Status
Not open for further replies.

plushing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko's Wii backup loader is in GPL violation, as he clearly used Neimod's "Custom IOS module toolkit", which is GPL licensed, and he provides no source to his custom IOS module.

In the backup loader package, there is a "custom IOS" WAD, this is simply IOS36 repackaged with Waninkoko's added custom "/dev/do" module.
This custom module is made using the Custom IOS module toolkit.

The Custom IOS module toolkit is available for download from Wiibrew, at this link http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Custom_IOS_Module.

The following is a disassembly of the custom "/dev/do" module:
http://users.cjb.net/gplviolation/gplviolation.html

Notice the program header starting at LOAD:00000000, which is exacty outputted by the stripios tool.
And the string "IOS module" at LOAD:00000088, and the table at LOAD:000000A0 - these come from the crt0.s assembly file.
Notice the same main program startup, as seen in the main.c file.
Also notice the similarity between the syscalls at LOAD:20500830, which can be found in the syscalls.s file.

So waninkoko, where is the source?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a "leave Britney ...erm... I mean... Waninkoko... alone" moment just waiting to happen...

plushing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Furthermore, after my closer inspection, I have to say that the module is not very big, and looking at the rest of the supplied tools for backup loading, it seems like this loader was tossed together in a few days.

I am shocked at how this loader is put together, as it seems Waninkoko is a real amateur, that does not really know what he is doing.

The DVDX library is not needed at all if you enable it manually from IOS side, seems like he was not able to figure this out.
Furthermode, the use of /dev/do is hilarious, as it causes the PPC application to be patched, which is not necessary if /dev/di was used in the first place.

WII ARE NOT IMPRESSED.

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
plushing said:
Furthermore, after my closer inspection, I have to say that the module is not very big, and looking at the rest of the supplied tools for backup loading, it seems like this loader was tossed together in a few days.

I am shocked at how this loader is put together, as it seems Waninkoko is a real amateur, that does not really know what he is doing.

The DVDX library is not needed at all if you enable it manually from IOS side, seems like he was not able to figure this out.
Furthermode, the use of /dev/do is hilarious, as it causes the PPC application to be patched, which is not necessary if /dev/di was used in the first place.

WII ARE NOT IMPRESSED.

so make a better loader yourself if your so talented.

Big Kong Boss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
plushing said:

WII ARE NOT IMPRESSED.

nerd
sleep.gif

Mikey242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
plushing said:

WII ARE NOT IMPRESSED.

You are basing this on a leaked version? This is not even beta fir goodness sakes. You can hardly go around accusing people of poor programming and GPL violations based on leaked software.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
if anyone is looking to start building this loader from scratch, since this piece of software doesn't really look complicated..
the first step to start from is to know about the exploit used to load the backups.

what does that particular key have to deal with it...
well, no whitepapers about the bug? any documentation?

waninkoko

Trophies
XP
Country
The driver is not finished, nor the source code (needs to be cleaned, commented, remove shitty code, etc.). I was going to release the source (as it is licensed under the GPL) with the backup-loader binary but now I'll have to release it when I have it completely finished (except you want a very shitty source).

Also, it's not my fault that the guy who leaked it didn't release the source too.

EDIT: If I have free time tomorrow, I'll release the first version of the source (I don't like to violate the GPL).

Fabi85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
plushing said:
Waninkoko's Wii backup loader is in GPL violation, as he clearly used Neimod's "Custom IOS module toolkit", which is GPL licensed, and he provides no source to his custom IOS module.

In the backup loader package, there is a "custom IOS" WAD, this is simply IOS36 repackaged with Waninkoko's added custom "/dev/do" module.
This custom module is made using the Custom IOS module toolkit.

The Custom IOS module toolkit is available for download from Wiibrew, at this link http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Custom_IOS_Module.

The following is a disassembly of the custom "/dev/do" module:
http://users.cjb.net/gplviolation/gplviolation.html

Notice the program header starting at LOAD:00000000, which is exacty outputted by the stripios tool.
And the string "IOS module" at LOAD:00000088, and the table at LOAD:000000A0 - these come from the crt0.s assembly file.
Notice the same main program startup, as seen in the main.c file.
Also notice the similarity between the syscalls at LOAD:20500830, which can be found in the syscalls.s file.

So waninkoko, where is the source?

no it's not a GPL violation.
he didin't release the binaries, so he does not need to release anything. He is only not allowed to sell binarys without releasing the source.
Is he selling or even releasing the binarys????
I don't think so...

Anyway waninkoko, I think releasing the source is a good idea ether way, because this would help the development of the wii-hacking scene a lot

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
waninkoko said:
The driver is not finished, nor the source code (needs to be cleaned, commented, remove shitty code, etc.). I was going to release the source (as it is licensed under the GPL) with the backup-loader binary but now I'll have to release it when I have it completely finished (except you want a very shitty source).

Also, it's not my fault that the guy who leaked it didn't release the source too.

EDIT: If I have free time tomorrow, I'll release the first version of the source (I don't like to violate the GPL).

++
seriously, i apreciate this talking..
i know that it doesn't count anything to you, but by reading this i revalutated your person.

i was a bit angry about beeing addressed of things i didn't do, and i'm permalous and don't really like beeing considered a kiddie idiot and such, for things i'm not even involved in.

by the way, thanks for your effort, thanks for the release of the source code.

by the way, do you think you can give us some informations about the bug itself?

i think that if many more ppl know about it, many more coders would start to build stuff, and cooperation allow the scene to make big improvements.

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx for reconsidering waninkoko.
the wii community, especially GBATEMP appreciates your effort, even if they don't all say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill