Hacking UStealth may have bricked my USB drive. Please Help

bungboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran UStealth, and hid the USB drive, only to find that now no vWii homebrew app actually found it. Not only that, the drive is now invisible to the UStealth program itself. I tried to use USB Toggle, but that failed to run on vWii. It is a SanDisk Ultra 64GB, and I was wondering if there were any homebrew apps or even bootable apps that I can use like GParted to format the USB.

Ashell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flash memory can be tricky sometimes. If you just want to make the card usable again, it needs a low level format. Do a google search for flash drive low level format. There are some free ones out there. If you want to try to recover the media, you could try testdisk. Its all command line, but super powerful and intuitive. I have rescued orphaned raids twice with it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Nintendo non standard file system.

kindacozi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're on windows, right click the start button in the lower left corner and click "Disk Management"
Find the desired drive in the list, delete all partitions and create 1 new Fat32 partition.
Don't mess with Drive 0 unless you know what you're doing. (It's the C: drive windows is installed on.)

On macOS or Linux you'll need to find it. Pretty much just search "Disk" in whatever your computer uses to search.

An easy way to find out what drive is your drive is to simply see the sizes of all the partitions. Your main HDD/SSD will (Most likely anyway) be much larger than the flash drive, while having 2-3 partitions. (Storage, System Reserved, and Recovery) Your flash drive will be a single-partitioned 64GB drive. (Also under the Disk # it will say "Removable" and not "Basic")

On macOS/Linux you can actually make the drive appear as 2-4 drives (Pretty useless but I thought I'd throw it in)
*This actually crashes windows :O*

Last edited by kindacozi,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diskpart is a better tool for windows than disk management. It's built in. Google it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1. Click on your start menu.
2. Type "diskpart" without the quotes. You dont need to click anywhwere after you click the start menu. Just follow the directions and type "diskpart" without the quotes.
3. It may prompt you for admin rights. Just click allow or yes
4. In the command prompt window (the black screen) type "list disk"
5. Make a note of which disk is your external drive.
6. Type "select disk 1" or whatever drive is your external drive.
7. Type "clean"
8. Type "create partition primary"
9. Type "select partition 1"
10. Type "active"
11. Type "format=ntfs quick"
12. Type "assign"

Your disk is now fixed. Format it as you please

Reactions: timtimFR and Ricken

bungboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see, the problem is that Windows doesn't recognize it at all. All the apps I've tried, including diskpart and low level format, all of them say that it has no media.

EDIT: It does, however, recognize it as an Ultra in devices in control panel, but trying to troubleshoot hasn't really done anything for it.

Last edited by bungboi,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see, the problem is that Windows doesn't recognize it at all. All the apps I've tried, including diskpart and low level format, all of them say that it has no media.

EDIT: It does, however, recognize it as an Ultra in devices in control panel, but trying to troubleshoot hasn't really done anything for it.
Seams like I remember seeing some information in the UStealth thread on how to remove it so windows will see it. I'm not sure since I just told my kids never to format and I've never used UStealth.

From the UStealth OP:

"Note that this doesn't solve the issue that the drive can't be used by both Wii U and vWii - that issue isn't likely to be easily resolved. The hidden drive will be totally ignored by Wii U (and Windows and everything else except supported apps) until it is un-hidden using the tool. Windows will tell you the drive is not formatted and ask you if you want to format it when connected after hiding it - obviously the answer is no unless you want to lose everything on it :) Simply run U-Stealth and unhide it to work with it in Windows again."

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're on windows, right click the start button in the lower left corner and click "Disk Management"
Find the desired drive in the list, delete all partitions and create 1 new Fat32 partition.
Don't mess with Drive 0 unless you know what you're doing. (It's the C: drive windows is installed on.)

On macOS or Linux you'll need to find it. Pretty much just search "Disk" in whatever your computer uses to search.

An easy way to find out what drive is your drive is to simply see the sizes of all the partitions. Your main HDD/SSD will (Most likely anyway) be much larger than the flash drive, while having 2-3 partitions. (Storage, System Reserved, and Recovery) Your flash drive will be a single-partitioned 64GB drive. (Also under the Disk # it will say "Removable" and not "Basic")

On macOS/Linux you can actually make the drive appear as 2-4 drives (Pretty useless but I thought I'd throw it in)
*This actually crashes windows :O*
I always had thought Windows/Linux were more 'open' than macOS. Looks like I was wrong

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always had thought Windows/Linux were more 'open' than macOS. Looks like I was wrong
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you fix It?

FYI, macos is based on Linux soooo...

Edit: I should say that it's based on BSD but it's super "closed" source

Last edited by Kafluke,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, UStealth doesn't even recognize it, so I'm not sure how to go about this
Well if windows doesn't recognize it and ustealth doesn't recognize it you may be screwed. Have you tried Linux? You can easily and for free download a distro like Linux Mint Live CD then burn it to a disc and boot your PC temporarily to Linux

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Open meaning you could do more things on it, there isn't as much security.
uh, security is definitely there.

... uh

I've no idea why you'd say it is based on Linux. or why it being "super closed source" is an argument as to why you said it is based on Linux instead of BSD.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yea, one program did it anyway and plugging it in makes windows unstable to the point of crashing.
Actually, I don't think you can give other partitions than the first one a drive letter, even if you remove the drive letter of the first partition first. Windows for some reason likes to pretend the other partitions don't exist.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uh, security is definitely there.

... uh

I've no idea why you'd say it is based on Linux. or why it being "super closed source" is an argument as to why you said it is based on Linux instead of BSD.
Statistically, Mac is just safer, it's common knowledge, but there's a price for it. Mac performed best when faced with viruses. Ever wonder why big companies shell out Macs to the higher level staff (people with confid info on their computers)?

I do wonder why little to no Mac users use BootCamp for Windows 10. It's free!

Yeah, like @gnmmarechal said, Linux is much different than BSD. You can't really say one is the other. Ahhh, remember those days when NeXT was around?

Last edited by aykay55,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this? A MAC vs PC debate on the internet? How original.

Anyway much of what you say is just plain wrong. Having supported business PC's in the workplace for the last 20 years I think I can speak as to why executives get macs. It's because they're tech stupid and demand it. There are far too many reasons to list here and frankly I don't have the energy to explain why macs aren't meant for work environments.

We have a saying in the industry when a Mac user calls for help, "Tell them to take off the training wheels and buy a pc!"

Reactions: TheTechGenius

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this? A MAC vs PC debate on the internet? How original.

Anyway much of what you say is just plain wrong. Having supported business PC's in the workplace for the last 20 years I think I can speak as to why executives get macs. It's because they're tech stupid and demand it. There are far too many reasons to list here and frankly I don't have the energy to explain why macs aren't meant for work environments.

We have a saying in the industry when a Mac user calls for help, "Tell them to take off the training wheels and buy a pc!"
This reminds me of the classic "I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC. We're both very different, but we're also the same."

Reactions: Kafluke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof