post right below yours. Take the time to read through it, don't expect people to come to you.

Anyway, I have no experience from em, but it seems CycloDS is one of the best, but also one of the most expensive. A good budget card is an AK2.

6. Amici
    OP

Philippines
    Thanks for the prompt replies guys. I did use the search function, and spent a whole 20 minutes reading through a lengthy discussion about the pros of SC DSone, how EZFlash V was better. I thought maybe I can save some time if you guys had quick answers. This is the very reason why I wanted to ask straightforward, since in my reading I thought that the 2 were the best.. and as it turns out, there are more options out there. Apologies.

Anyway, CycloDS? I think I'll consider that too...but what about my 2 aforementioned cards? Aren't they any good?

7. DeathBringer

Newcomer DeathBringer Member

Canada
    i like the Acekard 2

8. Bootsum

Newcomer Bootsum Member

United States
    Did you read this:
    Which flash cards / carts do you recomend buying? [Solution]

Here is a few good candidates (2008):
    1. Supercard DS One -- reasonably priced, feature-rich, top-notch card
    2. CycloDS Evolution -- very expensive (twice the price of Supercard DS One), feature-rich, top-notch card
    3. Acekard2 -- cheap, basic features
    4. EzFlash V Plus -- cheap, basic features (more premium features are adding)

Regarding your questions
    1) Supercard DS One -- PSRAM errors
    In short I don't think it is a major issue. Every card has bad builds. It's not something that you will have 10% chance to get a faulty card. I wouldn't be too worried about this. Anyway this sort of errors can be detected within the first few days of usage. If you are really unlucky, just send it back for replacement. No big deal.

More info for your reading:
    Some users reported that Supercard DS One may suffer from PSRAM error in the recent builds.
    Simply speaking if you get PSRAM error your build is faulty. You should return it to the retailer for a replacement within warranty.

As to how widespread the problem is, I did a search for "PSRAM" in its official Chinese forum (where there are more activities than the English one). It only returns 7 results. The distribution:
    2006 Dec: 1 report
    2007: 5 reports
    2008 Aug: 1 report

Then I did a search in the English official forum. It returns 18 results. The distribution:
    2007: 6 reports
    2008: 12 reports (of which 7 occurs in first half while 5 in second half)

From the result it doesn't seem the recent builds particularly suffer from PSRAM error.
    Hope this short piece of information helps you to make judgment.

2) EZFlash V -- an old card??
    If you get EZFlash V Plus, it's a new card.
    EZFlash V Plus is not in the same level as Supercard DS One but it's cheaper.
    Personally I would recommend Supercard DS One since I found several of the premium very useful. I find some unexpected uses of those features.

I don't recommend CycloDS. Price-wise, CycloDS is double the price of Supercard DS One. Feature-wise, both are very close to each other (I would say Supercard DS One is even better due to multi-save and multi-OS support).

9. dipper145

Member dipper145 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    IMO, you can't really go wrong in choosing any of the following:

Edge, Cyclo, Supercard DS ONE, M3, Acekard 2.

It doesn't really matter which one you choose out of those if your just looking to play games and nothing else special. All of them I believe support microSDHC.

If you are looking for certain features, like realtime save, guides, cheats, you should research which cards have those and then choose the one that suits you best.

Another thing to consider is when your looking at the problems of certain cards, you have to realize that even though you might see many posts claiming "Help! I have this problem!" Most people go to fourms to seek help for their problems, they wouldn't specifically make a thread saying "Everything works perfectly!".

10. Amici
    OP

Philippines
    Ok, thanks guys! I'll think about what you said [​IMG] So far, I'm thinking about the Supercard DSone between the CycloDS. IT may all depend on its availability here in the Philippines though. Although, ordering online is an option, but I wouldn't know the cheapest site to shop from.

EDIT:
    Yeah, lol. As a matter of fact, this was the post that I read for the 20 minutes. A good read, though a little too overwhelming for a Flascart newbie such as I. [​IMG]

11. NDStemp

Member NDStemp GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp

Canada
    All flash carts have its down sides and good sides.

12. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    Exactly right. Those three are very good quality that you will like. Although I would add the SuperCard DS ONE. I have that, Acekard 2, and EDGE. So far, I use Acekard 2 the most.

13. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Though the CycloDS is more expensive, it is the most stable, most compatible, has the most features and has the very best Dev team. Go for it. I have one and am very satisfied with it.

14. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't recommend the SCDS1 to anyone.

15. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    My friend has one. neither would I.

16. dipper145

Canada
    What makes them so unusable? They do pretty much anything any other flashcard does, supports SDHC, runs every game with no problems, I don't know why you wouldn't reccomend any flashcard... Unless they have a bad reputation for having poor compatability, only support microsd, or break your ds..

17. moodswinger

Member moodswinger GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    i think it's because of the slow gui of the scds1.
    and it is not that easy to use also; a lot more complicated compared to other carts.

docl16:

i know an online store here in the philippines and i think they sell all of your preferred flash cards.
    i've bought from them before so i know they're good. [​IMG]

here's the link: rocksoftonline.com

18. dipper145

Canada
    The sluggish GUI is a reason why you wouldn't reccomend a flashcard? That seems an extremely poor reason to not recomend something. Maybe if you have ADD or OCD it might acually bug you, but to the average person, they won't care. Oh no, it takes an extra half a second to choose the game I want to play, This flashcard is awful because of that!

19. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    There is only a very, very small number Supercard DS1 PSRAM errors.
    IMHO a non issue.

As EZflash Vplus being old??
    Hae ??? what do you mean by this??

Anyways ... these 2 carts are very good.

But also consider the Cyclo DS Evolution and the Acekard2.
    The first being a top of the notch cart, with as many features as the supercard DS1, and a faster GUI, the AK2 is a low feature, but very nice GUI cart.

Simply read the reviews for those 4 carts on GBATemp, and also use the forum search engine.

20. Nathan-NL

Member Nathan-NL GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    The CycloDS Evolution is absolutely the best flashcard you can get ATM, the last new feature is a battery save function, isn't that great?