Valve Prepared To Make Hardware If Necessary

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I shall ignore the current discussion and go back to the opening post- a valve console..... I am not sure they have enough juice for it.

A valve "all our games and those in the partner program will work stunningly on this PC for the next ? years" custom built PC* or a deal with a PC maker (or some licensing for many companies) that could offer the same- that I could see them making a pretty penny on (there is already a fair market for the pricey assembled gaming/high performance rigs with one of the bigger companies just down the road from Valve if memory serves and the industrial/CAD world does it often enough as well). Granted I would prefer fully open/allowing "clones" and allowing people to diverge if they wanted (basically not the mac model of lock in).

*I am not adverse to a sliding scale or a "this game will work on valve 1,2,3,4 and 5 PCs on max settings but valve 6,7,8 and 9 models will require medium settings" affair or something akin to "Windows Experience Index- useful version" either (thinking "your PC needs a steam rating of ?? to play this on max").

Just to finish it I am however opposed to a black box/turnkey offering that is still essentially running PC hardware.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
On a more serious note, I don't know how I'd feel about a Valve console. As much as they excel at the software department, I don't see how they would be able to provide a better service besides what they're already trying to implement in existing systems.

I think they should stick to what they're known to be good at.

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
long quote

Wikipedia said:
A normal CD-reader will not read beyond the first track because, according to the CD table of contents (TOC), there is no data there. With modified firmware that looks for a second TOC in the high-density region it is possible to read data from the high-density region even on a normal CD-reader. One can also utilize a "swap-trick" by first letting the CD-reader read the TOC from a normal CD with a large track and then swapping that disc with a GD-ROM in a way that avoids alerting the CD-reader that a new disc has been inserted. It is then possible to read as much data from the high-density region as indicated by the TOC from the first disc.

Of course, I don't know how much of this is true...

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So...

HATBU.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users