Homebrew Using your Wii as a Media Center

Triphys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

I'm just curious.. I have a server packed with music and videos, and I would like to stream it to my Wii somehow. I've read about applications like Orb and X-oom Media Center but I'm not quite sure what to use.
Is there an application for Wii which is able to stream music and videos (Xvid, Divx etc.) from a local network?

Thanks in advance

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing has reached XBMC grade yet (which is able to use all the main protocols) but most video stuff will be done via the mplayer ports and frontends like geexbox for the wii. Naturally this requires a homebrew capable wii (this entire forum section is dedicated to it).

The apps you speak of work using the flash that comes with the wii internet browser and are not very good compared.

Cius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you could setup mplayerwii using samba. Just install HBC and goto wiibrew for some info. Theres also a tutorial on this website somewhere on how to setup mplayerwii just use the search function.

agimann

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
yes there are and it`s called MPLAYERWII. good luck
smile.gif

Triphys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright! Thanks for the quick replies
smile.gif

I'm running Homebrew on my Wii right now and it works great with Gamma loader, so maybe i should check out that mplayer.
An Xbmc equivalent would be awesome tho, but maybe in time we'll see that awell
smile.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
For Samba streaming, i believe MPlayer CE might be the best (from what I've heard), followed by MPlayer Wii.

The only real good thing about GeeXboX is the USB HDD support.

Triphys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OSW said:
For Samba streaming, i believe MPlayer CE might be the best (from what I've heard), followed by MPlayer Wii.

The only real good thing about GeeXboX is the USB HDD support.
Okay, so Mplayer CE and Wii are two different versions?

bolex17

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Wii has great potential as a Media Centre,

Although it hasn't reached a level such as to XBMC.. For basic streaming of .mp3 and movie files it does a great job.

Honestly i would stick to a homebrew application such as MPlayer CE rather than go for a web solution. Web solution tends to rely on a flash player which when encodes the video often results often causes major quality loss.

I am using MPlayer CE now with SMB shares on my windows machine, as soon as they add features such as being to add multiple SMB Shares, Able to boot back to the Wii Menu (So i can make a Channel Loader), Better performance i'll happily use the Wii as a full time media centre.

BTW MPlayer CE supports USB Hard Drives as well. Played a 700MB movie off it and it played flawlessly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny