Autism and its spectrum

Were there any signs that led you to realising you're autistic?

ModernSithLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parents are usually touchy and in denial about things they failed to notice in their kids, so sometimes keeping quiet is better than the uphill battle of trying to convince them of... anything really.
Oh absolutely, I am fortunate that many members of my family whether they were nurses or therapists could seen the signs and pressed both my parents. My mom had a sense & my dad just kind of ignored it. Two headed coin.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of signs are most obvious when you are a child/teenager.
Also, I saw a video about autism and I totally saw myself in what was described.

For example, hypersensibility to external stimulus is something very known, but did you hear about "hyposensibility to external stimulus"? I, for exemple, could go outside wearing only a t-shirt and pants during cold days of winter. Yes, hyposensibility to cold, for exemple, is a symptom too.

They were also talking about how boys and girls were not diagnosed the same way. If you look at statistics, people who are diagnosed of autism are mostly boys, and that is in part due to society.
For example, a boy who has his bedroom full of star wars stuff (figurine, poster, bedsheet, etc), you may think he is autistic.
However, a girl who has her bedroom full of unicorn or hello kitty stuff, you may think "this is just a girl being girly".
But they are both the same thing (having very specific interest and being "borderline" obsessed with it)

A boy who is very shy and who doesn't approach people/doesn't get approached easily, it's autistic
A girl who is very shy and who doesn't approach people/doesn't get approached easily, it's cute

That's how many girl were not diagnosed

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I always knew I was strange and different. What I didn't realize was how different I was until finally left my abusive relationship. After meeting non-autists, I started questioning myself. Eventually, my wife was like, "You are clearly autistic, I could tell since we met." She picked it up due to her cousin who is autistic. Once I started meeting more autistic people, I realized "Oh hey, I am autistic." and since been diagnosed with autism.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always knew I was strange and different. What I didn't realize was how different I was until finally left my abusive relationship. After meeting non-autists, I started questioning myself. Eventually, my wife was like, "You are clearly autistic, I could tell since we met." She picked it up due to her cousin who is autistic. Once I started meeting more autistic people, I realized "Oh hey, I am autistic." and since been diagnosed with autism.
More and more lately I'm feeling the 'different' aspect. It's not a huge rift between me and other people, and it isn't anything loud or even particularly noticeable outside of my own head, but like you my wife is the one who's had a very different perspective of me to what I assumed. She's since told me that many people have asked her in the past if I don't like them or if they'd offended me. That's never the case but I guess my lack of interest shines through.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
More and more lately I'm feeling the 'different' aspect. It's not a huge rift between me and other people, and it isn't anything loud or even particularly noticeable outside of my own head, but like you my wife is the one who's had a very different perspective of me to what I assumed. She's since told me that many people have asked her in the past if I don't like them or if they'd offended me. That's never the case but I guess my lack of interest shines through.
It's such a hard thing to explain but it is a feeling. It's like you just know you are different. Once you find out what that difference is though, it's like being hit by a really train.

Reactions: Maximumbeans

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's such a hard thing to explain but it is a feeling. It's like you just know you are different. Once you find out what that difference is though, it's like being hit by a really train.
Thought I'd originally replied to this!

I think my tactic until I get an official assessment is to basically self-identify (or at least live under the quiet assumption). As time goes on, the more sure I am. It's exactly like you say—I just have this feeling and it explains so much of my life both past and present that I can't imagine it being anything else.

Reactions: The Catboy

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see myself as autistic, have some weird tendencies at times, like OCD (on very specific situations) that i developed like 12 or something years ago (stressful times for me). And i can sometimes obsessed with certain words or sentences (repeated inside my head), which of course makes reading long text (sp complex ones) difficult, re-analysing meaning and sentence ambiguity etc. but it doesn't start by itself without me feeding it, like the moment i start repeating a word, like re-reading a sentence, when i move to 2nd one my brain will be like: "i don't remember any of that, re-read that again!" etc. but the thing is it doesn't really control me, i can indeed choose not to feed it even after it starts. And i can very quickly recognize when it (obsession/compulsive-ness) is starting.

I guess all people have some level of OCD regarding specific things, and i don't think one is on the spectrum just for that alone.

Group statistics

Group owner:
SAIYAN48
Members:
Threads:
Photos:

Latest photos

Site & Scene News