What do you think is the best Pokemon game?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Pokemon Ruby, hands down my favorite pokemon game. I love the features it introduced, mostly the hidden bases and different bikes to pick from.
I really wish they would bring those two features back! The hidden bases would be quite fun online!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yellow. It had improved sprites from the original game, a built-in Gameboy Colour palette and the Pikachu following you around had its charm. Everything from there onwards went downhill, convoluting the game and adding unnecessary additions to the stats system rather than improving the core gameplay. The games are far behind the times and desperately need a revamp. Give me a 3D Pokemon game played from a Third Person Perspective and I'll happily lap it up. As it is now? No, thanks. I'm not a fan of reheated burgers in greasy, old paper sold as if they were a fresh product.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Gen 3. Or to be more specific, Ruby. Maybe because I'm blinded by nostalgia, but I love gen 3.

I have no idea why it got so much hate back in the day.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heart Gold and Soul Silver. If they didn't exist, my vote would go to Gold and Silver, because that gen just did everything right, but the remakes took all of that and added so many great new features:

your pokemon walks behind you
you have the pokewalker
you get to explore two regions which really makes them two games in one
They had the best selection of pokemon, after generation 2, the pokemon designs went downhill fast (for the most part) if you ask me.

Reactions: 1 person

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I liked the tropical world and new pokemon of gen 3 the most.

Pokemon Ruby, hands down my favorite pokemon game. I love the features it introduced, mostly the hidden bases and different bikes to pick from.
I really wish they would bring those two features back! The hidden bases would be quite fun online!
These. I still don't understand what the "Spaceship launch success number x" is for though, if it even is for anything. :unsure:
I wouldn't say Emerald as I really hate how they made it so we could get the massively high leveled Rayquaza before we even beat the Elite Four.
@The Catboy They tried with the underground in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, they just failed.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of my top 5, I'd have to say it like this:

1. G/S/C (Remakes too)
2. R/S/E (Can't wait for the remakes here)
3. D/P/P (They brought the awesomeness and depth to a higher level)
4. R/B/Y (My favourite Pokemon are here)
5. The Ranger Series
?? Everything else

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i like all the main RPG games, pokemon is not like some other games where know not sure where you left off once you stopped playing for awhile.

27873636.jpg

kelpso

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Definitely G/S/C and their remakes. I have replayed every single one over and over again and I am still fascinated by the story length, considering technology in those days.

D

Deleted_171835

HeartGold/SoulSilver.

+ Two regions and 16 gym leaders.
+ Some of the best music in the series, even the option to switch from original chiptune soundtrack to new arranged themes
+ Pokemon following the player!
+ Best menu layout (with the A, B and running shoes on the bottom-screen, you can play the whole game with just the D-Pad and touch-screen).
+ Auto-run!
+ Giovanni.

Black and White do have the best battle system, though. I love those animated sprites and the battles are so fast!
apSRe.gif

Reactions: 3 people

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HeartGold/SoulSilver.

+ Some of the best music in the series, even the option to switch from original chiptune soundtrack to new arranged themes
+ Best menu layout (with the A, B and running shoes on the bottom-screen, you can play the whole game with just the D-Pad and touch-screen).
+ Auto-run!
+ Giovanni.

Black and White do have the best battle system, though. I love those animated sprites and the battles are so fast!
apSRe.gif
This is why I like Soulx.
He is right

Reactions: 2 people

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Looking back on the series so far, in order I'd have to say;

1. HeartGold/SoulSilver; because the game was so expansive, and you could do so much.
2. R/S/E; because these were my first games.
3. FireRed; because that's the remake of the game that started it all.
4. Mystery Dungeon series. They have such a good storyline and gameplay.
5. Black and White. They added so much to the series.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not saying it's the best, but i think the one i like the most is Crystal (and Gold/Silver too i guess you could say.)
i just like the pokemon in that generation so much more over the first one, and the whole thing feels more complete.

one of the things i like about pokemon is that the basics of the game barely change, you can play two games 10 years appart and you wont be lost at all.

i also love the time back when GSC came out

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
One quick question. When I played Soul Silver, there were 2 regions. Kanto And Jotho. Any other game has 16 badges instead of 8? (apart from Heart Gold of course)
None, but BW2 has PWT. You can battle almost all gym leaders and champions in that one. They only have 3 pokemon though at Lv50(singles) but they can still be a challenge since your levels are made the same + no items.

I would say RSE were my favorites, as I actually completed the whole Hoenn + Dex in that game. BW2 were good too. My least fav was probably DP, but Platinum was wayyyyy better (mainly because of faster battle animations).

Reactions: 1 person

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gen 3. Or to be more specific, Ruby. Maybe because I'm blinded by nostalgia, but I love gen 3.

I have no idea why it got so much hate back in the day.
Probably because it was rushed and feature axed.

HeartGold/SoulSilver.

+ Auto-run!
+ Giovanni.

apSRe.gif
This is why I like Soulx.
He is right

Wow Soulx nailed it.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
HeartGold/SoulSilver.

+ Auto-run!
+ Giovanni.
OFT.

If there is one thing I thought could have improved HGSS, it would have to be the VS Seeker. Though they did somewhat make up for it with the Gym Leader rebattle in the dojo feature. But still no harm done if it were to be included. Ok fine I lied. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if they threw in Sevii Islands just for lulz even if there really isn't any point to it. Cmon, admit it. It would have been fun. But seriously, there really isn't anything bad about HGSS imho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1