Valve says it will make games again, was jealous at Nintendo

valve.jpg

Valve is the company behind some of the industry's most iconic titles, bringing classics like Half-Life, Portal and Counter Strike to players all over the world. Over the years however, the company decided to switch its focus to Steam and more recently, Hardware, leaving many players wondering if there ever will be another game from them after DOTA 2. Gabe Newell, president and CEO of Valve, revealed at a presentation that his company is getting back into developing new games, starting with the DOTA 2-themed card game, Artifact.

"Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that's sort of good news. Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again."

Artifact isn't the only game that Valve has in its pipeline, as at a 2017 Reddit AMA, Newell said that there is at least one new fully-fledged single player game in the works. In addition, three big VR games will also be coming from them. When asked about specifics, Newell replied:

"We aren't going to be talking about it today, but sort of the big thing, the new arrow we have in our quiver, really, is our ability to develop hardware and software simultaneously."

Newell described Valve's focus on Steam and hardware as an investment in the future, saying that Valve has always been jealous at companies like Nintendo who are experts at developing hardware and software.

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo. When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

What do you think? Is there hope for a new Half-Life, maybe?

:arrow: Source

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's all fine and good, but didn't all of their actual game-making talent leave the company? Last I heard, Valve was reduced to a collection of marketers and accountants.

OllieD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Valve is incapable of making a game that doesn't revolve around hats or skins, Their games are almost an EA cash grab these days! (Online Only, No Campaign, Filled to the brim with cosmetic items facilitating and encouraging "trading" and therefore gambling.)
I'm half expecting a terrible game that requires users to have one of those nasty steam controllers.

I lost hope in valve a long time ago :cry:

Last edited by OllieD,
D

Deleted User

Steam, Artifact doesn't fucking count as a game, as nobody wanted it.

Steam making games, funny joke. I'll believe it when I see it.

Only 1 game will get them out of anyone's doghouse, and I don't trust them to not fuck it up after waiting so long.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

CrazyButtStabber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean long after when the VR fad dies because it is a useless gimmick worse than Labo?
Isnt it actually doing really well though? PlayStation vr alone is getting 150 new vr games this year. It's only a useless gimmick when you haven't tried said gimmick.
Not to mention that both psvr and the Vive are getting newer verions of their headsets.

Last edited by CrazyButtStabber,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"We're making games again!!"
*Pushes Artifact like it's not going to be bad*

Hopefully it means good things, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt after years and years of dismissal and avoidance from Gabe on any projects they work on.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work