TMCThomas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello everyone!

Hadn't used the wii in a while and recently noticed that even though it had power the standby light didn't light up, only after removing all connections other than power it turned on. I took me a few tries before I could get it to power on with it's video cables inserted. However now it turned on with a relatively dark and grey colour, showing mostly green and a bit of blue. The TV is not the issue, I tested it with another TV the Wii has worked fine on before which showed the exact same problem. Interestingly a composite cable still works fine, it shows all the normal colours and the correct brightness. So I bought a set of new composite cables suspecting it might be the cable, unfortunately to no avail. Oddly enough the situation did change, blue colour now seemed to come through fine and only red seemed missing, while not really discernible on the photo it is also brighter now. However it now also glitches a little as you can see in the video. It’s not the cable though, because when I plug the old cable back in these changes are also apparent. So somehow the situation changed over time. I guess the issue has to be with the Wii, I was wondering if anyone has had an issue like this and how the might have fixed it? My current theory is that the part of the Wii that handles component out is somehow defect. But please correct me if I’m wrong if it’s actually something else.

20230221-161757.jpg

When I first got the wii to work again, this was the output.

20230329-221803.jpg

More blue and brightness now. I for example Immediately noticed the blue line around the lower hud elements being normal again.

Reactions: BattleLegendRed

cartergamegeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My own Wii will not even show a component image. Best guess I can find as to what might be the problem is the capacitors on the motherboard are starting to go bad. I wanted to open mine up and replace those. So you might have the same problem but doing this kind of fix can be a bit tricky unless you are use to replacing parts of motherboards. The Wii has 2 main things that kill the video. 1 is the video chip is damage but normally it is a capacitor problem. The Wii more or less flips the pin order to use component so if the capacitor is not outputting right then you might see errors or no image. Tons of broken Wii consoles that had image problems seem to get fixed once you replace these. No until I try that myself do not take my help as 100% but based on logic it seems they start to die after about 15 years and my Wii is from 07 and component does not work but it still does output 480i.

Reactions: TMCThomas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1