What do you guys think of the dentist?

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I got a filling today and half my mouth is still numb as of typing this. But it makes me wonder what you guys all think of going to the dentist. Personally, I don't really mind it that much, maybe there's a little anxiety sometimes but that's really it.

Reactions: Aerocool

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much the same as you, there is some anxiety but it's not the worst thing I've experienced and it won't be the last. It's just a slightly uncomfortable experience, nothing to make a fuss over.

Can understand others may have worse experiences though

Reactions: boot3

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The current dentist I have is a thoughful and nice person.
The previous one was a dick who didn't like me.

It's slightly uncomfortable at times but eh, I know worse things then having a guy with a pick in your mouth.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Many dentists try to convince patients in expensive artificial dentition – which insurance does not cover (or a small fraction only) – when there are cheaper and equally good alternatives. Some people run around with implants worth >10K Euros. (Not hoping to need artificial teeth anytime soon)
One of my association with dentists is: "Be careful not to get ripped off."

Thankfully my dentist is NOT like this. A friendly, careful and nice guy that never tries to talk people into anything expensive.

As for the actual treatment of smaller things I had myself – like a filling – it is not my favorite experience, but I agree with DinohScene: There are worse things. Most of the time he was able to do it without any anesthetics. Having the half mouth numb for two hours isn't really enjoyable.

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've had the same dentist all of my life. He's my cousin so I really don't feel any anxiety. I really like his work so it keeps me engaged. I've had very bad dental hygiene during my childhood and teens so I keep going to see him even now.

There were time when I even fell asleep while having him poke my teeth. I always get sleepy in cold rooms o3o.

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As for the actual treatment of smaller things I had myself – like a filling – it is not my favorite experience, but I agree with DinohScene: There are worse things. Most of the time he was able to do it without any anesthetics. Having the half mouth numb for two hours isn't really enjoyable.
Yeah, it doesn't feel that great, but I pretty much just deal with it for the 2-3 hours it takes for the numbness to subside. And in that 2-3 hour window I basically just laid in bed and watched youtube videos and really just anything that wasn't all that intensive so I could relax and not have to think about it as much lol.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I had a root canal done. The process itself was no big deal at all, very easy, no pain. Then I needed to go back and get a filling, easy, right?

However, the numbing part was one of the worst experiences ever. The dentist went to inject the numbing agent and instead jammed it into a nerve in my jaw. When you do that, it causes a huge adrenaline rush. The dental staff had to take my heart rate because it spikes it so hard that it can cause hypertension.

My hands were shaking, I was laughing and crying at the same time, it was so awful. While they were trying to calm me down, the dentist told me that in his 3 decades of practicing, that had never happened ever.

I just sat there crying, just because it was causing me to have such an adrenaline rush.

So then they prep me again. The dentist proceeds to inject it incorrectly all over again.

I stumbled out of the surgery area and back into the waiting room and the clerk was asking what the heck happened. They never billed me for my root canal, probably because they expected me to hit them with some sorta lawsuit or they felt bad, I dunno. Haven't been back to a dentist since.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I had a root canal done. The process itself was no big deal at all, very easy, no pain. Then I needed to go back and get a filling, easy, right?

However, the numbing part was one of the worst experiences ever. The dentist went to inject the numbing agent and instead jammed it into a nerve in my jaw. When you do that, it causes a huge adrenaline rush. The dental staff had to take my heart rate because it spikes it so hard that it can cause hypertension.

My hands were shaking, I was laughing and crying at the same time, it was so awful. While they were trying to calm me down, the dentist told me that in his 3 decades of practicing, that had never happened ever.

I just sat there crying, just because it was causing me to have such an adrenaline rush.

So then they prep me again. The dentist proceeds to inject it incorrectly all over again.

I stumbled out of the surgery area and back into the waiting room and the clerk was asking what the heck happened. They never billed me for my root canal, probably because they expected me to hit them with some sorta lawsuit or they felt bad, I dunno. Haven't been back to a dentist since.

I've had a root canal done with barely any anaesthetics by me old dentist.
I swear I wanted to punch that prick in the cock.
Pillock thought 1 shot would be enough to numb everything, despite me telling him a couple of times that I felt everything.

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I don’t remember much. I don’t really get anxious, and prices always astonish me.

Might as well share a personal experience of mine though, seeing how it’s one of the only things I actually remember well. When I was 13 I had my wisdom teeth removed- much younger than anyone does normally, but it was a bit of a complicated case for me. Due to health concerns, I couldn’t have anything done medically except for numbing… can’t say I’m a fan of that process. The surgery went well, but then the fun part started. Ya see, recovery for this is supposed to take 2 weeks… well some stuff happened… and I ended up taking 10 MONTHS to fully recover from that.

Good times

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i just wish they wouldn't take forever to arrive, do some stuff then leave for like 30 minutes again
i get that you have other patients and stuff, but please don't leave me lying down with a numbed mouth and half-done teeth that feel sharp as knives for some reason
there's also the fact that it's so awkward having saliva going down my throat while they're working, i wish so bad for a drink of water (maybe i could just ask for one lol( but that's not really their fault

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Necessary evil because of our sugar filled society.
I go there and never use anesthesia. I refuse, and explicitly tell them so.
No problems.

I prefer young ones, as older dentists are more prone to get a syringe ready.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hate it, hate it, hate it. I can't stress how much I hate it. Sitting in the waiting room and smelling that distinct smell that reminds you exactly where you are. Those disgusting cotton balls they stuff your mouth full of. The pointy thing they use to scrape your teeth and the feeling of having your teeth scraped. The tube they stick in your mouth that sucks up the saliva. And the sound and feeling of the drill when they're working on your teeth. I hate every single part of the experience.

Reactions: Aerocool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on