What exactly is the Ocarina 3D exploit?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by SableSugar, Mar 23, 2015.

1. SableSugar
    OP

SableSugar Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    I've been seeing talk about the Ocarina exploit everywhere lately, but no actual information on what it is / what it does. All I know is that it involves save files.

Would it allow an average user without a Gateway / Cubic Ninja to execute homebrew or is it something unrelated? Sorry if this question comes off as ignorant or stupid.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica

Without throwing a bunch of programmer's jargon at you, it basically crashes Ocarina of Time 3D and begins executing whatever "garbage" (ROP stuff, but as I said, I won't get into it) it finds in the save file. If done correctly, that can lead to an environment being set up where homebrew can be launched, yes, since that's how Gateway and Ninjhax work (but in this case, it would be done with OoT 3D). Up to this point though, nobody has released anything significant (aside from Gateway) that runs off of the OoT exploit, though.

Not at this current point in time, no. If KARL3DS or OSKA are ported to this exploit, then yes, you could run homebrew via OoT 3D without needing another game or a flash cart.

Margen67 and Sirius64 like this.
  3. raynor_ni

raynor_ni Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Margen67 likes this.
  4. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Crashes and starts executing code.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. codeclutch

codeclutch Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Good explanation and I myself am excited to see what the scene brings us, hell even if it's just a stable(r) launcher for cfw I'd be happy.

Margen67 likes this.