Wii and GCN backups not working properly

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have read that this could be because I had installed DIOS MIOS at some point, which I had indeed before a reformatted my Wii system. So the issue with GameCube backups could be due to a wrong MIOS too I suppose since the symptom is the same?
Why you dont just remove DIOS MIOS by overwritting it with the original MIOS. Its outdated and not mainted anyway since 2014. Nintendont is uptodate.
Thread 1: How to remove DIOS MIOS
Thread 2: Uninstalling Mios in 2018
Guide (uninstall at bottom): DIOS MIOS Guide

Last edited by Sypherone,

AlolanAlomomola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello everyone! I have tried all of your suggestions and finally have good news!

First of all, I prepared the files on my SD card: cIOS d2x installer to install d2x v10 beta 52 with base 58 on slot 251 (it wasn't available for download on ModMii), Wiiflow Lite and the WAD for the latest version of the original MIOS (v10) that I got from NUS Downloader. I checked the hash of all my Wii backups on Wii Backup Manager (MD5 hash, that is) and all of them came out green, so I'm assuming they are all okay. I also checked that all of my backus are PAL. Finally, I deleted the controllers folder and ninconfig.ini from my SD and also the ninconfig.ini file in the root of my GCN USB device, and copied the "games" folder from my USB device into my SD card with the Pokémon XD backup for testing purposes.

Then on my Wii first of all I installed the original MIOS with YAWMM and d2x v10 beta 52 with base 58 on slot 251 from the cIOS d2x Installer app. Both successful. I proceeded to launch my original copy of Mario Kart Double Dash!! from the disk channel and it worked! However, when booting the same disk from Nintendont I was getting the "No Signal" screen after loading the games as if I had unplugged the Wii from the TV. GC backups stored in my USB drive were giving the same result. I attempted to load the Pokémon XD backup I had moved to my SD card, but I got exactly the same result.

I moved on to testing my Wii backups. WIthout any new changes in configuration, the situation on USB Loader GX was exactly the same as before, and same results on Wiiflow. I changed Loader IOS to IOS 58 and Game's IOS to IOS 251 on USB Loader GX and all of my Wii games started working!

During testing I also noticed that Pokemon XD was showing up on USB Loader GX (my other GC games don't), so I decided to load it from there in case something would change. And boy did it change something! Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness loaded perfectly! I went back to Nintendont and loaded the MKDD disk, Pokemon XD from my SD card and all of my USB drive backups one by one and all of them worked perfectly, except for Mario Party 7, which is still giving me a black screen right after booting up. I suppose the updates I installed just needed time to replicate and sink in.

So, current situation: All my Wii games seem to be working flawlessly so far, I will keep testing and see if I get a freeze at some point. All GameCube games are working perfectly as well, with the exception of Mario Party 7, which is still giving me a black screen.

AlolanAlomomola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So it seems backups are still freezing after a little while. Animal Crossing Let's Go To The City froze after 15 minutes. Mario Party 8 stood strong for 9 rounds (almost 1h), but froze with a loud beep sound during the the 10th round. My family reports the same issue with Rayman Origins and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Any more ideas on what could be wrong?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your last choice is to format the usb flash drive (that your Wii games not GC) to wbfs with WiiBackupmanager. It might help, but not guaranteed.
If it still gives you issues after doing that, then you need to get another drive (external hdd preferably).

Reactions: AlolanAlomomola

AlolanAlomomola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Okay, got it. I will try that. What's curious is that it seems to happen after random intervals. Right now, Animal Crossing hasn't stopped in over 30 minutes, while it didn't even take 15 to freeze in the prior attempt.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, got it. I will try that. What's curious is that it seems to happen after random intervals. Right now, Animal Crossing hasn't stopped in over 30 minutes, while it didn't even take 15 to freeze in the prior attempt.
Remember that with an hdd a dual or Y cable usb or externally powered drive is recommended or you may face the same situation with the hard drive due to the power requirements of the drive.

Reactions: AlolanAlomomola

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So it seems backups are still freezing after a little while. Animal Crossing Let's Go To The City froze after 15 minutes. Mario Party 8 stood strong for 9 rounds (almost 1h), but froze with a loud beep sound during the the 10th round. My family reports the same issue with Rayman Origins and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Any more ideas on what could be wrong?
what settings do you have on? could be the settings also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto