What games require actual skills from players?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legitimately speaking. Can call of duty be called "skillful" or just entirely luck based? Is tetris all blind luck too or needs careful planing for one to truly have fun? What about pokemon? MMOs/MOBAs are all "ZURG RUSH!!" to me. The old days were more skill based or is it the same as today's games?
What do you think?

Reactions: ComeTurismO

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dark souls games (and related titles) seem to be more skill based games. If you dont know what you are doing or you rush through the game, you will die and you will die a lot. You cannot really rush these games. Yes and most new games seem to be a lot easier (for the most part) than older games. I think part of this is due to old games were more limited in memory/space so the games couldnt be as long. So to make up for this they made the difficulty of the games very hard to make the game last longer.

Reactions: chavosaur

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is just how i see it.

Allmost all games require a amount of "skill" and "luck" which can be either positively or negatively influenced, the amount at which this can be done changes depending on the game's played, and against who/what it is played IA or human. As in Tetris you could say that one would need "luck" to get the right block, or "skill" to use the block given to its fullest extent. With fighting games you would need at least some "luck" to get a enemy to "give" you an opening but you also need to be able to take advantage of it which would take "skill". Even if you get "luck" you would also need to be able to take advantage of it, thus "skill" is needed you could go through just using "luck". But with every step a increasing amount of "luck" would be needed, lets say you get 4 buttons you need to push in a certain order (Simon says) the "skill" part would be able to remember the order of the buttons. With "luck" the first one would if i remember right (i don't calculate luck much ) be 1/4 next 1/8, 1/12 and so on. in short "luck" is always a factor no matter how small and so is "skill", being capable of taking advantage of "luck" is what matters the most. one who is talented but does not train will just become a normal person in a few years, he had the "luck" but did not take advantage of it "skill", of coarse being capable of taking advantage of it is again based both on "luck" and "skill", and so it keeps going.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just how i see it.

Allmost all games require a amount of "skill" and "luck" which can be either positively or negatively influenced, the amount at which this can be done changes depending on the game's played, and against who/what it is played IA or human. As in Tetris you could say that one would need "luck" to get the right block, or "skill" to use the block given to its fullest extent. With fighting games you would need at least some "luck" to get a enemy to "give" you an opening but you also need to be able to take advantage of it which would take "skill". Even if you get "luck" you would also need to be able to take advantage of it, thus "skill" is needed you could go through just using "luck". But with every step a increasing amount of "luck" would be needed, lets say you get 4 buttons you need to push in a certain order (Simon says) the "skill" part would be able to remember the order of the buttons. With "luck" the first one would if i remember right (i don't calculate luck much ) be 1/4 next 1/8, 1/12 and so on. in short "luck" is always a factor no matter how small and so is "skill", being capable of taking advantage of "luck" is what matters the most. one who is talented but does not train will just become a normal person in a few years, he had the "luck" but did not take advantage of it "skill", of coarse being capable of taking advantage of it is again based both on "luck" and "skill", and so it keeps going.

But don't forget: RNG manipulation/abuse/tactics are at work too.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fighting games require skill.

Beat me to it but this especially, along with platformers like Mario(2d or 3d), Mega Man, Ghouls n Ghosts, Castlevania(2d) and other games that require pinpoint timing/precision. Shmups fit this description as well but I'm fucking awful at them.

Reactions: 730 and cvskid

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just about everything you named requires skill. Some take more time to learn than others, some are a combination of both luck and skill, but blindly pressing buttons won't get you far in any of those games. If there are any games that don't require skill, it's the free to play "wait X hours to build a new thing" games.

Reactions: 730

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I must ask this what is required to have fun? Blind luck or having skill? A card game like yugioh (believe it or not) is very luck based while MTG isn't (think chess) then again it depends on who netdecks who and has the most money to blow on 'netdecking' and calls themselves "the best player" just from copying off of one person's idea. It's bad for the metagame which is why you have anti meta decks stuffs etc for mixing it up but short lived due to well..luck.

Reactions: ComeTurismO

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I think pretty much any game that requires tight reaction and precision can be called skillful; platformers, fighting games, Counter-Strike etc. Being good at an RPG is somewhat skillful but is more or less knowing where everything is and what the best way to go through the game is.

Reactions: 730 and Margen67

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really depends on the RPG and how you play it, which is why I like them so much. There are millions of different ways to play them, kill bosses, challenge yourself and employ weird, unique strategies. Low level challenges, intentionally having shitty equipment and countless other things can make them either much easier or a million times harder. Memorization or grinding and brute forcing are just 2 ways to do it but there are so many other methods that all depend on the game you're talking about.

jDSX: Fun is completely relative. What one person finds fun, I may find sleep inducing and vice versa. If you like something then you like it, plain and simple and fuck anyone who gives you shit for it.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon games do, you need to know a lot to be good

Competitive play, yeah, skill is needed big time. It's a bit telling though that there was no variety in the top 8 in VGC this year. Very similar teams, so sometimes it's just based on the Pokemon. More skill is shown when victory comes no matter what the pokemon is, like the Parchirisu guy.

Also time is important, the more of that you spend on planning and trying out teams against others, the better you can get. That's why I suck, I don't think things out for too long.

Another game though that requires skills, if fast reflexes counts, is Bayonetta 1 and 2. At first I was losing lives all the time. Once you beat the games, replays are more doable. They're not incredibly easier, but now I just try chapters over and over for Platinum and Pure Platinum. The repetition of those right after playing them helps. The problem is rust. I haven't played in months, so I may be back to sucking when I play both games. Bayonetta 1 is slightly harder too, but both overall are relentless.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
games on old consoles/computers requires more skills than newer games.
now players are spoiled with everything needed to be easy : easy visual, easy menu, easy difficulty, easy controls : like when you jump, you can move in the air and gauge the distance to the land spot by how much you press your controller, while in 8bit era it was either "jump vertically or jump a specific and always identical pixel precision distance". ever played Castlevania on Nes? or Battle of olympus? or TMHT ?

D

Deleted User

MOBA games like DotA 2 and League of Legends. Personally I suck at them.

Dark souls is ridiculously hard. Couldn't complete the first level.

Then there's games like Sm4sh and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which are tough, but doable.

Maybe I just couldn't bring myself to get good at games that I don't find fun.

Atlas_Noire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Almost all games require skill as far as I'm concerned. The only game that I don't have any skill at all are fighting games. I always get beaten by my older brother at Tekken and Mortal Kombat. I'm more into racing, RPG and hack'n slash games. Games like Dark Souls require a lot of skill, but it's just a matter of getting used to the controls. MOBAs like Dota and League of Legends require careful planning and sheer luck, so you can get ahead.

I find all games fun, whether if I win or lose, since I rarely worry about results.

Last edited by Atlas_Noire,

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
games on old consoles/computers requires more skills than newer games.
now players are spoiled with everything needed to be easy : easy visual, easy menu, easy difficulty, easy controls : like when you jump, you can move in the air and gauge the distance to the land spot by how much you press your controller, while in 8bit era it was either "jump vertically or jump a specific and always identical pixel precision distance". ever played Castlevania on Nes? or Battle of olympus? or TMHT ?

Yeah, I started gaming with an NES and a ton of second hand games and just to get past most first levels in games back then you had to die over and over and over and memorize enemy placement. Fucking Ninja Gaiden is a perfect example of this and I was never able to come even close to beating it. Even the "easier" platformers like SMB were fairly hard if you didn't know what you were doing but when you beat some of those old NES games it felt GOOD because you knew you did it without your hand being held. I remember finally beating Double Dragon 3 on the NES when I was 8; the last boss is horrendously cheap but oh so satisfying to kill. I'm not about to attempt that again though. Kinda like beating Japanese arcade Ghouls n' Ghosts; it's one of those things I'd rather not put myself through again because I was screaming obscenities at my computer screen at 3 AM. I can beat the US Genesis version on professional because it has boss checkpoints but the JP/World arcade version is BRUTAL.

You have any games that were especially satisfying to beat? Karnov on the NES was another satisfying one despite the ending being shit.

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rogue likes require adaptation ... can't rely on memorization of timing / places.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I started gaming with an NES and a ton of second hand games and just to get past most first levels in games back then you had to die over and over and over and memorize enemy placement. Fucking Ninja Gaiden is a perfect example of this and I was never able to come even close to beating it. Even the "easier" platformers like SMB were fairly hard if you didn't know what you were doing but when you beat some of those old NES games it felt GOOD because you knew you did it without your hand being held. I remember finally beating Double Dragon 3 on the NES when I was 8; the last boss is horrendously cheap but oh so satisfying to kill. I'm not about to attempt that again though. Kinda like beating Japanese arcade Ghouls n' Ghosts; it's one of those things I'd rather not put myself through again because I was screaming obscenities at my computer screen at 3 AM. I can beat the US Genesis version on professional because it has boss checkpoints but the JP/World arcade version is BRUTAL.

You have any games that were especially satisfying to beat? Karnov on the NES was another satisfying one despite the ending being shit.
Dude taking out Alakatai was absolutely the best

Karnov_NES_Stage9_b.png

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think skill in games is: required planning, or required on-the-fly thought or a good reaction time. Obviously different games will require different levels of skill in different areas. That doesn't necessarily make a game good, though. I enjoy both Dark Souls and The Stanley Parable, but one requires significantly more skill while the other doesn't really require any skill. They're both still great in their own ways.

Last edited by TecXero,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never completed ninja gaiden. I always went up to the same level, which was very far, but always frustrated to reach so far and never can go further.

On NES, I've not beaten a lot of games.
- Snake Rattle 'N roll (took me ages, few years !!!!) I was sooo happy to finally complete it.
- Castlevania 2 ~ Simon's quest (one of my first completed game, and back then I didn't understood english... just went random everywere until I completed it :D ). It wasn't a very hard game for me.
- Dragon Ball (my first bought game on NES) easy to complete too, even if some parts or boss were hard.
- Zelda 1 (not hard) but it was satisfying to complete it
- Zelda 2 (hard, and I didn't like it at first, but you learn to like it. Finally I completed it multiple times) That one was satisfying to complete.
- Maniac Mansion.
- few others I completed, but they are not satisfying (like bubble bobble, it's only puzzle levels, one after the other. no real challenge)

There are games I don't remember if I completed or not (gradius, lifeforce, Mario2, Mario3, Chip'n Dale, duck tales, etc.). I think I did.

Games I wish I had completed but never could :
- Ninja gaiden (most frustrating game lol)
- Battle of Olympus (Always fall in a hole where I had to jump over it... damn those "fixed pixel long jumps" were horrible)

My NES stats : 33 never completed, 19 (almost certain) completed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...