Using Electric Guitar?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Lockon Stratos, Jan 4, 2009.

Jan 4, 2009
  1. Lockon Stratos
    OP

Member Lockon Stratos GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi yeah I just got a electric guitar yesterday and I was just thinking how long wold it take to get used to strumming from 1 fret to another distant one faster than N00Bish? I'm just frustrated A bit, I am kinda pleased though seeing as I learnt 2 new songs in 2 Days and already knew a riff from before. [​IMG]

2. sean0007

Newcomer sean0007 Advanced Member

Canada
    If you practice the same song for like 20 mins per day, you should be pretty decent in 2 to 3 weeks. Once you get over the one full song hurdle it gets way easier from there. Don't .... I repeat Don't .... just learn your favourite part of the song, you'll have no rhythm and it will make it harder in the long run. Also, create chunks of the song to practice each day at the start, then put them together as you get better. This will allow you to practice more if there is a part you get stuck on.

3. Lockon Stratos
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cool thanks I've learnt the intro to MGS and Price of Freedom - Crisis Core riff on the guitar and I'm just a bit slow at jumping from one note to another.. :S

Anyways thanks! [​IMG]

4. Phynx

Newcomer Phynx Advanced Member

United States
    Best of luck man, I have one that just collects dust since I don't have the dedication. Whenever I'm not out, studying I'm usually either drawing or playing video games. Honestly though, it really shouldn't be that hard for me to set aside all of 20 minutes.

5. Lockon Stratos
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah I'd have to otherwise my mum would just sell it off. [​IMG]

6. unr

Member unr GBAtemp Regular

Lithuania
    Keep practicing and you'll get better eventually. Try making up your own exercises, like 1-3-5 on 1st string, then 1-3-5 on 2nd, etc. Eventually your muscles will learn the movements and you'll be able to switch between different frets and chords without even thinking.

7. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I'm not too terrible, not great either. This is me...

My tip: Play till you can't anymore. Then rest, then play some more! This only works if you 100% enjoy playing. =P