• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What do you think is more harmful to the world? Racists, or religious fanatics?

Pseudo99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disinformation and scare tactics. Because the world contains fewer racists and religious fanatics (harmful ones, at least) than the fearmongers would have you believe.

Reactions: tabzer

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I particularly like the Sikh faith, and I strongly recommend anyone who doesn't know anything about them to look into their culture. It's very difficult to describe, but I have never met a Sikh who was not a humble and decent person.

I do not know nearly enough about their faith or their philosophy, but I have seen its fruit. If you know the fruit, you know the tree, and I find no fault in the Sikh religion.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I particularly like the Sikh faith, and I strongly recommend anyone who doesn't know anything about them to look into their culture. It's very difficult to describe, but I have never met a Sikh who was not a humble and decent person.

I do not know nearly enough about their faith or their philosophy, but I have seen its fruit. If you know the fruit, you know the tree, and I find no fault in the Sikh religion.
Well, can you tell us something about it?

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, can you tell us something about it?
This was my first experience with the Sikh faith.

Granted... YouTube. Popular channel. Made for Likes. But this shit is real, and corroborated by multiple other examples of Sikh people showing generosity, humility of spirit and a willingness to serve and to sacrifice without personal gain or benefit.

As I said, I don't know enough to be anything more than not completely ignorant. But here is what they have done and do, and it's a hell of a lot more than I have ever given.

I have never believed in any deity. I DO believe in a collective consciousness, and I think the Sikh faith is more aligned with that ideology than most theistic faiths. They do believe in a form of a Supreme Being, but not with the burdens of the Abrahamic faiths.

We are all one, connected by the same energy, and connected to the same God, according to the Gurus of Sikh faith. We are striving to elevate to a higher level of consciousness through awareness, humility and a desire to be a servant of our fellow man, and to alleviate their suffering.

No threats of hell or promises of heaven. Everyone on the same mountain, striving to reach a higher level, helping everyone below, supported by those above. It's like the best parts of Buddhism and Christianity, minus all the bullshit. I kind of dig it. Good people.

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,
Reactions: krakenx and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Personally I am a fan and appreciate some representation. What made the Sikh faith into the religion that you consider a bane on humanity?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I am a fan and appreciate some representation. What made the Sikh faith into the religion that you consider a bane on humanity?
Belief in a deity. That's where I have to get off the train. Same with all other theistic religions.

I unequivocally and outright deny even the possibility for any god ever described in any religion that I have ever actually researched, to actually exist. There is no god, there are no gods, there have never been any gods, there will never be any gods. Period. It is all bullshit and fantasy.

I look at religion for the good parts and what I can take away from it. Bruce Lee is a personal hero of mine. He said, and I am pretty sure this will be familiar to you, "Steal from everywhere. Adapt that which is useful. Reject that which is useless. Add to it that which is uniquely your own. That is the Tao of Jeet Kune Do".

So, when I look at organized religion, I see it in the same way as I do comic books or novels. I can take the lesson without absorbing the ideology. I can separate the dross from the gold. I can entertain an idea without having to agree with it.

There is no true faith because there are no gods, but there IS something good that we can get from most religions, if we are willing to slog through all of the bullshit to find the diamond.

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm massively stepping outside the boundaries here, generally speaking I don't delve too much into politics, though I'm not going to lie and say I have never talked about them or have never had arguments over such matters. However I've realized that a lot of these questions, remarks, etc. tend to have flaws that I feel get overlooked easily, and at times I don't think man gives real sense of thought of such matters either. Hear me out.

Humanity is known for a lot of things, good and bad, we could sit and create a list for either side all day, but I think every human here is intelligent enough to know what's what, if you don't, I recommend you indulge and educate yourself before committing to think further than this point. Man is most interesting, we operate in very counterintuitive ways to achieve what we believe is the right way to pass the finish line, whether it be towards others or within our own lives period. There is a catch here that most of you likely just missed after reading that sentence to yourself, mentally or out loud. So much fighting, when the source of the problem has always been right in front of us this entire time. Who or what is the problem, first responses, "religion, politics, extremists, blah blah blah" but what if the answer was much simpler than that? You know every day we all live our lives the way we wish, we make our own decisions, we create our own opinions and preferences, why, because we want to. We judge one another for our differences, way of living, etc. too. We want to blame something or someone for a massive problem, why, because well we see what we deem is the problem in front of us, and we always have to point it out. However, humanity has failed for many, many, many years to realize one thing, the problem has always been with yourself, much like anyone else. You see the question isn't so much "who is worse than one another?" or "who here is in the wrong?" though sure these are valid questions, but the biggest question you should be asking is "am I wrong?" Religions, government, groups, etc. in majority of cases are indeed man made, deviations of what people believe based on their own preferences or opinions, even those who claim to not believe in something and follow up with a label for themselves have fallen into the same trap, regardless of realizing it or not. Nobody here actually actively seeks the real hardcore truth in its bluntest form, and that's for two reasons.

1. People fear what they don't understand. People have killed, destroyed, ignored, and or have hidden away potential possibilities of something that could potentially be above their current comprehension, or in the case of science, their pay grade. It's better to believe what you want to believe because that's what makes the most sense to you, even if by chance you may have the wrong idea of what the real truth actually is.

2. People do not like admitting when they are potentially wrong, regardless of who you are, we have all had at least one case of this in our lives. We prefer to blame others for being wrong when realistically we are all wrong in one way shape or form, even if someone figured out the truth, as human beings we push our own concepts towards one another, instead of being constructive with it and helping people go down the right path.

What is truth really? Well, in concept, it's something that's 100% accurate, can't be argued with, set in stone, etc. Man however doesn't operate like this as much as plenty have claimed to, you operate based on your own preferences, beliefs, etc, fabricating what you believe to be the truth, in which case, that's not really truth now is it, but more like a lie of what you think is the truth. So can we point fingers at who's wrong, who is more extreme than one another, when we as a collective, yourself included, do much of the same thing you blame the other person(s) for doing, just in a different way? The game remains the same, the only difference is the players and how each of them plays, but the end always is the same for all when you look at the bigger picture. Quite clearly how we do things isn't working in life, but we refuse to admit that and continue about blaming one side, when all sides, regardless of what you believe in, is just as wrong, why, because absolutely nobody actively seeks the real truth, understands that maybe we are all wrong in some if not all ways, and attempts to live life by the truth to the best of our ability, what a real example would do.

It's so much easier and fun to over complicate what we already know the problem is, and never actually improving ourselves as a whole, than it is to just deal with the fact you are guilty, and just understanding that your preferences and opinions may not be a great compass to go by where the truth is concerned. It's not to say you shouldn't have them, but one must never stray away from the truth so much, otherwise we end up where we are today, as a whole. Confused, lost, sad, hurt, and feeling pointless, aimless, no sense of direction. We made a huge mistake, when will we stop blaming and start admitting we were wrong, and cleaning our own mess up, starting with yourself? Nobody is perfect, that's not expected, but if we are equally capable of messing up this hard, then we clearly are capable of doing the right thing for ourselves and for others.

The real truth is everyone is wrong, some just aren't as critically damaging as others.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Belief in a deity. That's where I have to get off the train. Same with all other theistic religions.

I unequivocally and outright deny even the possibility for any god ever described in any religion that I have ever actually researched, to actually exist. There is no god, there are no gods, there have never been any gods, there will never be any gods. Period. It is all bullshit and fantasy.
I'm mostly there. I'll never say 100% that there has never been a being that created everything either directly or indirectly.
But I'll gladly say with 100% certainty that any religion that we have made on earth is purely fantasy.

Now if there were a creator of the universe (Or just of earth's creatures), that doesn't mean we are bound to worship that entity. In each of our bodies, we host billions of microbes and bacteria. We wouldn't expect them to worship us, as that would be insane.

That being said, this is veering off from the original topic of the thread.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People love hating on Christianity and Catholicism, it has its bad apples and it's rotten apples, but do does everything else.
The Catholic Church has a lot of flaws, sure, but it is also one of the biggest charities in the world.

I usually avoid posting on these threads and wasn't really going to, at first, given that the title mentions "religious fanatics".
It's pretty illogical that the first religion you'd bring about is Christianity. Does it have it's fair share of fanatics? Sure, there's crazy people everywhere.

Nowadays people seem to choose to ignore the Islamic fanatics. When it comes to fanatics, they are factually the most dangerous based on the impact of the damages they cause.

Religion itself is not evil, people are.

As for racism, the most racist countries in the world are Asian and African.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Religious fanatics, in my mind there's no question.

People who feel they have a divine right cannot be stopped in anything they do. They will find justification in anything because they feel that their cause is above humanity itself. A single person with the right (or rather, wrong) level of charisma can convince groups of people to kill, rape, destroy, abandon society itself because they feel that they are wholly justified on a spiritual level.
Post automatically merged:

Nowadays people seem to choose to ignore the Islamic fanatics.
You're joking, right?

xbmcuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Neither.. The greatest evil are the big corporates who will do everything in their power to financially enslave us. They are the masters of the universe.
They will make races and religions fight each other. Make us desire garbage
Calling each other extremists. When in reality 95% of humans problems are shared.

Rupert Murdoch, The Banks, Disney, Big N, Apple, BMW.....

Reactions: AlexMCS

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Both are incredibly harmful. Plus, people who are religious fanatics also tend to be racist, along with a number of other hateful beliefs. Racist people tend to also go hand-in-hand with religious fanaticism in some form.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see almost no difference. I have never met a religious fanatic that wasn't prejudice. Most of them believe they are superior and everyone else is blasphemous. They hate your faith, your race, your freedom and your happiness. It truly pains them to see any group they disagree with doing well. They elect people not based on what that person will do for the people but for what that person will do to the people they don't like. Golden rule my ass. Once you decide your way is the only way then you are doomed. It bleeds in to everything. Even without religion it's there. Sports, social status, whatever. Hell I get ostracized regularly here because i like to use SXOS to load off a USB drive. Same bullshit. Be like me! Be like me! Racists are the same. It's all cult bullshit. Who cares what your religion,color,bank account,favorite team,car,zip code, friends list looks like. It's just schoolyard monkey moron bullshit. Live and let live. I personally can't stand most devout religious people. All religions say the same thing. Be nice and the world will be a better place. Then men insert a bunch of bullshit to baffle and control the masses. I wish we evolved enough to just be human. I think Ghandi said it best. "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians for they are nothing like your Christ"

At least racists are less hypocritical. They know they're assholes. Zealots miss that point completely.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ovadia yosef.jpg

Reactions: Tarmfot

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is unfortunate, but to be fair, I'm sure a good chuck of people would just find another reason to hate people, if they couldn't hide behind religion.
People don't need religion to hate people. In fact, people don't even need a reason to hate people.
"Questioning" things in a way, that just happen to help corporations they like and harm people that they don't.
I remember Pfizer receiving one of the largest fines in US history for fudging data in studies and paying doctors to push their drugs. Then we were told we couldn't question their products while governments around the world were paying them billions for said product. But I'm told on here that I simp or corporations. We live in clown world.

Reactions: AlexMCS and impeeza

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I make good topics.

I'm grateful for everyone who participates in the debate. Just wanted to mention that.

Life is all about minor victories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro