Hacking USB Loader GX (vWii) stopped working

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
The loader always reloaded IOS58 before launching Nintendont if you used cIOS, so if you use IOS58 now it should be even faster as it doesn't need to reload it before launching nintendont.
So, the only difference I can see if that drive is slower.
I think it's slow while inside nintendont, not to exit USBLoaderGX, which prove maybe that the drive need more time to init or mount its partition.

maybe the freeze issue is only a too small wait time at boot.
Maybe. the good part is that the damn thing does work (delays or not). But I honestly think someone should edit the compatibility wiki. Cause the guy who made the entry said (paraphrasing) " it works flawlessly, the best option for the loader. Not even a single hickup". And that is not the case. Maybe the guy works with WD :rofl2:

EinMagier

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
same problem for my config. i tested ios58 but without sucess. i can bypass the freeze by disconnecting the hdd and reconnect shortly before starting the usbloadergx.

edit:
- tested to disable hidden wiiu usb-sleep cycle option -> no sucess -> freeze while usb init
- tested new forwarder with usb-fix -> no sucess -> freeze while usb init
- tested to start usbloadergx by homebrew channel -> no sucess -> freeze while usb init

Last edited by EinMagier,

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I was having the same issue. I recently modded my Wii U's vWii and sometimes the external, powered 3.5 USB hard drive would mount and other times it wouldn't. Usually, USB Loader would freeze when initializing USB.

This was the guide I followed:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

Switching to IOS58 did resolve that problem, but now the drive doesn't seem to mount at all when USB loader starts. I have to go into settings each time for the drive to be initialize. I can hear the HDD spin up at that point, so it must be some sort of low-power mode thing. This seems to work, but its a bit annoying and confusing. My nephews play on this sometimes and they'd never be able to figure this out.

Any suggestions on how to get this to just work?

Thanks

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Cyan, thanks! I appreciate the effort!

I actually have another external drive that I cloned. I'm going to try that out today to see if there is any improvement or not.

Thanks again

--- UPDATE ---

OK, I tried out the other USB, powered 3.5 external HDD. It booted OK with cIOS249.

However, while USB Loader GX can see the FAT32 partition, it doesn't load any of the GC games. I wonder though if I set something up wrong, because the Wii partition works just fine. This was the drive that I cloned and its possible I didn't set up the FAT32 partition the correct way - so I'm going to look into that.

The other external drive that I had issues with was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAA4J6G

I suspect that its just not good power-wise. I'm going to test it out some more with my original Wii on my CRT setup to see if it works OK - and since the Wii seems to do better with low power devices. If it doesn't perform I'll just return it and get another. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. :)

I'll report back regarding the FAT32 partition.

Thanks!

Last edited by DarthMingus,

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another update:

There doesn't seem to be an issue with my FAT32 partition. Both Nintendont and CFG USB Loader can "see" it and load games. There seems to be some sort of issue with USB Loader GX. And yes, I have multiple partitions turned on. :)

So, I guess its good and bad news. If anyone has any suggestions for getting USB Loader GX to work, please let me know. I'm not as fond of WiiFlow (which doesn't seem to work for me at all off the bat) or CFG USB Loader.

Thanks again

Sithel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarthMingus, maybe I missed it but is there a reason your using a Wii partition? I'm using a FAT32 partition for both Wii and GameCube games and it works fine with USB Loader GX.

I used this quick guide to setup my drive, I can't remember where I found it because it's not mine, but it worked.
For Nintendo Wii Games
1. Format the HDD to Fat32 using easeus partition manager.
2. Download Wii Backup Manager.
3. Add and transfer the games via Wii Backup Manager. A folder will be created inside the HDD with all the Wii games.
For Gamecube Games
4. Create a new folder inside the HDD and call it "games".
5. Inside the games folder add another folder for the game, for instance G:/games/Zelda.
6.Rename the iso file of the game to "game".
7.Put it inside the games folder. Example G:/games/Zelda/game.iso
8. Download Nintendont and install it in your Nintendo Wii.
9. Open USB loader GX and play the games.
10. Done!

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, Sithel,

I used WBFS Manager 3.0 to setup my Wii partition years ago. I did see that since then you could use Wii Backup Manager and a FAT32 partition. However, I've also read that sometimes the FAT32 partition corrupt and then you lose all of your Wii games. The benefit of WBFS is that each game is on its own partition and (I think) it makes it safer that way.

Also, I did try looking for Wii Backup Manager, but only found dead links - or spam/adware links.

Best Regards

Sithel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea. I'm not to sure on how long my setup will last on a FAT32 partition. But no problems so far. I do think you can transfer your WBFS partition or to FAT32 via some tools, but I thought from everything I've read that a WBFS partition is old school and unreliable compared to FAT32. You could also try this link, it has more info on Wii Backup Manager: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-backup-manager-for-windows.188295/

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I just bought a WD external HDD to debug this issue.
No promise, but I'll take a look.
I just hope the drive I bought have that bug !
Hey! That's some good news!
Which drive did you get? If you bought mine you can rest assured it'll have the "bug"... Though I'm not sure if it's indeed a bug.
To make sure it "works" (or doesn't in this case as we're trying to get it to NOT mount) just use a new installation of USBLOADER GX.
When you can get it to mount and work without changing ANYTHING in settings you've fixed the issue.
The reason I'm saying that is because once you change the default IOS the loader uses to mount the drive it stays that way even if you change it back. (unless you delete the IOS *clear* and re-enter it manually)
Anyway, if you have the same drive I have and need any help with anything let me know @Cyan

PS: OFF TOPIC, I was wondering which covers to get to get them to display when I select game info (button 2, I believe).
I don't want to download the whole package (front, back, disc, etc) since I use channel view, but I'd like to have the proper covers whenever I want to read the description or whatever.
I'm guessing all I need are the "full covers"? Cause that's what is being used when you "rotate" them? Anything else? Or maybe I'm wrong...
Thanks again.

Last edited by sideskroll,

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea. I'm not to sure on how long my setup will last on a FAT32 partition. But no problems so far. I do think you can transfer your WBFS partition or to FAT32 via some tools, but I thought from everything I've read that a WBFS partition is old school and unreliable compared to FAT32. You could also try this link, it has more info on Wii Backup Manager: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-backup-manager-for-windows.188295/

OK, I'll give it a try I suppose. I did manage to get CFG USB Loader working really well, so I'm going to stick with that for the time being.

Sideskroll, I have a feeling it is your enclosure or chipset. When I switched to another external USB HDD (also 3.5" and powered and USB 3) the issues I had with the drive initializing disappeared. You may want to look at getting a better "shell" and just moving the HDD over to it. It could fix your issue.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
OK, I'll give it a try I suppose. I did manage to get CFG USB Loader working really well, so I'm going to stick with that for the time being.

Sideskroll, I have a feeling it is your enclosure or chipset. When I switched to another external USB HDD (also 3.5" and powered and USB 3) the issues I had with the drive initializing disappeared. You may want to look at getting a better "shell" and just moving the HDD over to it. It could fix your issue.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.
Of course its the enclosure. That's the whole point of @Cyan getting the same HDD. It's a factory made WD drive. Which I got based on the fact that the compatibility list had it as "100% working"
I'm sure if I were to crack it open, and move the drive by itself to a different (generic like I had) enclosure it would 100% work.
But that would miss the point of "fixing the issue" (or trying to at least) wouldn't it?
Point is, WD externals appear to have an issue with mounting. And we're trying to find out how to fix it or if it's even possible to do so.

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was a WD! Mine was a somewhat cheap drive off Amazon. A big company like WD doesn't have any such excuse!

Perhaps this is the shape of things to come? Which would make getting to the bottom of the issue essential!

Reactions: sideskroll

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And yes, I have multiple partitions turned on.
That option is irrelevant with the compatibility. It's not used to "enable" the other partition, it's used to display all games from all partition at the same time.

However, I've also read that sometimes the FAT32 partition corrupt and then you lose all of your Wii games.
That's the contrary !!!
WBFS partition is the one with issue, EVEN MORE if you use WBFS Manager!
WBFS Manager has a bug which corrupts games already present on your partition when adding new games (only the last added game is assured to work correctly)

The benefit of WBFS is that each game is on its own partition and (I think) it makes it safer that way.
That's the contrary too ! ;)
WBFS partition can contain 512 games. adding a game corrupts the already present games because the "used block table" function has a bug and used blocks are marked as free.
FAT32 with wbfs files is better as each wbfs file is a single partition image containing one game. There's no risk of a game overlapping with another one (like the wbfs manager bug).

I did try looking for Wii Backup Manager, but only found dead links - or spam/adware links.
Direct link :
http://filetrip.net/wii-downloads/other-files/download-wii-backup-manager-0-4-5-build-78-f26812.html
Select "manual download" button to download the zip, not the automatic download or the advertisement fake buttons on the page....

Your issue is probably that you have the WBFS partition located first in the partition table.
Gamecube loaders REQUIRE that the FAT32 partition is located FIRST.
I suggest you use wbfs2fat to convert the WBFS partition to FAT32 (you will not lose your games, but the already corrupted ones due to wbfs manager use will stay corrupted and will still not work).
Then use WiiBackupManager to rename all the wii games automatically in the correct format (option, fat32, title [ID], auto rename on mount, etc.)
then, place the gamecube games on the first partition of the drive.

Yeah, another quote of the same issue :P
Which revision of USBLoaderGX are you using?
The loader should detect the partition layout on your drive and warn you that they are not in the correct order.
if it doesn't warn you, either you have an old version (not 1260!) either your drives are good (not sure), either the loader has a bug (I would like more information from you to fix the detection)

I'm guessing all I need are the "full covers"?
Yes

I bought the same drive, you gave me an amazon link.
WD 1TB usb3.0, I bought a usb3 Y-cable too.
did you format the drive to fat32, or did you keep it as NTFS ?
did you create partitions?
did you clean/clear/deleted any partition table? did you use gpt or mbr?

I'll test on Wii first, as I never installed cIOS on vWii (yet).

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I bought the same drive, you gave me an amazon link.
WD 1TB usb3.0, I bought a usb3 Y-cable too.
did you format the drive to fat32, or did you keep it as NTFS ?
did you create partitions?
did you clean/clear/deleted any partition table? did you use gpt or mbr?

I'll test on Wii first, as I never installed cIOS on vWii (yet).
Whenever I get a new drive (internal or external) I like to run diskpart /clear all on it to help me detect stillborns or drives that might fail soon by zeroing it out.
That's OBVIOUSLY not needed and you don't have to do it (unless you want to stress test the disk before filling it) but you can run diskpart /clean to delete the partition table and start afresh.

Formatted as one big, single fat32 partition with 32KB cluster size. Using Fat32 formatter GUI. (THIS ONE , to be more precise and on the same page) but it shouldn't matter since I tried formatting it on linux and got the same results. You could try though...

So, TL;DR:
- fat32
- No
- Diskpart /clean all and used MBR afterwards.
- Wii should work flawlessly.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

EinMagier

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
did you format the drive to fat32, or did you keep it as NTFS ? -> WBFS-Partition
did you create partitions? -> Format in WBFS-Format (only one partition)
did you clean/clear/deleted any partition table? did you use gpt or mbr? no / i think mbr :-)

i'm using the hard disk in vwii-mode / used usb-stealth to stop the "please format new disk"-message in wiiu-mode

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WBFS Manager has a bug which corrupts games already present on your partition when adding new games (only the last added game is assured to work correctly)

Really? No one has fixed it? I added the last batch of games at once, but this is a concern of course.

FAT32 with wbfs files is better as each wbfs file is a single partition image containing one game. There's no risk of a game overlapping with another one (like the wbfs manager bug).

Good to know!

Select "manual download" button to download the zip, not the automatic download or the advertisement fake buttons on the page....

Thanks, I managed to get it. I always leery of software delivered from sites like that....

Your issue is probably that you have the WBFS partition located first in the partition table.
Gamecube loaders REQUIRE that the FAT32 partition is located FIRST.

I thought that may be the issue. The HDD that is more "low power" has the FAT32 in the first partition and WBFS in the second. The "high power" HDD is reversed.

I suggest you use wbfs2fat to convert the WBFS partition to FAT32 (you will not lose your games, but the already corrupted ones due to wbfs manager use will stay corrupted and will still not work).

I may just reformat the drives and have a single FAT32 partition. I have both my GC and Wii selections backed up, so its not an issue to rebuild the drive(s) properly if that's what would be best.

Quick question: Should the Wii games follow the same folder/file naming convention? i.e. Game Name Folder\game.iso

Which revision of USBLoaderGX are you using?

I believe it was 3.0. I actually like CFG USB Loader. Its not bad!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Sithel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarthMingus
When I use Wii Backup Manager I keep all the settings to default. All you do is on the Tab Drive 1, choose the "Inactive" drop down and select the drive you are Transferring your wii games to. Then go to the "Files" tab, click add and browse to the folder or file(s) you keep your Wii games. Check box the games you are transferring or select all. Then click Transfer -> Drive 1. The program will do the rest. It will create the wbfs folder and add each game with the appropriate folder. It does Title [GameID] by default.

Also, I think Cyan is curious of the revision # of USB Loader GX your using. r1260 being the latest I believe.
You can check out here for those versions.
https://gbatemp.net/entry/usbloadergx-changelog.10502/

Or directly linked here:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2x95zd9rz3rc/USBLoaderGX#6a48l4qn0aa1h

Hope that helps.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the revision is located in the Settings > credit > top text.
Of now directly on the loading screen.
if it's 3.0 r1180, it's very old.
But it should be more recent, or else it would tell you the usb is not compatible for GC games. but maybe not the latest release either as it didn't detect the wrong partition setup.

Quick question: Should the Wii games follow the same folder/file naming convention? i.e. Game Name Folder\game.iso
Wii games are located in the /wbfs/ folder
there are multiple possible filename convention, but the "default" is :
wbfs\folder with title name [titleID6]\TitleID6.wbfs

all compatible layouts :
wbfs\TitleID.wbfs
wbfs\TitleID\TitleID.wbfs
wbfs\TitleID_gamename\TitleID.wbfs
wbfs\gamename [titleID]\TitleID.wbfs <-- default used by the loader when dumping a disc. Allows easy management of the content on computer sorted alphabetically by game's titles.

did you format the drive to fat32, or did you keep it as NTFS ? -> WBFS-Partition
Thanks, so it's not related to the partition format, as both FAT32 and WBFS have the issue.
I won't format as wbfs, but will try NTFS or FAT32 instead.

I'll post here again when I start working on that issue and give my progress.

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'm working with Wii Backup Manager now. I set my HDD for FAT32 – I assume thats the best format?

Also, what is this Sneek format?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1