Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
power off the vwii, put the sd card back in your linux machine, download this
http://vwii.idfbest.com/upload/modules-blah.tar

using the same sudo file-roller process as before, extract that archive into the linux partition, DO NOT FORMAT THE DISK AGAIN. Once that's done, validate that the linux partition has /media/trinux/lib/modules/CARVER-3.0.86-R2+/ and a bunch of files in there.

Reactions: Deletedmember331810

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i want you to delete the /lib/modules folder from the sd card.

NOT /lib, but /lib/modules and everything inside it.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is happening right when it goes to read the modules?

I noticed everything changes like the font, font size, cursor, everything looks and acts different than when the app first starts to boot up.

that means that max's code has successfully handed off the the kernel load to ppc, the linux kernel loads, and your filesystem has been mounted. it almost sounds like it could be an upstart job hanging it up... no debug though, try the fresh format... i should also RE-image my card. ill do that sometime...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
CRC error twice on that file. Downloaded it twice.

It also has a "?" under "SIZE" which is something that I cannot recall have seeing before.

What's your SHA1 on both your downloads? I'm still downloading the 2nd time but my first one didn't work either.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alrighty, so delta just released a patched up 3.4 kernel, im going to clone his code and try to build it for this project. going to rebuild my distro and document it all this time... i might try to use a flash drive instead of SD also, might have some speed benefits... join #vwii on EFNET if you feel like contributing/helping/testing. thanks

ÐeltaResero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
alrighty, so delta just released a patched up 3.4 kernel, im going to clone his code and try to build it for this project. going to rebuild my distro and document it all this time... i might try to use a flash drive instead of SD also, might have some speed benefits... join #vwii on EFNET if you feel like contributing/helping/testing. thanks

I didn't stop there, I also ported the 3.4 kernel patch to 3.6.11. For those who don't know already, the 3.4.y is the currently latest longterm kernel and 3.6.11 is a just a discontinued kernel that I stopped at along the way to the next (currently unreleased) 3.12 kernel. I likely won't be porting this any farther until some of the critical USB and SDHCI bugs get fix. At minimal, I want someone to look into forward porting the SDHCI driver properly before I forward port this any farther than 3.6.

The kernels can both be found on Github at the following locations:
3.4.y: https://github.com/DeltaResero/GC-Wii-Linux-Kernel-3.4.y
3.6.11: https://github.com/DeltaResero/GC-Wii-Linux-Kernel-3.6.11-POC

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't stop there, I also ported the 3.4 kernel patch to 3.6.11. For those who don't know already, the 3.4.y is the currently latest longterm kernel and 3.6.11 is a just a discontinued kernel that I stopped at along the way to the next (currently unreleased) 3.12 kernel. I likely won't be porting this any farther until some of the critical USB and SDHCI bugs get fix. At minimal, I want someone to look into forward porting the SDHCI driver properly before I forward port this any farther than 3.6.

The kernels can both be found on Github at the following locations:
3.4.y: https://github.com/DeltaResero/GC-Wii-Linux-Kernel-3.4.y
3.6.11: https://github.com/DeltaResero/GC-Wii-Linux-Kernel-3.6.11-POC

Thank you for your work Delta, do you have any known working configs?

ÐeltaResero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for your work Delta, do you have any known working configs?

I placed additional GameCube and Wii (IOS and MINI) defconfigs into the folder "arch/powerpc/configs/". The Wii configurations are known to work, but I don't know about the GameCube ones. I assume the WiiU would use a configuration similar to the MINI Wii configuration that I have there. I avoided modules to keep things simple in these configurations and to help increase boot speeds as powersavings isn't really a priority. Also, I don't have any video Naxil as I don't have a DVD player with record or a TV tuner card yet.

EDIT: I just noticed, I pushed the wrong configs for 3.6.11 and need to update them. For MINI, the SDHCI driver is disabled when it should be enabled. I'm going to push a commit that fixes this...

...Changes have now been made, Wii in MINI mode (and vWii) should now work.

Reactions: Ninja_Carver

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not yet but I spoke to some highly skilled and well known individuals from a group I used to work along side with in the 360 scene, We have identified what needs to be done and how to do it, the only issue now is implementing it. I relayed the information to the rest of the Tri core linux team. As far as I am aware from my observations Maxternal has spent the most time looking it over.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:glare:
Not... Cool...

Sorry I missed the memo, I should have been the first one to be informed since I wrote up the notes and findings and conducted the consultations as well as delivered the solutions pertaining to what was just asked. However I was absent during discussions. However I would like a word with you in PM next time you are on IRC.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Sorry I missed the memo, I should have been the first one to be informed since I wrote up the notes and findings and conducted the consultations as well as delivered the solutions pertaining to what was just asked. However I was absent during discussions. However I would like a word with you in PM next time you are on IRC.

I think a progress report is fine. Thanks for that.
I think you just ruined his chance to watch people make crazy speculations over his video :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1