best Pokémon title for a 7 yr old?

EchoStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Nintendo switch for my 7yo son, he is an AVID reader and likes Pokémon and the Pokémon cards. He already collects them and tries to play the card game even by himself. what would be the best starting Pokémon title for him? he reads at a pretty good level.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a 3DS handy I’d probably say any of those games would do them well. Pokemon XY and ORAS are particularly easy for newcomers and honestly just great games. If you just have a Switch then I’d probably say Sword and Shield over the newest games since they’re more traditional and maybe a little easier for somebody younger. The Let’s Go games are also really fun, and a good middle ground if they’ve played Go on your phone at all already.

EchoStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 3DS handy I’d probably say any of those games would do them well. Pokemon XY and ORAS are particularly easy for newcomers and honestly just great games. If you just have a Switch then I’d probably say Sword and Shield over the newest games since they’re more traditional and maybe a little easier for somebody younger. The Let’s Go games are also really fun, and a good middle ground if they’ve played Go on your phone at all already.
this is very helpful, thanks. Sword and shield and the Lets Go evee / pikachu sound like what I am looking for. There are so many pokemon games, it gets confusing fast.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this is very helpful, thanks. Sword and shield and the Lets Go evee / pikachu sound like what I am looking for. There are so many pokemon games, it gets confusing fast.
Yeah that’s totally reasonable. Of the others on the Switch:

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are very fun games based on the DS Diamond and Pearl. They feature fewer mechanics compared to the newer generations, but are a little harder as a whole.

Legends Arceus is fun but again does have a few difficulty spikes that could make it unapproachable as a first game. It’s also quite different to other Pokemon games, so if they really liked it they might be disappointed when the other games don’t play the same.

Scarlet and Violet are the newest ones, and while I do enjoy them a lot, they fall short on performance and visuals. Really interesting open world to play on, but probably something I’d recommend once they’ve tried a few other games.

Hope all that helps anyway, and here’s hoping they enjoy the series!

• Love
Reactions: EchoStorm

QueenNirn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a first pokémon game for your 7 year old I recommend Let's Go Eevee. They won't easily get lost, the pokédex isn't too big, it's not too challenging, and shinies appear outside of battle (meaning you are able to see shiny Pokemon while walking around unlike other games such as Sword/Shield where you have to engage in battle. Plus, the type system isn't vast like Violet/Scarlet so it's less stressful.

DestinyWells

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great to hear that your 7-year-old son is an avid reader and enjoys Pokémon and Pokémon cards
  • Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  • Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee

Reactions: SylverReZ

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Nintendo switch for my 7yo son, he is an AVID reader and likes Pokémon and the Pokémon cards. He already collects them and tries to play the card game even by himself. what would be the best starting Pokémon title for him? he reads at a pretty good level.
Probably the Let's Go games? They are definitely the most simplistic titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjocrCuXN-w