UStealth - Wii U 'Format Disk' Nag workaround :)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jayjay123, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jayjay123
    OP

jayjay123 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Awesome, thanks a ton - I had hassles getting wiimc to compile. I'll add your compiled project to the OP.

2. jayjay123
    OP

jayjay123 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Nice work Cyan, I'll add to the OP.
    *EDIT*
    Lol, you beat me to it, kudos!

3. Damian666

Damian666 Coder from Hell

Mar 24, 2010
    Netherlands
    In your code...
    icon.

some small thingy i made up to replace the usb toggle app icon.png, the old one really made my skin crawl :P

Dami

4. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Okay ,the USB toggle thing for wii stopped working once, it now says "Crap!" and "Drive not found!" after I used it once.
    I have a WD self powered drive.

I was going to dig into the source code into that homebrew to find out what was going on, but since that homebrew is no source code, any tips?

5. Onion_Knight

Onion_Knight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2014
    The code I wrote was part of a larger port of the usb and usbstorage to enable ven support for nintendont on my wii u so I could leave my controller plugged in the first port and use both back ports for my usb device. So I am basically re-writing it, it should be finished tomorrow. My guess is that its mounting the plug. The updated version will loop through all of the usb ports and determine which one is the valid drive to "toggle".

6. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Ah, okay, thank you for that!

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I also planed to add a toggle option in USBGX, but still haven't tested it.
    I don't know when I'll add it, but it's planed.

8. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    This precompiled version didn't work for me.
    Anyone else it did work for?
    I'll try copying the DOL file again to see if maybe I'm still just using the old one but I have two FAT32 partitions and neither show up. USB Loaders use them fine (with the obvious exception of emuNAND).

Also, curious, was this compiled with the modded libFAT, too, or just with the included patch?

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    just with the included patch.
    It was enough to enable stealth with USBLoaderGX, and a lot of Wiixplorer sources are identical so I assumed it was enough too.
    if it requires it to libfat, it might also require it with other partition format libaries.

Maxternal likes this.
  10. Onion_Knight

Feb 6, 2014
    USB Toggle 2.0 is uploaded. I've included the source since people asked about it. I also included the .png that was donated to it. With the update:

It now loops through and detects all USB Mass Storage devices that are attached. If it can't find them the first time, just relaunch. For some hard drives it takes a second to get up to speed, or at least it does on my 2TB. I created a wrapper called USBI which wraps up all the required functions from usb.h and usbstorage.h for a cleaner interface to work with. I documented the code, there isn't much required, so that you should be able to read it easily.

Attached Files:

uyjulian and pelago like this.
  11. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Thanks for including the source.

12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Thanks for the sources.
    I didn't thought about incrementing/decrementing the signature. I was gonna write the new value directly.
    I'll probably use the same method when I add it to usbloaderGX then. Thanks for the idea :)

Onion_Knight likes this.
  13. Onion_Knight

Feb 6, 2014

I would rather just the value inline than overwrite it directly. Too many things go wrong when overwriting something. This way, i'm controlling only the partition magic number

14. solarsaturn9

solarsaturn9 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    United States
    Is there any way to compile devkitpro stuff on Mac? I would love to be able to use the emulators with Ustealth.

15. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    There's a script to install devkitpro on mac, search around

16. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    since ustealth makes your drive hidden to the wiiU would this be possible:

-make two partitions
    -leave partition A alone
    -make partition B invisible

wiiu formats partition A for itself, the invisible partition B used for vwii games.

17. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Wii U does not allow partitions
    you need 2 HDDs

pelago likes this.
  18. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's not the individual partition which is invisible, but the partition table which is corrupted.
    the sector 0 of the drive, where you define the partitions contains a signature to verify if the drive has a partition table or not.
    editing the signature prevent the WiiU to ask to delete existing partitions, as it can't check if the sector 0 is still a partition table or the WiiU format (well, nintendo could do it, but it seems they don't care)

And the WiiU format all the drive from sector 0 to the final one without any partition.
    There's a way to fake the HDD size, and you can have a real hidden partition, but you'll have to put the drive on PC to unhide it and don't forget to re-hide the area before connecting it back to the console. It's not a viable solution for vWii.

pelago likes this.
  19. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    so if you've made a real hidden partition like you say, have the wii format the visible partition then unhide the hidden one what happens when you reconnect it to the wiiU? does it automatically reformat the drive?

you would think the wiiu would be happy if it saw a wiiu partition right at the start of the drive.

20. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    just get 2 hdds, it's much easier and safer.