Hacking what app does this???

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im looking for an app that auto checks the install cios, ios etc on my wii and updates them to the latest version while still leaving the homebrew intact, i know the program exists but cant remember the name of it can anyone help

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i mean one that does all this on the wii, not modmii, so i have the lates cios 222 and 249 thats homebrew enabled

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
OncleJulien said:
yusuo said:
XFlak said:
ur thinking of "pimp my wii"

i don't recommend using that though, but u can do w/e u like

is there a specific reason not to use it
yes, he maintains a competing product.
while this is true, that is not why I don't recommend it

the complete softmod guide and xzxero's stickied guide also compete with ModMii, but I have no problem with their methods....

I don't like pimp my wii for a few reasons. Firstly, I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with it. Secondly, people don't know/understand what they're doing when they use it and they don't learn anything. Thirdly, it does not cover ALL the softmodding steps, like installing the HBC and making a nand backup. And lastly, I personally don't trust ANY app that connects to ninty servers to DL and installs IOSs without any user input, if some1 made a mistake in coding pimp my wii, it could install a stub system menu IOS leading to brick (it happened to wiiscu, which does some of the same things pimp my wii does). On the other hand, ModMii will ALWAYS verifies files, and if for some reason there's an issue with a file, it will warn u before u even step near your Wii.

Anyways, this is my opinion, some people like pimp my wii, and u should make up your own mind

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MODMii is much better than Pimp My Wii (Never used it though 4 some reason I just don't trust the app) MODMii also generates a guide 4 u as well!

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
if some1 made a mistake in coding pimp my wii, it could install a stub system menu IOS leading to brick (it happened to wiiscu, which does some of the same things pimp my wii does).
altho i fully agree on you against any usage of pimp my wii (altho i dont like mopmii myself but thats just imho) , that argument is invalid
i mean, if daco made a coding mistake he could brick a wii more easily then pimp my wii could

he doesn't only replace the system menu booting app, he also changes the TMD !
either steps should happen flawlessly or bingo, brick

if your argument is a valid argument for an application to be crap, then priiloader is also crap
smile.gif

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
You don't need to update your ios that often. I understand Xflax and second him in the way that too many people don't make a nand backup and end up with a brick.
But if you have a boot2 bootmii installed, you can install Pimpmywii because you are brick protected.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
lulwut said:
XFlak said:
if some1 made a mistake in coding pimp my wii, it could install a stub system menu IOS leading to brick (it happened to wiiscu, which does some of the same things pimp my wii does).
altho i fully agree on you against any usage of pimp my wii (altho i dont like mopmii myself but thats just imho) , that argument is invalid
i mean, if daco made a coding mistake he could brick a wii more easily then pimp my wii could

he doesn't only replace the system menu booting app, he also changes the TMD !
either steps should happen flawlessly or bingo, brick

if your argument is a valid argument for an application to be crap, then priiloader is also crap
smile.gif
I dunno... priiloader is thoroughly tested before being released as an official release. And there should not be any rush to leap to use the latest version (even though ppl do it anyways). However, with an app designed to mod a wii from scratch, it needs to be dynamic and able to change very quickly to respond to new exploits or new ninty updates etc.

So when ninty puts out an update, daco isn't in a rush to update priiloader, but apps like pimp my wii need to be updated, and updated quickly. And since only the latest pimp my wii will support the newest system menu versions, people are forced to use the latest pimp my wii, which hasn't always had enough time to be extensively tested (based on my subjective opinion).

Anyways, I think pimp my Wii is potentially dangerous especially because of its constant updates, but priiloader installations are a part of other softmodding guides, and its up to the other softmodding guides to ensure w/e they are recommending to be installed is stable (ie. all softmod guides should be recommending priiloader v0.4 and not v0.5 which can lead to brick).

Seriously, this week alone I have seen at least 3 different threads started about pimp my wii problems... I just dont like the app. But I'm sure the pimp my wii devs dont like ModMii, so we both have our biases... its up to everyone to decide for themselves what they like and what they dont. And I'm happy knowing that many of the best and brightest have said many positive things about ModMii
biggrin.gif

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't suggest pimp my wii, not because it doesn't do what you want, but because you don't know what it's doing, and being uninformed can hurt you in the future.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Use either Mod-Mii, or the Mod any Wii as per the stickies at the top of this section.

PimpMiWii may work for you, but as others have stated, you will really have no idea WHAT was just done.

Better to do it yourself and understand what it is you are doing. Much better long term.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries