• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US Government to shut down in less than an hour, would be first single-party shutdown ever

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Everyone that is against Trump is a communist... PERIOD!
If you cannot stand with your potus , you do not love this country and need to leave and let Trump and the rest of us Americans MAGA!

You sound like a patriotic lunatic, your prisident just acted like a racist asshole and you are sitting here praising him and insulting others who disagree.
So if you actually got a "hitler-guy" who "put people in owens" for president, would you stand with him or leave the country?

You might hate that guy who calls himself president, but you love your hometown and everything else your country has to offer.
plus you have elections, It's not like the president will sit there for very long anyway if he acts like a racist moron.

It's not all black and white.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I do have an opinion on sanctuary cities, and why I think they're stupid and how those who enable such a thing should be punished for violating federal laws, but I'll save that for another time.

Do the believe the same for cannabis? What are your feelings about those that fight against NSLs or the use of the Section 702 FISA Bill which helps enable things like Five Eyes that circumvent regulations against domestic surveillance? I ask because I'm curious if your issue is with the lack of observing federal law, the act of fighting against it through legal means, or if it's simply that you dislike sanctuary cities.

Personally, I can understand the position of the cities: their position is to get as much taxes as possible and do the will of the residents. Being federal purview to go after illegals, it seems pretty clear that cities really shouldn't be much involved. In fact, that's rather the whole reason the federal government is upset. Of course, this whole selective enforcement doesn't really sit right with me, but it seems one of a long list of issues that are being resolved badly because the federal government isn't doing its job. :/

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Illegal is illegal, government officials seemingly never agree on anything, so yeah. Same goes with some of the members on here, like you and I. C'est la vie.

We can't just blindly follow laws that are wrong. Have you heard of the Fugitive Slave Act? It comes to my mind when I think about this situation.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s ironic though that he spoke at that anti-abortion march or whatever it was, talking about how all kids deserve a chance. Then torpedoes any effort to keep kids healthcare in the interest of ego and pride. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I see it.

You are mistaking abortion for childcare, two very different issues and it has long been the way

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, overall defense spending could be cut by around a third and they'd still have everything they need to operate in the same manner. Makes it all the more sad that we see Bernie Sanders' ideas as "unrealistic," yet Trump's wall of burning taxpayer money is perfectly reasonable.
I’m not so sure that cutting defense spending would be a great idea. We make up for a lack of manpower against other highly militarized countries with overwhelming tech and firepower. Both China and Russia have more troops to throw in battles than we do. We just go waaaaay over budget on like all of our projects. The F35 was a financial disaster. They ran with the SR71 waaay too long after it became irrelevant. They decommissioned the A10, M1 Abrams are parked at bases for months waiting for parts as are Humvees.... it’s mostly just dumb ass spending choices.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You are mistaking abortion for childcare, two very different issues and have it has long been the way

Man, I wish George was still around lol. Touché my friend, well played!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shutdowns do seem like they generate odd effects that might be better considered. I am mostly surprised it took this long to happen though, might have to have a look into the party whip and see what goes there.

On military spending I did see the following the other day which saw some questions arise.

The military enjoys a very odd position in US society compared to the UK which makes me question lots when I hear various lines, however the above provides an interesting perspective. Also while I would like to believe I am cynical enough to realise force projection and similar such things have effects beyond those places with active shooting matches I am inclined to indulge in a bit of "what if NASA and the military swapped budgets", and maybe what might be needed to just do defence (it is basically a large island in the middle of nowhere where land invasion is rather unlikely, even bombing would be hard) + NATO/UN,.

As far as one Mr Carlin then same. I don't know when we will next see his like. There have been some extremely good ones since but nothing that comes close for me.
Might as well have another as it seems more relevant than ever

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is.. Once they are out of military.. The Vets are pretty much treated like shit. We have to have charities to help take care of them. Should never need a Charity for those that were in the military and did their time. (and I'm relatively anti-military).

Also, if Trump wants to bring up religion so often. Maybe he and the rest of them should read the book. Preaching is.... really not allowed according to Jesus.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are full of yourself! Hitler put people in ovens....
You should do some research on Hitler's political career before he finally realized the Final Solution. You'll find a lot of interesting and, quite frankly familiar, stuff

Regardless of the political affiliation we're a part of, we can all agree that there are pretty damn idiotic people on both parties, and the White House is in need of a serious purge right about now. Like, as in, they being replaced by people who know what the hell they're doing and actually benefit the people of the US? Days like this I absolutely despise the government. Oh and I know it hasn't been brought up, but there are some serious issues that need to be addressed, but the government is too uncaring and stupid to even focus on that, they only care to line their pockets with gold, not the people.

Also, I do have an opinion on sanctuary cities, and why I think they're stupid and how those who enable such a thing should be punished for violating federal laws, but I'll save that for another time.

"Oh, you want to protect people who entered here illegally by suing the government for violating the rights of the same people who came here illegally, despite the fact that protecting illegals from deportation for their violating the law? Okay". Damned idiots who run those sanctuary cities, you're part of the problem. Illegal is illegal. No wonder our government is jacked up.
Illegal may be illegal, but laws that aren't just aren't worth enforcing

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should do some research on Hitler's political career before he finally realized the Final Solution. You'll find a lot of interesting and, quite frankly familiar, stuff

Not to mention I'm sure Randomizer has broken many many laws. Many he probably didn't even know about, but that doesn't mean he didn't do illegal things. After all "Ignorance is not an excuse"

Please not I'm not actually trying to insult Randomizer here... WE ALL break the law.. ALL the time.

You are mistaking abortion for childcare, two very different issues and it has long been the way

To mention the Pro-life conservatives... There is nothing in the Bible about Abortions.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know what the hell I was trying to say, is it too late to back out before I make an idiot of myself further? :blink::unsure: I wouldn't have these thoughts against illegal immigration if the process to allowing them to gain citizenship wasn't so damn convoluted.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't usually aim to make a fool of anyone, unless they really deserve it. Just take it as a learning experience :P

Well, I think it may be too late on these particular discussion. Illegal immigration is a serious issue in this country, and my opinions on it are strong, and it seems that those opinions aren't welcome on here, so I may as well just hit the bricks and be done with it. I'm sick of people like Jerry Brown, or the may or Chicago, etc acting like the victim and try to fight back by protecting people who broke the law, acting innocent, etc. What the hell is wrong with wanting the country to fix the broken immigration system and allowing a way for illegal immigrants to find a way to get legal citizenship? *sigh* But yeah, they're right, I was foolish to think I could express my thoughts on it. :unsure:

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think it may be too late on these particular discussion. Illegal immigration is a serious issue in this country, and my opinions on it are strong, and it seems that those opinions aren't welcome on here, so I may as well just hit the bricks and be done with it.
Well, why do you feel the way you do about it? I'm curious as to what your views are, because mine obviously are different

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, why do you feel the way you do about it? I'm curious as to what your views are, because mine obviously are different

Why can't the government focus on the citizens first, and then those who came here illegally second? Why should those who broke the law get more rights than legal citizens? It sure as hell seems like those who are here illegal are getting prioritized more than those who have citizenship. Am I wrong? Fix the broken immigration system, allow them to gain citizenship, don't allow them to vote in elections until they've earned a right to. *sigh* But I digress, even when I do express my opinions, those who have differing opinions will go out of their way to ridicule me for having the audacity of having a different opinion. Can't people have different view without feeling like a fool from others? Or is that not allowed?

I express my views, and I'm wrong
I try to be civil and I'm wrong

No matter what my views are, someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong while making me feel like the bad guy. What's the point if someone's just going to go out of their way to ridicule me for having a difference of opinion? It's why I'm so cynical against political discussions.

We can't just blindly follow laws that are wrong. Have you heard of the Fugitive Slave Act? It comes to my mind when I think about this situation.

Oh, so then what? Let cities do whatever the hell they want, without regards of those who are legal residents and give illegal immigrants more rights and privileges than those who are legally there? That hardly seems fair. I'm sorry, but those who are running the sanctuaries and trying to sue are just in it for the money, they don't care about the immigrants, they just care about numbers. This is precisely why I'm cynical towards politics.

People ask for an opinion and I give it, I don't care if it's wrong, but I very much care if people go out of their way to ridicule me for said opinion. So, maybe if people learned to accept differences of opinion without trying to make the other feel like shit, maybe I'd be happy to express my opinions more often, yes?

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't the government focus on the citizens first, and then those who came here illegally second? Why should those who broke the law get more rights than legal citizens? It sure as hell seems like those who are here illegal are getting prioritized more than those who have citizenship. Am I wrong? Fix the broken immigration system, allow them to gain citizenship, don't allow them to vote in elections until they've earned a right to. *sigh* But I digress, even when I do express my opinions, those who have differing opinions will go out of their way to ridicule me for having the audacity of having a different opinion. Can't people have different view without feeling like a fool from others? Or is that not allowed?

I express my views, and I'm wrong
I try to be civil and I'm wrong

No matter what my views are, someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong while making me feel like the bad guy. What's the point if someone's just going to go out of their way to ridicule me for having a difference of opinion? It's why I'm so cynical against political discussions.

Oh, so then what? Let cities do whatever the hell they want, without regards of those who are legal residents and give illegal immigrants more rights and privileges than those who are legally there? That hardly seems fair. I'm sorry, but those who are running the sanctuaries and trying to sue are just in it for the money, they don't care about the immigrants, they just care about numbers. This is precisely why I'm cynical towards politics.

I actually -somewhat- agree with you. I do agree that Citizens should be taken care of, but most of the cities you are talking about, honestly would be HURT by losing the undocumented, which would hurt -everyone-. But I also agree that citizenship should be easier to get. And if someone is willing to be in the US Military... They should get Citizenship.

Also a problem with the Deamers.. They where brought here when they where kids and had no choice in the matter. How would you like it if you where taken from everything you know and told "Tough shit.. your going here now!" As someone who actually lived that numerous times as a Military brat.... It's not -ever- a good thing.

D

Deleted User

How do people get through this? I mean, they have to use their savings to pay their bills right!? What if they can´t afford to pay for medication or Health treatment? :O

Reactions: Don Jon

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do people get through this? I mean, they have to use their savings to pay their bills right!? What if they can´t afford to pay for medication or Health treatment? :O

No difference. No one can really afford Medication or Health Treatments. Why do you think people will die from the flu instead of going to the hospital, or breaking a leg can actually cause people to lose their house.

So really.. No difference. x.x;

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually -somewhat- agree with you. I do agree that Citizens should be taken care of, but most of the cities you are talking about, honestly would be HURT by losing the undocumented, which would hurt -everyone-. But I also agree that citizenship should be easier to get. And if someone is willing to be in the US Military... They should get Citizenship.

Also a problem with the Deamers.. They where brought here when they where kids and had no choice in the matter. How would you like it if you where taken from everything you know and told "Tough shit.. your going here now!" As someone who actually lived that numerous times as a Military brat.... It's not -ever- a good thing.

The children, yes, they shouldn't have to suffer, but their parents, they should've thought this through and whatever happens falls on the heads of their parents. Immigration is broken, but can we please stop acting like they have higher priority or are somehow more important than other people? That'd be a good start. The children are victims, but their parents sure as hell aren't.

People really can't afford decent health thanks to a broken healthcare system that tried to fix everything when it made it worse.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The children, yes, they shouldn't have to suffer, but their parents, they should've thought this through and whatever happens falls on the heads of their parents. Immigration is broken, but can we please stop acting like they have higher priority or are somehow more important than other people? That'd be a good start. The children are victims, but their parents sure as hell aren't.

People really can't afford decent health thanks to a broken healthcare system that tried to fix everything when it made it worse.

But who is actually saying they have higher priority? Right now they are being abused and US rights *not citizen rights.. but rights granted for JUST being in the US* violated. Do they deserve life saving treatments to be ignored? The truth is.. The people in charge of the House and Senate right now.. Don't want US to have any power. Not that the illegals are getting better treatment. They don't want -anyone- who is not a white christian straight male.. To have -any- power at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare