What do the obscenely expensive pro duo cards offer that a MicroSD doesn't?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by apoptygma, Feb 17, 2015.

1. apoptygma
    OP

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    Just looking at the prices on the Sandisk and Sony pro duos and even finding one larger than 8gb is a struggle and they are around $100 for a 16gb as far as I can tell, An adapter costs about $2 and you can get a quality 16gb MicroSD for ~$12
    So what's missing? It's not the speed because Pro Duo is only rated for around 20mb/s (so much slower than MicroSD) is it the MagicGate DRM stuff? What is this used for and what even happens when you try to access those features on a MicroSD in an adapter?

2. falken

falken Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2015
    Q: What do the obscenely expensive pro duo cards offer that a MicroSD doesn't?
    A: Nothing

Xexyz, Michierusama and JamRules like this.
  3. archnachoofthepi

archnachoofthepi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    I bought an adapter on amazon that allowed me to put two micro sd cards into a pro duo form factor and use that for my memory card. I'm sitting at 128 gb now, having spent a few dollars for the adapter and around forty dollars total for the two 64gb micro sd cards :D

There's 128 gb's from PNY on sale for 35. I'm so tempted...

4. parisi

parisi GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Does the mirco sd 64Gb works on psp? I want to buy one micro sd as large as possible for my psp adapter but i dont know if it works or the limit is 32 Gb

5. archnachoofthepi

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    Yep, I haven't encountered any issues with mine aside from it taking a bit longer for initial writing of data. It displays the space 119gb as well.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Some plugins don't work with it as I recall..
    Or some homebrews.. not entirely sure anymore.

7. archnachoofthepi

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    I wouldn't know; the only plugin I use is the save state one and on occasion the tempar cheat engine

8. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    I can't find a reliable source atm, but I've heard several times in the past that the PSP can't read two 128GBs. It can read one, but the it doesn't support more than 128GB total.

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I bought an adopter that allows me to use two MicroSD cards off ebay for 2$. Thus far the only issue I've had with it is some meh build quality and a minor second delay in boot up. Otherwise, it runs everything in full speed and I haven't had any problems with corruptions or game speed.

10. parisi

parisi GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    Gambia, The
    But can i use only one 64Gb micro sd? Or it won't work? I need 64Gb memory for the moment what do you suggest me two micro sd 32Gb ore one 64Gb?

11. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    yeah, you can only use one micro sd.

This reminded me I still use a 4GB MSPD for my PSP. Seems tiny compared to most people.

12. parisi

parisi GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yes i know that i can use one micro sd until 32Gb but i don't know if 64gb card work on psp

13. archnachoofthepi

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    I'm sorry Emigre but it's not accurate that you can only use one micro sd. I have two attached to that adapter with a total of 128 Gb of space and have had no issues whatsoever with gameplay or anything of the sort. The only thing I've encountered is when you save for the first time or on your XMB pulling up your game list it takes a bit longer.

cearp likes this.
  14. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    and i think if you use something like game categories plugin... something like that, you can stop the lag because your games will not be in one huge list, you can sort them into folders
    i think... :)

archnachoofthepi likes this.