Hacking USB LOADER 1.0 by waninkoko

Trigger_Happy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, I dunno if this was asked, and I apologize beforehand, but when I try formatting the menu shows four partitions and each of them cannot be formatted. Did I screw up somewhere along my adventure of formatting USB drives?

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trigger_Happy said:
Umm, I dunno if this was asked, and I apologize beforehand, but when I try formatting the menu shows four partitions and each of them cannot be formatted. Did I screw up somewhere along my adventure of formatting USB drives?
Must have. It did that same thing to me at first because I didn't format my 2nd partition. After that, I created a partition my WD My Book 750GB HDD that was 125GB and formatted it to NTFS. Works great now.

morrissey2k7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the backups I've thrown at the USB Loader have installed fine on my HDD (I have a Western Digital 500GB)! This is so awesome!

Unfortunately, the Wii resets itself every time I try to choose an episode in Sam & Max: Season 1.
cry.gif
I'm not sure if this is because I patched the ISO to IOS249 before burning or what, but it's annoying.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested metroid wii-make japanese patched to use ios249....... installs fine and does the error on loading a stage like it would on backuploader before the 249patch..........strange indeed.

Gunna try burning it again using it's original ios and see what happens

Trigger_Happy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summersett said:
Trigger_Happy said:
Must have. It did that same thing to me at first because I didn't format my 2nd partition. After that, I created a partition my WD My Book 750GB HDD that was 125GB and formatted it to NTFS. Works great now.

Yep, I messed up. Now it says I have 3.94GB of free space. Yes, yes, I know, I read what Waninoko said. I just think it's funny is all.

Thanks guys for... existing?
wacko.gif

Installing a DVD5 Modified Brawl ISO (it shouldn't be that much different than a normal DVD5 Brawl but let's not jump the gun).

Current time, 12:31.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fotd said:
feidhlim1986 said:
Anyone know how to prepare a USB HDD on Mac OS X, so the Loader will format the disk.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 250 gig Lacie drive and can't get the program to recognize it. Help, please!

Easy:

1. Plug in drive you want to use. All data will be lost.
smile.gif

2. Run Disk Utility. It is in /Applications/Utilities...or just type Disk into spotlight and hit Enter
3. Select the *drive* from the list on the left...not the *volume*
4. Click "Partition" tab
5. Change Volume Scheme from "Current" to "1 Partition"
6. Click "Options" Button, and set to "Master Boot Record" partition type
7. For Volume Information/Format, set to "Free Space"

Then click Apply. The Finder will piss and moan about the drive format being unrecognized...click ignore.

You can now plug this drive/device into your Wii and participate.

I'm working on porting wbfs tool to mac os x but it is proving to be a PITA due to the way disk access differs from linux/ioctl differences.

Hope this helps!

+d10

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want use the app mentioned a few pages back (EASEUS Partition Master 3.5 home or Unlimited Edition) you can modify your partition (if you have space left of course) to shrink the current partition and add another partition. Your going to want to set to it unformated,no drive letter, primary.

edit: Everything should work fine as long as you remember to leave one usb device (your usb hdd) pluged into the wii when you use the usb loader. Also of course reformat the drive on the new partition using the loader. (make sure you select the new partition!) I dumped one game so far and it works great! I'am going to try dumping brawl next to see if online works.... via wifi.

fotd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkten said:
fotd said:
feidhlim1986 said:
Anyone know how to prepare a USB HDD on Mac OS X, so the Loader will format the disk.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 250 gig Lacie drive and can't get the program to recognize it. Help, please!

Easy:

1. Plug in drive you want to use. All data will be lost.
smile.gif

2. Run Disk Utility. It is in /Applications/Utilities...or just type Disk into spotlight and hit Enter
3. Select the *drive* from the list on the left...not the *volume*
4. Click "Partition" tab
5. Change Volume Scheme from "Current" to "1 Partition"
6. Click "Options" Button, and set to "Master Boot Record" partition type
7. For Volume Information/Format, set to "Free Space"

Then click Apply. The Finder will piss and moan about the drive format being unrecognized...click ignore.

You can now plug this drive/device into your Wii and participate.

I'm working on porting wbfs tool to mac os x but it is proving to be a PITA due to the way disk access differs from linux/ioctl differences.

Hope this helps!

+d10

Ok. Thanks for the tips, but I need to do something else I believe. The reason for my assumption is this: The USB Loader now sees the hd. However when I press A to format the partition it says that all four partitions cannot be formatted. Do you have any other suggestions or thoughts? I'm running 10.5.6 btw.

tylerdurden007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm...

device: sandisk u3 cruzer 8GB
game: wii sports (retail)
time: 7min 28sec

device: PNY 2 GB
game: wii sports (retail)
time: 1min 58sec

both played fine.

BenJeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
::sigh:: no joy. Hadn't touched the Wii in months, decided to do the 4.0 update after reading that everything was cool, as long as HBC was already there. Using a D2cKey.

Looks like I can't run the 1.2 downgrader - it simply reboots the Wii. Other cIOS packages fail with random codes. I guess I'm hosed.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fotd said:
Ok. Thanks for the tips, but I need to do something else I believe. The reason for my assumption is this: The USB Loader now sees the hd. However when I press A to format the partition it says that all four partitions cannot be formatted. Do you have any other suggestions or thoughts? I'm running 10.5.6 btw.

Might be your drive. I didn't have a problem. is it bus powered?

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
BenJeremy said:
decided to do the 4.0 update after reading that everything was cool, as long as HBC was already there.

Did you also read the Install cIOS36 rev8 before updating too??

QUOTE(FenrirWolf @ Mar 31 2009, 04:11 PM) Once again, has anyone made a channel for this? Or at least some fancy icon.png and meta.xml files?

fotd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkten said:
fotd said:

Might be your drive. I didn't have a problem. is it bus powered?

it has it's own power supply. Thanks tho.

BenJeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BBking83 said:
BenJeremy said:
decided to do the 4.0 update after reading that everything was cool, as long as HBC was already there.

Did you also read the Install cIOS63 rev8 before updating too??

Nope.

To be honest, I've been hacking systems for a long time (I'm actually pretty well known in the Xbox world), but never got into the Wii except for the initial setup. Tonight's been an eye opener - somebody really, really needs to make a true "Wii hacking for dummies" because while I pretty well understand cIOS updates now, there just isn't anything that lays the whole thing out in plain English. Being an Xbox hacker, I dig signatures, as well as secure boot code. I'm sure there will be a downgrader available for it eventually, as the community here seems to have a pretty good grasp of the inner workings (my day job keeps me a bit too busy to get too involved in any hacking projects now), so I'll just have to on my hands until something comes out.

I figured as long as we could run homebrew code, just about anything was "do-able" - if there was a plain English FAQ that I could have found, perhaps I'd have had a better understanding, before the upgrade, than I do now, heh. I'll just keep faith that somebody will find a chink in Nintendo's armor for 4.0 and get the cIOS stuff working once again. With the Xbox (and some of the Xbox 360 stuff), there was usually a few tricks held in reserve, and each update brought more understanding and information that lead to more exploits.
blink.gif

lozislove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yay! I got the usb loader to work for me. I'm using a usb micro adapter thingy with 2GBs on the micro sd card. I was able to install Twilight Princess on it and it runs perfectly. It took around 12 minutes but that's okay, it's probably because its a crappy card. lol. So happy about this though. It's time for me to get an external hard drive. w00t!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, https://share.temu.com/YqgVFFKi0qA lol