Homebrew RELEASE VBA-next for Switch(works 4.1)

catlover007

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would someone recommend using this version over the recent Libretro ports of vba-next, or is this just an alternative port?
the libtransistor libretro ports currently don't support 4.x so I can't tell exactly what they are capable of. I started the port when libretro still only worked on 3.0 and although it's based of the libretro version of vba-next it's detached from retroarch, so it isn't exactly retroarch anymore.

In the long run this project will probably be discontinued anyway, as soon as the retroarch Switch port is mature enough.

Reactions: baretbh

baretbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
T
the libtransistor libretro ports currently don't support 4.x so I can't tell exactly what they are capable of. I started the port when libretro still only worked on 3.0 and although it's based of the libretro version of vba-next it's detached from retroarch, so it isn't exactly retroarch anymore.

In the long run this project will probably be discontinued anyway, as soon as the retroarch Switch port is mature enough.
Thank you for the explanation!

KuraudoSutoraifu

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would it be possible to add a reset option in the X-menu in one of the future builds? I know I could easily exit out of a game and start it back up, but having that option would be convenient :D

DigitalJosee

Go your clever boy, and remember me!
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just tried it with Mario e Luigi Superstar Saga, and it's perfect. I had 0 problems after 2 hours of gaming, no lag, no sound problem, nothing, I can't complain about it, would pay for if possible.

PS: Do you plan to add internal rescale for it? GBA resolution looks pretty ugly on my 4K TV, although, it looks fine on switch's screen.

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since nobody gave you an actual answer on how to save properly in-game, I'll elaborate.

You want to make sure you don't press the home button at all after saving, you want to press X to bring up the home brew menu and then X again to exit the emulator through the menu. If you do this properly, the game will recognize that you exited as opposed to suspended the software.

That works for VBA Next but not
Thanks! I can't post images for now.

This is my fork github link: /dene-/vba-next-switch

Edit: added built nro with the setting and also "switch/roms/gba" as starting directory like it was in gdkGBA. Based on 0.3
Edit 2: It's tested of course, I'm using it now on my switch :)

Any chance we could get version 4 with these features and additions to the emulator?

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Here I'll fix that

Github.com/dene-/vba-next-switch/releases/tag/0.4.1

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Made a release on my fork: github dot com/dene-/vba-next-switch/releases/tag/0.4.1

Still can't publish links for now.

You will be there in no time

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Made a release on my fork: github dot com/dene-/vba-next-switch/releases/tag/0.4.1

Still can't publish links for now.

"switch/roms/gba" as starting directory like it was in gdkGBA.

Is missing as root directory which is very useful

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Played Mother 3 for a while with the nearest fullscreen option, and its just lovely.

Two minor points:

- I understand, that you've just put them in, but please add an option to diable the "saved" "loaded" prompts with filepaths in game - as an option - for people that know not to press the home button at any time.. ;) In game, in some games with auto save features they can become very distracting.

- I like the idea of separating settings in a seperate menu (minus), but the button path to get there now is about "as non standard as it gets" (press X, then press - (select in older "terminology")). Also, for people that dont read changelogs, the menu is now pretty hard to find. So maybe - place one entry to the settings menu in the main menu - and both of those "worries" would be solved. (Leave the press - (minus) in as a shortcut.. ;) )

edit: For everyone reading - using frameskip settings causes jumpy screen scrolling - so know that there is a tradeoff, if in a certain game - you'd want to get the music "just right".. :)

Last edited by notimp,

0x9e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Played Mother 3 for a while with the nearest fullscreen option, and its just lovely.

Two minor points:

- I understand, that you've just put them in, but please add an option to diable the "saved" "loaded" prompts with filepaths in game - as an option - for people that know not to press the home button at any time.. ;) In game, in some games with auto save features they can become very distracting.

- I like the idea of separating settings in a seperate menu (minus), but the button path to get there now is about "as non standard as it gets" (press X, then press - (select in older "terminology")). Also, for people that dont read changelogs, the menu is now pretty hard to find. So maybe - place one entry to the settings menu in the main menu - and both of those "worries" would be solved. (Leave the press - (minus) in as a shortcut.. ;) )

edit: For everyone reading - using frameskip settings causes jumpy screen scrolling - so know that there is a tradeoff, if in a certain game - you'd want to get the music "just right".. :)

I will look into those points this week, I already was working on the second one.

In the future the ability to add cheats will be added. For convenience I suppose you'll have to put a .txt file with the codes and all, the same name as the rom and you'll be able to enable/disable them. Instructions to make those .txt files will be given as well.

Reactions: notimp and frange41

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum