What can we do with the key to decrypt stage 2 of the bootloader?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by MeAndHax, Jan 3, 2018.

1. MeAndHax
    OP

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Team Xecuter released this key as a proof, for 1.0.0 - 2.3.0 firmware users?

Can someone help me understand this better: Why can’t we run unsigned code if we can decrypt the bootloader?

Do we need to decrypt stage 1 as well or what exactly is the problem?

2. Paiuand

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    Buddy, you have made 3 threads within an hour, slow down a little.
    If you have a question then ask it in the noob paradise thread or whatever.

3. MeAndHax
    OP

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Hahahahaha Admins can move this thread; I’m Not sure if it’s in the right place

I’m bored; I want to hear some stories/thoughts of you all and stuff

4. Ethan34

Ethan34 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    Myanmar (Burma)
    MeAndHax likes this.
  5. yardie

yardie Banned

Banned
    Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    you could have asked this in the millions of threads regarding this topic bro

wormdood likes this.
  6. garyopa

garyopa Admin @ MaxConsole

Apr 25, 2009
    Canada
    Tropical Island
    You can use it to turn the Switch into a time machine, and go back to the glory days of GameCube modding! :)

7. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Pics or it didn't happen.

8. garyopa

Apr 25, 2009
    Canada
    Tropical Island
    pics...

[​IMG]

what a mess... -- but it worked! :)

9. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I just wanted the time machine!

10. garyopa

Apr 25, 2009
    Canada
    Tropical Island
    Sorry, i had it infront of the hypetrain trying to get it up to 88, but it fell down into the crater as the train pushed it over the bridge and broke into a million pieces of lego bricks, only got it up to 87.89 was not a enough hype power. :)

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  11. Paiuand

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    Ok here is a true story, I once saw someone open 3 threads for no reason and then asked me to tell him a story.

12. MeAndHax
    OP

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Ok stop it

For “no reason” - excuse me? Those are question regarding the development of homebrew and they interest me quite a bit

Is it wrong to ask?

13. Paiuand

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    Im sorry if i seem salty i just found it funny how you transitioned so quick from asking the question and then asking about stories.
    If you are interested in the development of hombrew and hacking and have a lot of questions, I think the ReSwitched discord server would be a good place.

yardie likes this.
  14. Ethan34

Ethan34 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    Myanmar (Burma)
    guys why dont you chill a bit... on this forum when new members ask same question everyone get pissed because "oh ive seen this thread a thousand times" but when a not-so-new member asks a new question then its still not good... what the hell do you want...
    if you dont want to answer questions go back to facebook and twitter, and stop browsing forums...

15. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    is this the glitching setup tx used to dump that 1.1key? i think it says emmc on that ribbon cable? what exactly is this?

16. garyopa

Apr 25, 2009
    Canada
    Tropical Island
    the first prototype for the gamecube mod.

17. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    I found a Viper GC in my modding tool kit yesterday, hadn't cracked it open for a while D:

I remember watching that team in the GC days freezing videos and switching out blanks for real games and booting and the debates that raged on of legitimacy, and then the day they booted a cracker :')

Last edited by Soluble, Jan 3, 2018
  18. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    Presumably they have the other 3 keys. 1.0-2.3, 3.0, 3.01/3.02 and 4.0+ by looking at the switchbru site above.

If we could dual boot ignoring efuses then there's no reason we can't have an online and an offline dual nand setup.

The only question no one is asking so far is can we boot BBB's original dumps, or will we need the PROPER releases. If we need the propers, will the just be booted off an SD card as NRO's and what about download only games like snipperclips? (I'm asking for a friend)

And everybody complaining about the potential price of the mod(Not in the post but all the others), I don't know about the rest of you but I have 8 physical games worth a lot more than the cost of this will be to sell!

Last edited by Soluble, Jan 4, 2018
    Memoir likes this.
  19. Somario

Somario Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2017
    Italy
    It means that if I have a 2.3 fmw Switch, maybe I will not need the Xcuter mod chip or it does not change anything?

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It will probably either be booting the binaries in a similar way to Loadiine on Wii U or it will make use of signature check patches and require you to install titles grabbed from NUS or generated from an installed title. Given that their exploit seems to grant full kernel and bootloader (maybe even TrustZone?) access, the latter is easier to do and will probably be the route they will go.
    The dumps we have right now may be useless until a flashcart comes out (if a flashcart comes out) but without knowing more about the system I can't say if it would be possible to convert them to installable format.