Hacking UStealth - Wii U 'Format Disk' Nag workaround :)

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just compiled WiiMC today following this tutorial as I also wanted to be able to use WiiMC with UStealth.

I modified, or more accurately, removed line 570 of fileop.cpp as suggested by Cyan and got rid of a couple of brackets as there was no longer an if statement. This gets rid of the MBR Signature Verification. Hopefully this is sufficient and I haven't caused a bigger unseen problem. I have tested it on my Wii U, however, and everything seems to be working so far.

Here are the compiled boot.dol and boot.elf. Once again, I'm not sure if I made some mistake making the necessary edit or in the compilation, so use these at your own risk. I haven't done anything with code for probably five years, so it's a distinct possibility. However, following the tutorial I linked to it should be possible to compile your own modified version, even for someone not familiar with development environments.

Good luck, and if anyone decides to use this (besides me), I'd be very interested to hear if it works.

Awesome, thanks a ton - I had hassles getting wiimc to compile. I'll add your compiled project to the OP.

jayjay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I added a list of compatible homebrew to the first post.
there's not a lot ...

If you know another one, let me know and I'll add it too.

About Wiixplorer:
In the branches, you have lib7zip.
You need to compile it (make) and install the library to your portlib folder (make install).

I compiled all c sources, but I have an error when linking everything.
libunrar.a seems to be an issue, I'll do the same than 7lib and try again.
edit: it worked. Thanks to Dimok for providing the libraries in branches.

I updated only 7z and rar libraries, I didn't compile all other branches so I might be outdated, I don't know if my compiled version will work fine with all features.

Additional portlibs compiled libraries: libsevenzip and libunrar (make a backup of your old files and folder before replacing)
Wiixplorer r259 with 55AA and 55AB signature: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rk7b81qqd761s2i/R259_mod_UStealth.7z

Can someone test the stealth'd version?
I don't know if it will work with all partition format, it's possible specific libraries (libfat, nfs, etc.) use their own partition table check.

Nice work Cyan, I'll add to the OP.
*EDIT*
Lol, you beat me to it, kudos!

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
icon.png

some small thingy i made up to replace the usb toggle app icon.png, the old one really made my skin crawl :P

Dami

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay ,the USB toggle thing for wii stopped working once, it now says "Crap!" and "Drive not found!" after I used it once.
I have a WD self powered drive.

I was going to dig into the source code into that homebrew to find out what was going on, but since that homebrew is no source code, any tips?

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay ,the USB toggle thing for wii stopped working once, it now says "Crap!" and "Drive not found!" after I used it once.
I have a WD self powered drive.

I was going to dig into the source code into that homebrew to find out what was going on, but since that homebrew is no source code, any tips?

The code I wrote was part of a larger port of the usb and usbstorage to enable ven support for nintendont on my wii u so I could leave my controller plugged in the first port and use both back ports for my usb device. So I am basically re-writing it, it should be finished tomorrow. My guess is that its mounting the plug. The updated version will loop through all of the usb ports and determine which one is the valid drive to "toggle".

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The code I wrote was part of a larger port of the usb and usbstorage to enable ven support for nintendont on my wii u so I could leave my controller plugged in the first port and use both back ports for my usb device. So I am basically re-writing it, it should be finished tomorrow. My guess is that its mounting the plug. The updated version will loop through all of the usb ports and determine which one is the valid drive to "toggle".

Ah, okay, thank you for that!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I added a list of compatible homebrew to the first post.
there's not a lot ...

If you know another one, let me know and I'll add it too.

About Wiixplorer:
In the branches, you have lib7zip.
You need to compile it (make) and install the library to your portlib folder (make install).

I compiled all c sources, but I have an error when linking everything.
libunrar.a seems to be an issue, I'll do the same than 7lib and try again.
edit: it worked. Thanks to Dimok for providing the libraries in branches.

I updated only 7z and rar libraries, I didn't compile all other branches so I might be outdated, I don't know if my compiled version will work fine with all features.

Additional portlibs compiled libraries: libsevenzip and libunrar (make a backup of your old files and folder before replacing)
Wiixplorer r259 with 55AA and 55AB signature: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rk7b81qqd761s2i/R259_mod_UStealth.7z

Can someone test the stealth'd version?
I don't know if it will work with all partition format, it's possible specific libraries (libfat, nfs, etc.) use their own partition table check.

This precompiled version didn't work for me.
Anyone else it did work for?
I'll try copying the DOL file again to see if maybe I'm still just using the old one but I have two FAT32 partitions and neither show up. USB Loaders use them fine (with the obvious exception of emuNAND).

Also, curious, was this compiled with the modded libFAT, too, or just with the included patch?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
just with the included patch.
It was enough to enable stealth with USBLoaderGX, and a lot of Wiixplorer sources are identical so I assumed it was enough too.
if it requires it to libfat, it might also require it with other partition format libaries.

Reactions: Maxternal

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
USB Toggle 2.0 is uploaded. I've included the source since people asked about it. I also included the .png that was donated to it. With the update:

It now loops through and detects all USB Mass Storage devices that are attached. If it can't find them the first time, just relaunch. For some hard drives it takes a second to get up to speed, or at least it does on my 2TB. I created a wrapper called USBI which wraps up all the required functions from usb.h and usbstorage.h for a cleaner interface to work with. I documented the code, there isn't much required, so that you should be able to read it easily.

Attachments

• USB_Toggle.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,232
Reactions: uyjulian and pelago

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the sources.
I didn't thought about incrementing/decrementing the signature. I was gonna write the new value directly.
I'll probably use the same method when I add it to usbloaderGX then. Thanks for the idea :)

Reactions: Onion_Knight

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the sources.
I didn't thought about incrementing/decrementing the signature. I was gonna write the new value directly.
I'll probably use the same method when I add it to usbloaderGX then. Thanks for the idea :)

I would rather just the value inline than overwrite it directly. Too many things go wrong when overwriting something. This way, i'm controlling only the partition magic number

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
since ustealth makes your drive hidden to the wiiU would this be possible:

-make two partitions
-leave partition A alone
-make partition B invisible

wiiu formats partition A for itself, the invisible partition B used for vwii games.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
since ustealth makes your drive hidden to the wiiU would this be possible:

-make two partitions
-leave partition A alone
-make partition B invisible

wiiu formats partition A for itself, the invisible partition B used for vwii games.

Wii U does not allow partitions
you need 2 HDDs

Reactions: pelago

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's not the individual partition which is invisible, but the partition table which is corrupted.
the sector 0 of the drive, where you define the partitions contains a signature to verify if the drive has a partition table or not.
editing the signature prevent the WiiU to ask to delete existing partitions, as it can't check if the sector 0 is still a partition table or the WiiU format (well, nintendo could do it, but it seems they don't care)

And the WiiU format all the drive from sector 0 to the final one without any partition.
There's a way to fake the HDD size, and you can have a real hidden partition, but you'll have to put the drive on PC to unhide it and don't forget to re-hide the area before connecting it back to the console. It's not a viable solution for vWii.

Reactions: pelago

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And the WiiU format all the drive from sector 0 to the final one without any partition.
There's a way to fake the HDD size, and you can have a real hidden partition, but you'll have to put the drive on PC to unhide it and don't forget to re-hide the area before connecting it back to the console. It's not a viable solution for vWii.

so if you've made a real hidden partition like you say, have the wii format the visible partition then unhide the hidden one what happens when you reconnect it to the wiiU? does it automatically reformat the drive?

you would think the wiiu would be happy if it saw a wiiu partition right at the start of the drive.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
so if you've made a real hidden partition like you say, have the wii format the visible partition then unhide the hidden one what happens when you reconnect it to the wiiU? does it automatically reformat the drive?

you would think the wiiu would be happy if it saw a wiiu partition right at the start of the drive.

just get 2 hdds, it's much easier and safer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb