US Government to shut down in less than an hour, would be first single-party shutdown ever

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Xzi, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Xzi
    OP

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/19/16911148/government-shutdown-unified-control

This is all essentially a result of the "shithole countries" thing, as at the time Trump said he was willing to sign any bipartisan funding bill brought to him. So Trump undermined his own party and went back on his word because he specifically dislikes DACA, and now here we are. Do you think they'll avoid this last second? Or is the shutdown inevitable?

Roughly 80% of Americans support DACA, according to a number of polls.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/americans-back-daca-huge-margin-poll/story?id=50032985

Last edited by Xzi, Jan 20, 2018
  2. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: Shitposting.
    Jan 20, 2018
  3. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Well, I don’t think he dislikes DACA, I think it’s that he wants to accomplish a long term deal to brag about later. It’s ironic though that he spoke at that anti-abortion march or whatever it was, talking about how all kids deserve a chance. Then torpedoes any effort to keep kids healthcare in the interest of ego and pride. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I see it.

4. Vahnyyz

Vahnyyz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 2, 2007
    United States
    Branford Fl
    it's not uncommon at all, and as far as "80% of americans" that's a bull**** poll, because that's not true. The system for immigration is bad and it needs to be reworked. I don't care if they call it daydream dreamers daca or Caca. what they need to do is fix it and stop being stupid about it

5. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The bipartisan bill that was brought before Trump included both money for border security and for DACA. "Fix it" doesn't mean "deport 'em all and forget about it."

And the actual number is 86% support. I was being conservative so as to try not to offend anybody's delicate political sensibilities. Look up 20 polls if you like, they'll all be in that range.

6. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    It shut down before, and fuck all happened.

VinLark likes this.
  7. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Every time the government is shut down, a ton of money is lost and military members are hit hardest.

HaloEliteLegend and dimmidice like this.
  8. Thedge

Thedge Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ this doesn't seem like that big of a deal? like, unless there's massive riots or something i cant see this being a suuuuper big deal, its not martial law or anything. but what do i know? im just a leaf.

9. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Did you have a stroke while writing that? And it's pretty common yea. Hasn't ever happened before when a single party has all 3 though.
    It's a huge deal actually. If you work for a federal agency. Or need certain federal agency's assistance. And it causes a dip in the stock market too iirc.

The longer the shutdown lasts the bigger an issue it'll become.

The world is bigger than your basement. There's definitely consequences to this. As there has been before.

Last edited by dimmidice, Jan 20, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 and Xzi like this.
  10. Thedge

Thedge Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    ah, didnt even think about the stock market, thanks for the info.

11. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It hurts some parts of the population more than others, but mostly it's just a massive failure of leadership when you control all three branches of government and still can't keep it functioning. The Republican in-fighting is hilarious, but it's also likely to become damaging.

12. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 20, 2018.
    Jan 20, 2018
  13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Wanna give us an in-depth explanation on why you think our immigration system is so bad?

14. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Yeah polls are so objective and unburdened by the agenda/bias of those who frame them.

Did you hear? Hillary's got a 96% chance of winning!

15. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Sorta, but this is.. Un-usual because the majority republican p
    Cause most Republicans are scared of anyone who isn't a white christian.

invaderyoyo and Xzi like this.
  16. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Eh, just because the odds are in your favor doesn't mean you'll win. Plus, she did win the popular vote by, what, 2 million votes?

Don Jon, Sophie-bear and Xzi like this.
  17. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States

But...But Trump has proof that it was voter fraud... Proof he refuses to release. x.x

18. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Irrelevant. But we all know that.

Thing is, depending on the conditions of a poll, a person may be taken as supporting something even if that support were conceded conditionally. For example, I'd support amnesty and a path to citizenship for DACA people if it came along with funding for a secured border and universal voter ID. Does that mean I support DACA? Maybe.

Doesn't matter. Popular vote tallies are irrelevant in the Presidential election. Trump won by the rules. You'll need a Constitutional amendment to change them.

Last edited by Hanafuda, Jan 20, 2018
    Stephano likes this.
  19. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Most polls at election time gave Trump around a 33% chance of winning, which is significant.

I also said to look up the polls for yourself so I can't frame them for you. Regardless of whether the source is right or left leaning, the numbers are gonna end up about the same as long as the poll was conducted scientifically.

Government shutdown deadline has passed, though Senators are still on the floor hashing things out.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  20. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    It just shut down

21. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Hoo boy...

Xzi likes this.
  22. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Don't get too worried. Unless someone in your family works for the federal government or so you probably won't feel the effects of it. Not unless it drags on a long time.

TotalInsanity4, Xzi and jDSX like this.