Weird DSTT freezing after 2 days...

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Valvalion, Apr 25, 2008.

Apr 25, 2008
  1. Valvalion
    OP

Newcomer Valvalion Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hello lads.

I'm having a huge problem with my DSTT.

I was half way through playing a game when all of a sudden the entire thing locked up. The music was still playing and animations were still playing but I couldn't move nor do anything, nothing would work.

I turned off, then turned back on again, and now the DSTT won't get past the 'Loading' message BEFORE the menu. I can't get into the DSTT menu at all.

I have tried normal DS cartridges and my friend's DSTT and they work fine.

The MicroSD card is fine, my PC reads it perfectly. I reformatted in FAT, same problem. FAT32, same problem. With games, without games, with menu, without menu, all locking up at exactly the same point. It seems to be picking up that there's a card there then just locking up, regardless of what's actually on the card. Friend's MicroSD in my DSTT, same freeze as with my own MicroSD.

Without a card, it does recognise this and comes up with the NO CARD?? error.

Does anybody have any advice on what to try before I go for an RMA?

2. lilriz92

Member lilriz92 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe the microsd card is corrupt? did you use the reader that came with the dstt? cuz some of them have problems.

3. Valvalion
    OP

United Kingdom
    The card checks out perfectly fine. My card reads perfectly in my friend's DSTT also.

4. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If your friend's microSD card works in his DSTT but not in yours, it's probably a problem with your DSTT. You might for the heck of it try his microSD card in your DSTT in his NDS and see if that works (in which case it might be your NDS).

-Bri

5. Valvalion
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just tried:

My MicroSD, His DSTT, My DS. Worked fine.
    His MicroSD, His DSTT, My DS. Worked fine.
    His MicroSD, My DSTT, My DS, this fails. Also fails in his DS.

Can unfortunately only narrow it down to being a faulty DSTT. [​IMG]

--

Google searching brings up a result from this forum of somebody that took their DSTT apart and managed to get it working, yet I can't seem to find instructions on what exactly i'm looking for with fixing pre-menu freezing. Has anybody taken their DSTT apart and explain how they've fixed this kind of freeze?

6. Bri

United States
    Another thing you might look at. I assume that all your .nds files are in a folder and not on the root of the microSD? Also, make sure there is plenty of free space on the microSD card for SAV files. I don't know why either of those things would affect it in one NDS and not in another though.

Assuming you've got both of those covered, I'd have to agree with you. Exchange it for a new one!

-Bri

7. Valvalion
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Bugger. Thanks for your help nonetheless.

They were all in a folder yes. The games were all working fine for the last 2 days, as I say it only started happening half way through a game when it just stopped responding! [​IMG]

8. Bri

United States
    Sometimes those symptoms occur when it can't write to the microSD card, such as when the card is nearly full or there are too many files on the root.

If you know that both of those aren't the case, it unfortunately sounds like a bad DSTT.

-Bri

9. Damademan3

Newcomer Damademan3 Advanced Member

United States
    its a bad dstt, either something is wrong with the card or its not connecting together on the pins. If there is a batter on the board of the dstt it may of gone bad as well.

10. Valvalion
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'll just get it replaced then and won't worry about a self repair.

Patience required here then. Thanks for your advice all.

11. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    make sure your games are in seperate folder, and if that doesnt work, try "bending" your dstt a little from left to right, where the golden connectors are, dont bend too much tho, dont break them, theres a good chance the contacts are off, its a common problem

12. DonLeon

Newcomer DonLeon Advanced Member

Indonesia
    wow you have the same problem with me 2 weeks ago
    i'm very angry because of that

in the end i went back to the shop and change the DSTT with the new one

@all
    sorry this is a rare problem and this is not "THE MICRO SD PROBLEM"
    everyone always said that this is THE MICRO SD PROBLEM [​IMG]
    this is because of that DSTT card is bad
    not because of too many games in the roots or anything else about the micro SD

please if all of you don't know the problems don't give the wrong advice because it won't help

13. Bri

United States
    DonLeon:

I think the advice was to first make sure all of the .nds files are in a folder and that the microSD card isn't nearly full. That is entirely reasonable advice since 90% of the time those are causes of freezes as the DSTT can't write the SAV file.

It is entirely reasonable to rule out simpler and more common solutions before suggesting replacing the DSTT, and entirely unreasonable to suggest replacing the DSTT before ruling out simpler and more common solutions.

-Bri

14. Mrbob2

Newcomer Mrbob2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    As a simple rule. Game saves take up 512k. So if you have 20 games, you need 10mb of space on your card and a little for safe keeping. So if you have 50 games on your card it would be wise to have 28mb free for example.

15. Damademan3

United States
    still i want to know if anyone has taken one of these apart?

16. Bri

United States
    Look at the review on this site, and you'll see that someone has taken one apart:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

-Bri

17. Damademan3

United States
    thanks for that bri, i opened mine up and didnt see any issues. Now i thought the case would go back together nicely but i was wrong

18. Bri

United States
    Nope! It's glued shut when you buy it. If you pry it open, you have to glue it shut again.

-Bri