Using your Wii as a Media Center

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Triphys, Feb 3, 2009.

Feb 3, 2009
  1. Triphys
    OP

Newcomer Triphys Newbie

Sweden
    Hello

I'm just curious.. I have a server packed with music and videos, and I would like to stream it to my Wii somehow. I've read about applications like Orb and X-oom Media Center but I'm not quite sure what to use.
    Is there an application for Wii which is able to stream music and videos (Xvid, Divx etc.) from a local network?

Thanks in advance

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nothing has reached XBMC grade yet (which is able to use all the main protocols) but most video stuff will be done via the mplayer ports and frontends like geexbox for the wii. Naturally this requires a homebrew capable wii (this entire forum section is dedicated to it).

The apps you speak of work using the flash that comes with the wii internet browser and are not very good compared.

3. Cius

Newcomer Cius Member

Canada
    you could setup mplayerwii using samba. Just install HBC and goto wiibrew for some info. Theres also a tutorial on this website somewhere on how to setup mplayerwii just use the search function.

4. agimann

Member agimann GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    yes there are and it`s called MPLAYERWII. good luck [​IMG]

5. Triphys
    OP

Newcomer Triphys Newbie

Sweden
    Alright! Thanks for the quick replies [​IMG]

I'm running Homebrew on my Wii right now and it works great with Gamma loader, so maybe i should check out that mplayer.
    An Xbmc equivalent would be awesome tho, but maybe in time we'll see that awell [​IMG]

6. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    For Samba streaming, i believe MPlayer CE might be the best (from what I've heard), followed by MPlayer Wii.

The only real good thing about GeeXboX is the USB HDD support.

7. Triphys
    OP

Newcomer Triphys Newbie

Sweden
    Okay, so Mplayer CE and Wii are two different versions?

8. bolex17

Member bolex17 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The Wii has great potential as a Media Centre,

Although it hasn't reached a level such as to XBMC.. For basic streaming of .mp3 and movie files it does a great job.

Honestly i would stick to a homebrew application such as MPlayer CE rather than go for a web solution. Web solution tends to rely on a flash player which when encodes the video often results often causes major quality loss.

I am using MPlayer CE now with SMB shares on my windows machine, as soon as they add features such as being to add multiple SMB Shares, Able to boot back to the Wii Menu (So i can make a Channel Loader), Better performance i'll happily use the Wii as a full time media centre.

BTW MPlayer CE supports USB Hard Drives as well. Played a 700MB movie off it and it played flawlessly.