Hacking Weird DSTT freezing after 2 days...

Valvalion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello lads.

I'm having a huge problem with my DSTT.

I was half way through playing a game when all of a sudden the entire thing locked up. The music was still playing and animations were still playing but I couldn't move nor do anything, nothing would work.

I turned off, then turned back on again, and now the DSTT won't get past the 'Loading' message BEFORE the menu. I can't get into the DSTT menu at all.

I have tried normal DS cartridges and my friend's DSTT and they work fine.

The MicroSD card is fine, my PC reads it perfectly. I reformatted in FAT, same problem. FAT32, same problem. With games, without games, with menu, without menu, all locking up at exactly the same point. It seems to be picking up that there's a card there then just locking up, regardless of what's actually on the card. Friend's MicroSD in my DSTT, same freeze as with my own MicroSD.

Without a card, it does recognise this and comes up with the NO CARD?? error.

Does anybody have any advice on what to try before I go for an RMA?

lilriz92

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the microsd card is corrupt? did you use the reader that came with the dstt? cuz some of them have problems.

Valvalion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Maybe the microsd card is corrupt?

QUOTEThe MicroSD card is fine, my PC reads it perfectly. I reformatted in FAT, same problem. FAT32, same problem.

The card checks out perfectly fine. My card reads perfectly in my friend's DSTT also.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your friend's microSD card works in his DSTT but not in yours, it's probably a problem with your DSTT. You might for the heck of it try his microSD card in your DSTT in his NDS and see if that works (in which case it might be your NDS).

-Bri

Valvalion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried:

My MicroSD, His DSTT, My DS. Worked fine.
His MicroSD, His DSTT, My DS. Worked fine.
His MicroSD, My DSTT, My DS, this fails. Also fails in his DS.

Can unfortunately only narrow it down to being a faulty DSTT.
frown.gif

--

Google searching brings up a result from this forum of somebody that took their DSTT apart and managed to get it working, yet I can't seem to find instructions on what exactly i'm looking for with fixing pre-menu freezing. Has anybody taken their DSTT apart and explain how they've fixed this kind of freeze?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another thing you might look at. I assume that all your .nds files are in a folder and not on the root of the microSD? Also, make sure there is plenty of free space on the microSD card for SAV files. I don't know why either of those things would affect it in one NDS and not in another though.

Assuming you've got both of those covered, I'd have to agree with you. Exchange it for a new one!

-Bri

Valvalion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
frown.gif
Bugger. Thanks for your help nonetheless.

QUOTE said:
Another thing you might look at. I assume that all your .nds files are in a folder and not on the root of the microSD? Also, make sure there is plenty of free space on the microSD card for SAV files. I don't know why either of those things would affect it in one NDS and not in another though.

They were all in a folder yes. The games were all working fine for the last 2 days, as I say it only started happening half way through a game when it just stopped responding!
frown.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes those symptoms occur when it can't write to the microSD card, such as when the card is nearly full or there are too many files on the root.

If you know that both of those aren't the case, it unfortunately sounds like a bad DSTT.

-Bri

Valvalion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll just get it replaced then and won't worry about a self repair.

Patience required here then. Thanks for your advice all.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
make sure your games are in seperate folder, and if that doesnt work, try "bending" your dstt a little from left to right, where the golden connectors are, dont bend too much tho, dont break them, theres a good chance the contacts are off, its a common problem

DonLeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Valvalion said:
I turned off, then turned back on again, and now the DSTT won't get past the 'Loading' message BEFORE the menu. I can't get into the DSTT menu at all.

I have tried normal DS cartridges and my friend's DSTT and they work fine.

Without a card, it does recognise this and comes up with the NO CARD?? error.

wow you have the same problem with me 2 weeks ago
i'm very angry because of that

in the end i went back to the shop and change the DSTT with the new one

@all
sorry this is a rare problem and this is not "THE MICRO SD PROBLEM"
everyone always said that this is THE MICRO SD PROBLEM
hate2.gif

this is because of that DSTT card is bad
not because of too many games in the roots or anything else about the micro SD

please if all of you don't know the problems don't give the wrong advice because it won't help

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DonLeon:

I think the advice was to first make sure all of the .nds files are in a folder and that the microSD card isn't nearly full. That is entirely reasonable advice since 90% of the time those are causes of freezes as the DSTT can't write the SAV file.

It is entirely reasonable to rule out simpler and more common solutions before suggesting replacing the DSTT, and entirely unreasonable to suggest replacing the DSTT before ruling out simpler and more common solutions.

-Bri

Mrbob2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As a simple rule. Game saves take up 512k. So if you have 20 games, you need 10mb of space on your card and a little for safe keeping. So if you have 50 games on your card it would be wise to have 28mb free for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare