Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

ÐeltaResero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I sent an email previously regarding this to you, but I forgot to attach the patch that fixes the memory errors in 3.1-rc1 that prevent compiling. In the link below, there should be a zip folder, apply the first 2 patches (0002 and 0003) in it to 3.1-rc1 sources. The other 2 patches are ones from early on between 3.0 and 3.1 that cause the issue. I think the issue is within the mikep7 patch as the SDHC mainline driver seems correct.

3.1-rc1 Patch Download Link: http://ubuntuone.com/7Krd3vfULuRP3RROo5gTOp

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yay an updated kernel with an updated distro !

EDIT: have no idea why the image is upside down, but basically its ubuntu 12.04 LTS running on a 3.0.86 kernel with usb working and online with usb lan

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 283

ÐeltaResero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yay an updated kernel with an updated distro !

EDIT: have no idea why the image is upside down, but basically its ubuntu 12.04 LTS running on a 3.0.86 kernel with usb working and online with usb lan

Probably just the JPEG EXIF not matching the actual orientation of the image. Also, I don't recommend 13.04 and 13.10 as they are quite buggy right now (very high memory and cpu usage). Debian Jessie and Wheezy both work well though.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably just the JPEG EXIF not matching the actual orientation of the image. Also, I don't recommend 13.04 and 13.10 as they are quite buggy right now (very high memory and cpu usage). Debian Jessie and Wheezy both work well though.

Yeah, the primary reason I went for Ubuntu 12.04 is due to the fact that it is an LTS release (until 2017). It does actually feel a bit more nimble than deb 5/6.

Reactions: Deletedmember331810

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update- at this current time, I believe I have a semi-working platform using a 3.0.86 kernel with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Long term support). The main challenges were finding the correct combination of kernel bootargs and 'upstart' combination to sidestep the plymouth service. at this point I am able to start Xorg but I lose my keyboard and mouse, I suspect because lxde-core defaulted to the wrong input driver.

From there, I'm still up against a hurdle of getting the native WiFi LAN controller working. I have the necessary firmware to run the device, but no driver I have tested has worked. I still have to re-test with this distribution, though. On Debian Lenny, the machine locked up completely upon modprobe/insmod.

Anyone with device driver experience, specifically with broadcom chipsets, would be of great help here. I must also find a way for users to extract their own WiFi firmware from IOS, since this is Nintendo proprietary code, and is not legally distributed.

I can already confirm that USB HDD's are working, and can also boot to them from the kernel. This results in a much faster system. If anyone has a spare external hard drive, we can experiment with that as well.

Mainly need help with the driver at this point...

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this helps but you could look at the ddwrt source because a lot of routers are based off the broadcom chip set.

i already have honestly, that's where i found the linux driver for bcm40181, which when combined with the correct firmware (pulled from IOS), should theoritically "work". however it doesnt, not sure why. That's why im seeking someone with hardware expertise that can walk through it with me.

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The WiiU drive is incapable of reading DVD's. Just doesnt support it. Maybe a firmware flash down the road if anyone RE's it?

You can, however, attach an external USB DVD and play DVD's

Well, I used to do it with my wii with MPlayerCe with the integrated drive, but it sometimes crashes so never really use it...
It was a long time ago when DVDX was in HBC installer...

ÐeltaResero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good news, everyone! I've managed to forward port mikep7 to 3.6 successfully and am just working out a few bugs. Unfortunately, I was unable to solve the issue I mentioned previously regarding the SDHC driver and have just worked around the commits causing the issue by adding code to revert the 2 commits causing the issue into the 3.1+ mikep7 patches. This is only a temporary fix as I hoping that eventually someone will be able to review my work and fix this, gcn-si, and the USB driver issues. Although it's temporary, at least SDHC does work now. I'll try to have a new 3.4 (longterm) repository up for it by sometime late next week on Github (I'll try to remember to add the link to this post later once it's there) . With a more modern base it should be easier to get everything merged into one patch (GameCube, Wii, WiiU in vWii mode). Ultimately, the WiiU will get accessed in its native mode instead of vWii, but at least until then we'll have the ability to use a more modern kernel and operating system. Also, if anyone creates any WiiU patches (such as for the Wireless card), I'll gladly add them to my repositories.

3.4 Kernel Git/Github Repository: https://github.com/DeltaResero/GC-Wii-Linux-Kernel-3.4.y

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?