What do you think is the best Pokemon game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by lismati, Sep 29, 2012.

Sep 29, 2012
  1. lismati
    OP

Member lismati Speedrunner in practice

Poland
    Honestly, I have to admit I haven't played every one of them. Amongst those I did are
    • Red
    • Leaf Green
    • XD Gale Of Darkness
    • Soul Silver
    • Platinium
    I think about starting a new one, but I don't really want to lose my progress in already played games.
    What are the best pokemon games in your opinion? Or what editions do you consider needed to play?

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    To be honest with Pokemon, when you've played one you've played them all. Apart from Gale of Darkness which was just dull.

5 people like this.
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Generation 5 (B/W) added some new concepts and changed gameplay to be less annoying.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Black_and_White_Versions
    So it's worth a play.

4. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    I think my favourites will always be Diamond/Pearl, just because I played the hell out of those when I was younger, and was so excited for Platinum. I also liked Gen 5, which added many features as Rydian said.

5. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Gold/Silver they were a huge step up from Red/Blue. I actually remember queing for that game back in 96 I had a £5 voucher for it from Nintendo Magazine. I got Red my friend got Blue and we sat in the shopping centre all day nerding out

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The base game really hasn't evolved too much over the years. It's a fine base game (don't fix what isn't broken and all that), but the differences between the versions aren't all that striking.

The last one I really got into was... Gold, I think, so I'll go with that.

7. Prime_Zero

Member Prime_Zero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My opinion is both Gold and Silver games the originals and the remakes, though I hold Heart Gold and Soul Silver as the current top Pokemon games. I never liked any of the spin off games or consul ones.

Playing black for the first time now... not seeing what every one else is in Pokemon black... the pokemon are possibly the worst in terms of graphics sense the orignals on the Gameboy, and design wise they are the worst looking pokemon in history to boot. Ive more complaints on Black and white, but to me its like Ruby and Saphire its a step back wards with some new things in it.

8. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    My favorite are Crystal,Firered,Diamond and Black 2.
    And Black/White is the worst one.

9. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    white 2,black 2: because they are newer

10. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    This. They're all the same game..so the latest is always the "best" revision.

Though the last time pokemon was fun was original gold/silver.

11. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Well, I've only played through Blue, Yellow, and most of Red. I'm going to go with Blue since I like the color blue more, and I thought the glitch/missingno selection in Blue/Red were much cooler than the ones in Yellow (though Yellow was still really cool with the anime references and whatnot).

12. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    If I were to answer honestly, I'd ask you to play all but since that would be a tad ridiculous, I would suggest playing Pokemon Ranger 2: Shadows of Almia. Less annoying than the first imho (and for some reason I just didnt like how I looked in the first O____o Lame excuse I know). And at least one game from each region ie Emerald and Black 2/White 2

13. lismati
    OP

Member lismati Speedrunner in practice

Poland
    One quick question. When I played Soul Silver, there were 2 regions. Kanto And Jotho. Any other game has 16 badges instead of 8? (apart from Heart Gold of course)

14. ShadowFyre

Member ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well when I was kid all I did was tank up my starter pokemon to destroy everything in its path. Hoenn was the region where I finally understood the concept of "teamwork" and using different pokemon, so Sapphire is my favorite.

15. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    To me the originals were amazing, but Gold and Silver took it so much further. Doubling the size of the game, giving you the chance to see what happened to Team Rocket, fighting Red/Ash atop Mount Silver, the red Gyrados, the radio stations, everything was turned up to eleven on those games. It took the concept to heights that as I kid I didn't think were possible. I remember the clock system and staying up late every Sunday until I found my way through those caves to finally find Lapras after a friend clued me in.

Since then the series has only taken incremental steps forward. Ruby and Sapphire were great, but weren't anywhere near as close a step forward as Gold and Silver were. There have been some great enhancemets to the series since, such as online trading and battling, but nothing ever felt as grand as that first huge leap from what was one of the defining games of our childhoods to something beyond all imagination. These days the advancements are so small I don't even notice them. Rotation battles are pointless since there are what, about half a dozen of them in total? Double wild encounters is nothing truly revolutionary, it's merely neat. I miss the feeling of real discovery and the community that was built by kids trading the latest secrets in the playground the next day. Getting a phone call telling you that there was a swarm of Dunsparce ripe for capture and bragging about finding a shiny pokemon, those where the days.

Do it one last time, Nintendo. Make the next game such a huge leap forward that today's complacent gamers won't know what hit 'em.

2 people like this.
  16. 4-leaf-clover

Member 4-leaf-clover SHSL LUCKSTER :/

Netherlands
    Pokemon diamond, I played the hell out of that game
    Though after the elite four i spend most of my time trading pokemon online got about more than 8 storage boxes full of pokemon because of that :P

17. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    Personal favorite: Gold/Silver/Crystal, the biggest world to explore + 16 badges.

If you can't find one with a working battery, try their remake on DS HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Otherwise, of course playing the original is mandatory (either on gameboy or gba via their remake).

Finally, if you want something fresh, try Black/White, as good if not better than G/S/C.

18. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    i like pokemon black the best.

19. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Pokemon Snap is the only answer.

4 people like this.
  20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I have to say Gold/Silver/Crystal myself.

It was just a really good sequel. It introduced this whole new world (before we had all these other regions) and, just to bring you back, had the old world too so you could walk down memory lane.

It also just felt really memorable. The towns, the Pokemon, the gym leaders, it was just really solid.

In all honesty it's one of my favorite games period. Nostalgic value aside it was a really fucking good RPG before the series really got stale and a lot of boring shit was added in.

1 person likes this.