• Replies 29,351
  • Likes 47

Brokenmouser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason why USB Loader GX only initializes my flash drives when they are in wfbs format? I've tried fat32 format a million different ways and it wont see any drive I try with the exception of a crappy 2gb dollar store drive. I format and copy using wii backup manager 78 and have even tried using that wfbs to fat conversion tool.

The strangest thing is that while usb loader gx doesnt initialize the drives in fat32, I have no problem with wii flow...so I'm not sure if it's a setting or what.
Any help is appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Is there any reason why USB Loader GX only initializes my flash drives when they are in wfbs format?

Yes,there is a Reason.
Flash Drives are known to be not so compatible/reliable/recommended for the USBLoader GX (you can maybe try an older Built than Version 1268).
The WBFS Format is a "Compromise Solution" but expect maybe possible Problems,result in maybe corruption of your Flash Drive in the worst Case.

Thank you.:)

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've discovered a bug with banner caching with the enhanced USB Loader GX? Once I have about 100 banners cached, starting a new game fails with a black screen because it can't create a new banner. Games that have an existing banner cached, start fine. Manually deleting some bnr files, to reduce the number below 100, fixes the problem. But it's a temporary fix of course.

In the meantime I've disabled banner caching in the settings. Is it worth me using a windows program to extract the banners from all my games and put them all in the banner cache folder? How much time would having banners all ready cached actually save at game startup? Thanks.

Last edited by fandango,

Brokenmouser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes,there is a Reason.
Flash Drives are known to be not so compatible/reliable/recommended for the USBLoader GX (you can maybe try an older Built than Version 1268).
The WBFS Format is a "Compromise Solution" but expect maybe possible Problems,result in maybe corruption of your Flash Drive in the worst Case.

Thanks. I understand the issues using flash drives on the wii u with regards to low power and their risk of long term failure. I had no idea that they are purposely made incompatible (in general) with loader gx. I never had an issue using them as wbfs format. I tried to combine my gamecube and wii collection on one drive (instead of keeping my gamecube games on SD as I have been) and was having lots of difficulties with usb loader gx. I ruled out the drives being faulty because they were quality drives and worked flawlessly in fat32 in wiiflow and with other homebrew apps. No other thread I saw anywhere said that flash drives shouldn't work unless they are wfbs.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Thanks. I understand the issues using flash drives on the wii u with regards to low power and their risk of long term failure. I had no idea that they are purposely made incompatible (in general) with loader gx. I never had an issue using them as wbfs format. I tried to combine my gamecube and wii collection on one drive (instead of keeping my gamecube games on SD as I have been) and was having lots of difficulties with usb loader gx. I ruled out the drives being faulty because they were quality drives and worked flawlessly in fat32 in wiiflow and with other homebrew apps. No other thread I saw anywhere said that flash drives shouldn't work unless they are wfbs.

It is a 50/50 Chance that a Flashdrive is working (depends on the Chip/Controller on it) properly with the Wii/vWii and USBLoader GX.
Also it is no Warranty that the same Flashdrive buyed in different Years (for Example one in 2011,one in 2020) are working correctly.(Different Chips/Controller/Brands..)

Yes,it is true,@fledge68 ´s WiiFlow Mod and Configurable USBLoader Mod works compatibler with Flash Drives.
The remaining Main Developer (Cyan) from the USBLoader GX decided to make some "Changes" in Build 1271/1272 for more Compatibility for HDD´s.So,many Flash Drives and that Kind are not really working great with that Builts.

Also the used cIOS for Slot 249 and the Base is a Reason why some Flash Drives are simply not working with USBLoader GX.

You can try as @XFlak already suggested @blackb0x Mod -> https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1316#post-8856063 please.

Also you can try and change the Loader´s IOS in the USBLoader GX Settings from 58 to 249 or vice versa please.

And as said,you can try an older Build (v1268 or less) from the USBLoader GX please.

Using WBFS Format for Flashdrives/HDD is ok,but not really recommended today,FAT32 is the "Standard".:D

Good Luck

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

what change(s) did affect flash drive/hdd compatibility ?

https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/code/1272/
https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/code/1271/
https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/code/1270/

they all seem unrelated to flash drives/hdd's

You can try every Build and hope it works.
Also you can try and change in the Loader´s IOS Settings from the USBLoader GX Settings.
58 or 249

By the Way,it has nothing to do with "unrelated".
The remaining but also retired Main Developer @Cyan stated it clearly several Times - NO Flash Drives/Thumb Drives/Pen Drives/USB Sticks for the USBLoader GX if you do not want to have "Issues".:)
(The main Issue is not really the Recognizing but when it comes to Write Cycles,the Flash Drive (and Company) Devices can suddenly stop to work without Warning...).

@blackb0x on the other Side did the "further" Developing on his own Hand.
His Build(s) are great and work flawless.You maybe better change to his Build(s).:)

Good Luck

Reactions: jeannotte

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont have any issues with various flash drives/micro sd card in usb adapter.

just curios which change between 1271 and 1272 affected flash drive compatibility

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've discovered a bug with banner caching with the enhanced USB Loader GX? Once I have about 100 banners cached, starting a new game fails with a black screen because it can't create a new banner. Games that have an existing banner cached, start fine. Manually deleting some bnr files, to reduce the number below 100, fixes the problem. But it's a temporary fix of course.

In the meantime I've disabled banner caching in the settings. Is it worth me using a windows program to extract the banners from all my games and put them all in the banner cache folder? How much time would having banners all ready cached actually save at game startup? Thanks.
Could you please confirm if the same issue happens with Cyans version of the loader too? I expect it to since I haven't changed any of the banner caching code.

just curios which change between 1271 and 1272 affected flash drive compatibility
IOS settings.

If you try my version then you should delete your GXGlobal.cfg file so that the loader starts with fresh settings.

Last edited by blackb0x,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's time for a new release :)
  • Fixed boot issues for some people
  • Fixed an issue that would cause some homebrew to fail to return to the loader
  • Fixed an issue that prevented WiiWare and VC games from being patched correctly
  • Fixed an issue that would cause the date and time to be wrong for some people
  • Fixed an issue that would cause some Wiimotes to connect as player 2 instead of player 1
  • Added deflicker filter options (the safe option is recommended)
  • Added Portuguese and Russian synopsis support
  • Added an option to reset all game settings
  • Restored the option to update Nintendont from the features screen
  • Corrected analog stick ranges and made the cursor speed much more consistent
  • Corrected some translations (update your languages)
  • Improved how banners are displayed on Korean Wii systems
  • The loaders homebrew browser will now only search for boot.dol and boot.elf files
  • The custom server option will now only be displayed when necessary
  • The cheats URL can now be edited via the config file
  • Updated the build tools and some libraries
  • Miscellaneous corrections and improvements
Download: https://gbatemp.net/posts/8856063

Thanks go to @NoobletCheese and @MaeseJesus for their in-depth deflicker filter analysis. Without them some of the filter options wouldn't be available in this release.

If you want to make your games look better by disabling the deflicker filter then I'd suggest using the "OFF (Safe)" option, since that should work for most games without introducing any visual issues.

If the safe option doesn't work then you can try using the extended option, but the extended option will break fade in/out effects and brightness effects in some games.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Incredible update, blackb0x! Lots of improvements, and I thought I would be most excited for the filter, but I did not expect to see Wiiware and VC being patched correctly! I need to toy with it. I imagine that involves forcing video modes and such?

Thank you for all the work, and now get some deserved rest.

Edit: By the way, I wanted to warn:

If you are not playing your Wii through Progressive Scan (480p), please refrain from removing the filter.

On interlaced resolutions, the screen only refreshes one half of the lines at a time, and without the filter, you will find the picture will look "jumpy", or with the correct word, it will flicker up and down constantly.

While the picture will look sharper, that flicker will make your eyes hurt if you look for a long period of time.

Thus, only use this option with Progressive Scan on. On progressive resolutions, the entire screen refreshes at the same time, eliminating the flicker, and thus making the filter both useless and annoying.

Last edited by Maeson,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine that involves forcing video modes and such?
Exactly. For years the loaders been trying to patch WiiWare and VC games incorrectly, so everything from forced video modes to Wiimmfi didn't work.

If you are not playing your Wii through Progressive Scan (480p), please refrain from removing the filter
Originally I was going to hide the option if you're not using 480p, but in the end I didn't bother since the default setting is auto (behave as normal) and I imagine that most of us are using component cables or HDMI adapters anyway.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Exactly. For years the loaders been trying to patch WiiWare and VC games incorrectly, so everything from forced video modes to Wiimmfi didn't work.

Oh wow, that's something I wanted for very long! This will male emunand and playing downloadable titles from other regions much easier! I need to make some time and try things that didn't work before.

Again, thanks for all your work!

About the other stuff, yeah, no need to hide it, just wanted to prevent people from something potentionally harmful.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
the default setting is auto (behave as normal)

Oh so that was what the "auto" behavior did : set off deflicker only on progressive source!

Funny enough, the only game that gave me issue when I tried the setting this morning was Kirby's Return to Dreamland ("OFF" gave me a black screen, when "auto" gave me a crisp picture).

Just for people to know, I own both "Twilight Princess" PAL and NTSC version, and can confirm they look identical now with the deflicker filter off! That's a huge improvement, and good news for PAL users!

(Tried my best to take pictures from the same angle, hope it can give you an idea.)

cPX3Dfc.jpg

Reactions: blackb0x and Maeson

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kirby's Return to Dreamland ("OFF" gave me a black screen, when "auto" gave me a crisp picture).
That's one of the games that uses MetaFortress, so most of them can't be patched.

You can make Kirby's Return to Dreamland work by placing the attached file on the root of your SD card.

Attachments

• gameconfig.txt
    114.1 KB · Views: 248

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: