Hacking UStealth - Wii U 'Format Disk' Nag workaround :)

sketch2k278

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait... Question so with this app could I partition the HDD for wii/vwii use and not worry about the will u asking to format my HDD? I only ask because i do have some wii u games that i've purchased digitally

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait... Question so with this app could I partition the HDD for wii/vwii use and not worry about the will u asking to format my HDD? I only ask because i do have some wii u games that i've purchased digitally

Unfortunately not. It hides the entire drive from Wii U and the drive is only seen by apps that support the drive signature. Only use it if you have a drive you want to dedicate to your vWii USB Loader backups.

Reactions: sketch2k278

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Added USB Loader GX to the list of supported apps (see opening post for link to .dol). Thanks to Cyan.

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Still can't get it to work on my Windows 8 64Bit system. Any idea?

Only thing I can suggest is please post a screenshot of what happens when you try run it. We had another user report it crashed on his win 7 machine but worked fine on his laptop. Do you have antivirus running? Try disabling that. Are you running it as administrator? If you're up to it, I'd be glad to put some time aside to troubleshoot for you. Are you OK to have me work remotely with your PC (while you watch of course)?
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm running it on Windows 8 64 bit btw.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only thing I can suggest is please post a screenshot of what happens when you try run it. We had another user report it crashed on his win 7 machine but worked fine on his laptop. Do you have antivirus running? Try disabling that. Are you running it as administrator? If you're up to it, I'd be glad to put some time aside to troubleshoot for you. Are you OK to have me work remotely with your PC (while you watch of course)?
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm running it on Windows 8 64 bit btw.
Yes, I'm running it as admin. When I start it, SmartScreen comes up, which doesn't let it start.

EDIT: Turned off SmartScreen, but now it still crashes.

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You are right. I turned SmartScreen off, but it still crashes without showing up.

OK, so there's something else amiss. Do you have antivirus running (though I doubt it's that since at that point it's not writing to the boot sector)? Do you have access to another PC to test it on?

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've added some error handling to the app so hopefully it won't crash on systems that won't allow it to get the drive handle and read the boot sector. It may not fix the issue but it may at least report the problem (drive in use, etc).

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I've just had time to troubleshoot a system that it was crashing on, ***thanks to Air2004***
I've uploaded a new version with the release date and number in the header of the form. Anyone who was experiencing crashes on launching the app can download and try again.
Thanks!

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
*EDIT* 16 August
Added code to prevent crash on systems with card readers. It now skips over the empty card reader drives which were causing it to crash previously when it tried to read the details of the media in the drive. Thanks again Air2004!

Doesn't work for me on Windows 8 64Bit. SmartScreen doesn't let it start. I'm running it with admin rights. Any idea?
I suspect your issue has been solved with the new code. Please test and let us know. Thanks!

Reactions: air2004

mckenziesdaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on Win7 x64, I start the program with admin controls. My USB drive shows up, When I double click it nothing happens. The only antivirus I have installed is windows defender. I even tried one of my system HDD's and it will not even hide them.

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am on Win7 x64, I start the program with admin controls. My USB drive shows up, When I double click it nothing happens. The only antivirus I have installed is windows defender. I even tried one of my system HDD's and it will not even hide them.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Firstly, you won't be able to hide the drive with your operating system on, it should tell you that when you try. Other internal drives are fine.

Can you take a screenshot of the application before and after attempting to hide the drive? Just press PrtScrn on the keyboard, open MS Paint and click Edit-Paste. You can crop the image to include only the application screen.

Do you get any errors?

Does it ask you to confirm that you want to hide the drive (Yes/No)?

What shows under the status column before and after double clicking the drive you want to hide in the list?

Thanks!

mckenziesdaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Firstly, you won't be able to hide the drive with your operating system on, it should tell you that when you try. Other internal drives are fine.

Can you take a screenshot of the application before and after attempting to hide the drive? Just press PrtScrn on the keyboard, open MS Paint and click Edit-Paste. You can crop the image to include only the application screen.

Do you get any errors?

Does it ask you to confirm that you want to hide the drive (Yes/No)?

What shows under the status column before and after double clicking the drive you want to hide in the list?

Thanks!

I get no errors and no prompts. The screen just sits there like this. I have double clicked, I have reinstall my .NET programs. I have checked everything on my end. Unless I am mistaken I just double click the name of the drive I want to hide right? Also even the recheck button doesn't work.
ZMFVRMn.jpg

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a ton, that's useful input. I'd like to suggest perhaps running it in safe mode to confirm whether any other software is causing a compatibility clash. I suspect this is a .Net framework issue but since it's not throwing an exception, it's difficult to troubleshoot. In a situation like this, I'd normally install Visual C# Express and download the latest source code to troubleshoot. I'll send you a PM in a couple of hours after my afternoon meeting in case you have time to test.
Thanks again

*EDIT* Just thought of something... I suspect your drives are all newish (4Kb sector) drives. What you can do is open a command prompt as administrator (right click the command prompt shortcut and 'run as administrator'... then enter the following for each of the drives in your system:

Code:
fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

Just substitute c: with d:, e: etc for the different drives.
Please copy/paste the results here, or just send a screenshot.

Thanks!

mckenziesdaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton, that's useful input. I'd like to suggest perhaps running it in safe mode to confirm whether any other software is causing a compatibility clash. I suspect this is a .Net framework issue but since it's not throwing an exception, it's difficult to troubleshoot. In a situation like this, I'd normally install Visual C# Express and download the latest source code to troubleshoot. I'll send you a PM in a couple of hours after my afternoon meeting in case you have time to test.
Thanks again

*EDIT* Just thought of something... I suspect your drives are all newish (4Kb sector) drives. What you can do is open a command prompt as administrator (right click the command prompt shortcut and 'run as administrator'... then enter the following for each of the drives in your system:

Code:
fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

Just substitute c: with d:, e: etc for the different drives.
Please copy/paste the results here, or just send a screenshot.

Thanks!

Your
fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c: requires a NTSF drive and my external is FAT32.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work on this. I'll test it out tonight when I get home. That format nag screen always worries me. Its so easy when super tired or drunk to pick the wrong one completely by accident. Young children in the house can also ruin things.

I have a silly question. With this software you can hide the drive completely from wiiu awareness. Could you then plug in a second HDD into the wiiu and then dedicate this drive to WiiU titles/format?

As far as Nintendo blocking this hack, I really don't see why they would. They haven't so far made any updates to the vWii, and I think it would be far easier for them to rain on our parade by doing that than it would be to update their WiiU drive detection.

EDIT: I just came up with another question. I have old console roms on the same drive (no homebrew though). Can this data still be read and accessed by say the WiiFlow plugins?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Depends everyone mixing their flour now days