What are your favorite gaming experiences that are lost to time?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With fears of what the eshop closing will mean for many digital only 3DS and Wii U games, it got me thinking about the current gaming landscape and what we already can't play anymore. It could be an official AAA title, or even a flash game you once loved, whatever it is, what's a great game or gaming related experience that you can no longer experience today that was your favorite?

I'll get the ball rolling with an obvious choice, Super Mario Bros 35. That was a fantastic battle royale take on a classic game for the Switch, that honestly could be broken pretty easily, I'm not the greatest Mario player, but I got first in that shit more times than I can remember, meanwhile I still haven't gotten better than second in Tetris 99. I don't see why it had to end while Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99 can continue to live on.

I have a copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, so I'm not missing out on that one, but I can see how that might make someone's list.

I also miss, though it's not a game, TVii on the Wii U, that was a fun way to make even the process of watching TV (and especially sporting events) all the more engaging. It's funny how the Xbone pushed TV has such a big part of it's capabilities, but didn't offer anything as unique and engaging as TVii could be within the platform.

But I digress, I've clearly limited my scope to Nintendo experiences, but that's just because I'm a big ole Nintendo fanboy, I'm certain other games and experiences can be found elsewhere. Regardless, what titles fit this bill for you and why?

Reactions: Xzi

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miss the era of Streetpass and the excitement of taking my 3DS to E3/AnimeExpo/events in general and just drowning in Streetpass connections. When I worked at Nintendo's PTD, it too was a goldmine of Streetpass passersby, and it was great clearing out a Puzzle Swap puzzle in a week or less. Definitely a product of its time, and it's a shame there isn't anything comparable these days.

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bioshock for ios. I never got to finish it before the newer ios broke it (though i did finish it on pc). Recently I installed in on a jailbroken ipad, but the battery to expand shortly after once again killing my chances of finishing it

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm currently playing the board game 'le havre' as a solo game. Because it's a heavy and long game with tough setup time, I'd rather play this as a video game. And yes, there's a version for it...

...exclusively on an old iOS. It might still work, but I'm not buying a whole platform on the chance to play it(emulating also seems like a no go).

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not technically lost to the world, but certainly an experience that's long been lost from my life, was Game Boy link cable play. Two-player Tetris or up to 4-player Super RC Pro AM were incredibly fun competitive experiences on the bus to school or at lunch break.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not technically lost to the world, but certainly an experience that's long been lost from my life, was Game Boy link cable play. Two-player Tetris or up to 4-player Super RC Pro AM were incredibly fun competitive experiences on the bus to school or at lunch break.
OG Zelda Four Swords on the GBA, too. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to complete it on mine.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OG Zelda Four Swords on the GBA, too. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to complete it on mine.
At least the DSi version of Four Swords brought the same and even improved experience back to the DSi and 3DS making connecitng for multiplayer far easier to accomplish in the time since the GBA. Of course it doesn't help that they pulled the DSiware version pretty quickly (though it is easy enough to get ahold of for a hacked system thankfully).

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
At least the DSi version of Four Swords brought the same and even improved experience back to the DSi and 3DS making connecitng for multiplayer far easier to accomplish in the time since the GBA. Of course it doesn't help that they pulled the DSiware version pretty quickly (though it is easy enough to get ahold of for a hacked system thankfully).
oh yeah, I forgot the DSiWare version also had multiplayer lol

but still, playing through FS on GBA to unlock the new stuff on the ALttP side, that was unique to the GBA version

Reactions: Tarmfot

Yulian_guardsman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
The original xbox 360 Halo 3 finally went offline last december. There was no huge community effort to revive it for one last hurrah like there was for halo 2 back in 2012. Guess it was just a sign of the times.

Discordfags truly are a plague.

Last edited by Yulian_guardsman,
Reactions: Wolfy

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I remember a SNES videogame from when I was a kid. It was a rental, some sort of shoot them up. I am pretty sure the game still exists. The reason it's lost to me is because I can't remember it. At this point it's such an old memory that I cannot recall anything about it aside from the genre and that it was set in space. I think you went from left to right, so like almost all other games in that genre. My mind gets kind of foggy the older I get. I've tried to look for it but I think even if I did find it at some point it's possible I couldn't recognize it. It has always bugged me because I have found every other game I played on the SNES. From really recognizable games like Sunset Riders to some obscure stuff like Pirates of black waters or the twisted tales of spike mcfang. I have come to accept that I will probably go the rest of my life without remembering it.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember a SNES videogame from when I was a kid. It was a rental, some sort of shoot them up. I am pretty sure the game still exists. The reason it's lost to me is because I can't remember it. At this point it's such an old memory that I cannot recall anything about it aside from the genre and that it was set in space. I think you went from left to right, so like almost all other games in that genre. My mind gets kind of foggy the older I get. I've tried to look for it but I think even if I did find it at some point it's possible I couldn't recognize it. It has always bugged me because I have found every other game I played on the SNES. From really recognizable games like Sunset Riders to some obscure stuff like Pirates of black waters or the twisted tales of spike mcfang. I have come to accept that I will probably go the rest of my life without remembering it.
I can really relate to that. But not for a video game in my case. For the longest time, I tried to remember the name of a full length (about 90 minutes) animated movie from the 80's, that I saw on TV back then. I know it was a european movie, but I don't know which country. The story was involving a princess and a normal guy on a journey trying to get back to her kingdom in mediaval times. Or something like that. I've searched for hours lists of animated movies from that era, to no avail. Frustrating! I'm sure I could watch it or download it somewhere, if only I knew the name. :cry:

Reactions: kite21

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Dust2dust do you remember other details for your movie? what language did they spe​

ak? How did they travel? Was it a serie or movie? Magic or time machine?​

kite21 can you give some detail max concerning your game, I know thousands of games even old​

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh yeah, I forgot the DSiWare version also had multiplayer lol

but still, playing through FS on GBA to unlock the new stuff on the ALttP side, that was unique to the GBA version
I don't remember there being anything you could unlock in ALttP through Four Swords on the GBA, and I totally did beat it wit a few of my friends way back in the day. I'm not saying that isn't the case, I just don't remember that doing anything.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TMNT Turtles in Time ReShelled. I still have the demo on my PS3 but due to the game being delisted from PSN I can't play the full game. Thanks, Ubisoft.

• Sad
Reactions: Sworly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1