Gaming Weird Issue W/ Zsnes

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently got a new laptop, and I've configured zsnes with it. however, at full screen, the emulator runs very slow unless I minimize zsnes, then maximize the emulator. I also tried retroarch but for some reason when I try to update cores or download any of them. it always says "task failed." I've done nothing but install the emulator.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The core of ZSNES was written in x86 (not x86-64) assembly language hasn't been updated for over ten years; it is just out of touch with both modern hardware and operating systems alike. A build of Snes9x 1.54.1 that is appropriate for your (presumably 64-bit) CPU will make for a fine replacement.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just recently got a new laptop, and I've configured zsnes with it. however, at full screen, the emulator runs very slow unless I minimize zsnes, then maximize the emulator. I also tried retroarch but for some reason when I try to update cores or download any of them. it always says "task failed." I've done nothing but install the emulator.
Don't know about zsnes but I have the exact same problem with retroarch on my new laptop yet it works perfectly okay on my 11 year old backup laptop for some reason.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new problem with snes9x. I'm trying to configure my controller, but start always comes up as disabled. that's the wii u pro controller. I tried an xbox 360 controller, but it had major issues with the emulator.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try running ZSnes in a different compatibility mode? Maybe Higan might work better if it's a newer laptop.
---
You might have better luck connecting your X360 controller with Pinnacle.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually prefer the wii u controller since the dpad of the 360 controller sucks.

with bluetooth, I'm using the mayflash adapter. is that no longer needed?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zsnes..is pretty much dead, and is no longer supported by the developers (believe me, they stated this on their IRC chat), Snes9x 1.54.1 or Higan would be a much better fit and would work with wireless controllers better. Oh the stories I could tell on why the emulator is...never mind.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, don't even get me started; I love that sort of technical chat.

I'll save it for a blog or another thread, I don't want to derail this thread with my reasons. But to answer the OP, the last official release, 1.51, was released in late 2006, and while the main programmer does drop by those forums, heck, there was even talk on Zsnes 2.0 for Android. Unfortunately, he hasn't been active on that forum for months. I suppose I could drop by the IRC to see how far along it is.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to pair the controller without the mayflash adapter. it never seems to sync. I can get my bluetooth to pick it up, but that's about it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was unable to connect the wii u pro controller to my laptop without the mayflash adapter. using the adapter causes the start button to be disabled once pressed in the config screen, so it makes most games unplayable.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

a lot of things say you need toshiba bluetooth stack to connect, but when I did that on my old computer, it really messed up my bluetooth devices. with my current bluetooth drivers, the controller will pair and be listed, but it won't make a connection. should I just buy a switch pro controller? I think I heard that it can connect to a pc without the need for an adapter.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even today I don't think most modern laptops can run Higan effectively, so Snes9x is his best choice.

Higan Performance runs pretty good, Snes9x 1.55 is almost released.

My mistake. A decade without any activity is just as good as being considered dead. Unless the main devs come out and say otherwise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill