Hacking Using custom launcher.dat with Gateway Go

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those wishing to develop their own custom launcher.dats (based on smea's regionthree or whatever), I made a site which lets you launch unencrypted unlaunch.dats instead. Before anyone asks:
  • No, this doens't let you launch older launcher.dats
  • No, this doesn't let you launch launcher.dats for GW on 9.4
  • No, this will not make you a pizza and materialize it from your 3DS
  • This is a development tool (or maybe a potential launch site for those who dislike Gateway and want easier launching)
That aside, you can launch your unlaunch.dats over at go.plxhack.us. It should work just fine, I just tested it with an unencrypted version of smea's regionthree and it worked perfectly with Cubic Ninja on 4.2.

EDIT:
  • No, this doesn't let you launch CFW launcher.dats, those are old launcher.dats. Use your brain.
  • No, this doesn't let you launch homebrew, although it technically could in the future if someone did it, idk
Also, if anyone wants to try regionthree through this, download the unlaunch.dat from here.
You may have just cut my work in half. Thank you, SQ23.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK there is no much space to do it, i dunno what is the size of .text of RO, but probably is not big and the .text of browser if i am not mistaken ² it's not in the GSP/LINEAR heap :/ (and you can't mapper other regions with RWX permission without other flaw).
Smea has confirmed that spider .text is out of range, but there is a way to get ahold of code execution. It's through stage three and four of his exploit from his write-up. Basically, spider hack » RO hack » complete code execution.

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the video, its interesting because and I cant replicate the same thing on my 3ds, after the ROP (even if I use the gw ROP) it crashes back to home menu. Falo was working on the ram dumping now me, I was trying to write some text to a file but it didn't worked and accidentally deleted my code, and now I am too lazy to try to rewrite it.

Yup, and launching ninjahax like homebrews.

Well, here's what I'm doing.

1. Extracting from 1A000-1BB8F(maybe inaccurate, not entirely sure right now, also only for 7.x to 9.4) in the GW launcher.

2. Combining a bin file with the data above, and a payload.bin from a Homebrew into another bin file, using a hex editor and placing the data above on top, and the payload.bin on the bottom(the bytes of the two :ha:)

3. Going to 1A000 in the GW launcher, and pasting WITH OVERWRITE(important, without this it will just crash back to home menu!), then copying this new Launcher.dat to the sd card, and loading go.gateway.com .

Does anyone see any faults in this process?

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it should be very well noted that hijacking Download Play via spider/SKATER is possible, as Smea did this in his Regionthree release.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spider/SKATER has limited RAM privileges, friend. It'd be better to grab onto an application like Mii Plaza or Download Play from the browser applet. Smea was actually the one to tell me this.

My theory is to stuff a .CIA inside of Download Play's cache as it should stay there until reintroduced with another .CIA. This, sadly, has a few guards to bypass. I've been working on this, too.

wtf...........

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well, here's what I'm doing.

1. Extracting from 1A000-1BB8F(maybe inaccurate, not entirely sure right now, also only for 7.x to 9.4) in the GW launcher.

2. Combining a bin file with the data above, and a payload.bin from a Homebrew into another bin file, using a hex editor and placing the data above on top, and the payload.bin on the bottom(the bytes of the two :ha:)

3. Going to 1A000 in the GW launcher, and pasting WITH OVERWRITE(important, without this it will just crash back to home menu!), then copying this new Launcher.dat to the sd card, and loading go.gateway.com .

Does anyone see any faults in this process?

I am not an expert in asm, but asm code has no main function/entrypoint ? and I am not sure if the ROP code directly launches whats after the 1BB8F, I think that you can do it like that... but like I said I don't know a lot about asm.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wtf...........

I had assumed, from your post, that you were intending to use the browser in some way, and I was just warning you that spider/SKATER (The browser applet) is very limited. This all, of course, is only implied if you meant to use the browser as a 'base.'

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I had assumed, from your post, that you were intending to use the browser in some way, and I was just warning you that spider/SKATER (The browser applet) is very limited. This all, of course, is only implied if you meant to use the browser as a 'base.'

I am curious about something, the gw file is around 4mb but the space where the rop is a lot more limited... so how can they load the extra ~3mb ?

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I am not an expert in asm, but asm code has no main function/entrypoint ? and I am not sure if the ROP code directly launches whats after the 1BB8F, I think that you can do it like that... but like I said I don't know a lot about asm.

Well... .global _start ?

Anyway, why no write a new ROP-Chain in browser to load a file without obfuscation, get the File(16kb) of Launcher.dat(and remove the obfuscation), go to "0x1B90", and write a new code in this ? (build a .bin in ARM11 and copy in 0x1B90 + ).

Ah! a little hint, if you wanna use GSPGPU Services you will need the gspGPuHandle, and this in 4.x version's is on "0x003B643C", you can write something like:

Code:
getGspGpuHandle:
LDR r0, =0x003B643C
BX LR

:P

"I am curious about something, the gw file is around 4mb but the space where the rop is a lot more limited... so how can they load the extra ~3mb ?"

It won't load complete file, the rest of file is the other arm9 payloads(very little) and the firmware patched.

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well... .global _start ?

Anyway, why no write a new ROP-Chain in browser to load a file without obfuscation, get the File(16kb) of Launcher.dat(and remove the obfuscation), go to "0x1B90", and write a new code in this ? (build a .bin in ARM11 and copy in 0x1B90 + ).

Ah! a little hint, if you wanna use GSPGPU Services you will need the gspGPuHandle, and this in 4.x version's is on "0x003B643C", you can write something like:

Code:
getGspGpuHandle:
LDR r0, =0x003B643C
BX LR

I already have the custom ropchain with no obsfucation (shiny posted his version some pages ago) and the 16kb payload from the launcher.dat also decoded, but I don't know a lot of asm so I have no idea what to really do.

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I already have the custom ropchain with no obsfucation (shiny posted his version some pages ago) and the 16kb payload from the launcher.dat also decoded, but I don't know a lot of asm so I have no idea what to really do.[/quote

not need assembly to all, you can build the file using C.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am curious about something, the gw file is around 4mb but the space where the rop is a lot more limited... so how can they load the extra ~3mb ?

That is a very good question, but I can not give you an answer, sadly. The Gateway team has split their stage one code in two to hide some of it, so knowledge of how it fully works is limited. I've been talking to Smea sparingly, but he's a bit distant, so gaining new knowledge from him is like a full time job.

Reactions: mmn

6jarjar6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dusk.co.nf
XP
Country
United States
For those wishing to develop their own custom launcher.dats (based on smea's regionthree or whatever), I made a site which lets you launch unencrypted unlaunch.dats instead. Before anyone asks:
  • No, this doens't let you launch older launcher.dats
  • No, this doesn't let you launch launcher.dats for GW on 9.4
  • No, this will not make you a pizza and materialize it from your 3DS
  • This is a development tool (or maybe a potential launch site for those who dislike Gateway and want easier launching)
That aside, you can launch your unlaunch.dats over at go.plxhack.us. It should work just fine, I just tested it with an unencrypted version of smea's regionthree and it worked perfectly with Cubic Ninja on 4.2.

EDIT:
  • No, this doesn't let you launch CFW launcher.dats, those are old launcher.dats. Use your brain.
  • No, this doesn't let you launch homebrew, although it technically could in the future if someone did it, idk
Also, if anyone wants to try regionthree through this, download the unlaunch.dat from here.
Could I have the source?

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Btw, i looked at it really fast in these two days, they have really much stages in this exploit.
I focused on arm9 becouse it does all the fancy things, but the exploit itself isn't protected in any way. I mean, to exexute simple arm9 code you just have to overwrite their payload. The hash checks are done in later stages.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you confirm if this does work with games from our region? I just tried it with one, and it did not seem to work. I don't have any games from different regions, but it'd be nice to see it in action.

Don't have any out of region games unfortunately. I just pushed a few fixes though which caused it to crash earlier, so maybe redownload the unlaunch.dat?

4 Questions
1. Does it say Moo cause I am on my PC? nvm I just cheched the php file
2. What's inside the gateway.dg file?
3. Could we use that for something other than a downgrade?
4. How about editing the file and putting in CFW or devmenu?
  1. Moo.
  2. I don't know, never checked, probably never will
  3. I don't know, never checked, probably never will
  4. I don't know, never tried, never will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Good morning!