• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US Government to shut down in less than an hour, would be first single-party shutdown ever

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/19/16911148/government-shutdown-unified-control

This is all essentially a result of the "shithole countries" thing, as at the time Trump said he was willing to sign any bipartisan funding bill brought to him. So Trump undermined his own party and went back on his word because he specifically dislikes DACA, and now here we are. Do you think they'll avoid this last second? Or is the shutdown inevitable?

Roughly 80% of Americans support DACA, according to a number of polls.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/americans-back-daca-huge-margin-poll/story?id=50032985

Last edited by Xzi,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don’t think he dislikes DACA, I think it’s that he wants to accomplish a long term deal to brag about later. It’s ironic though that he spoke at that anti-abortion march or whatever it was, talking about how all kids deserve a chance. Then torpedoes any effort to keep kids healthcare in the interest of ego and pride. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I see it.

Vahnyyz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's not uncommon at all, and as far as "80% of americans" that's a bull**** poll, because that's not true. The system for immigration is bad and it needs to be reworked. I don't care if they call it daydream dreamers daca or Caca. what they need to do is fix it and stop being stupid about it

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
it's not uncommon at all, and as far as "80% of americans" that's a bull**** poll, because that's not true. The system for immigration is bad and it needs to be reworked. I don't care if they call it daydream dreamers daca or Caca. what they need to do is fix it and stop being stupid about it
The bipartisan bill that was brought before Trump included both money for border security and for DACA. "Fix it" doesn't mean "deport 'em all and forget about it."

And the actual number is 86% support. I was being conservative so as to try not to offend anybody's delicate political sensibilities. Look up 20 polls if you like, they'll all be in that range.

Last edited by Xzi,

Thedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ this doesn't seem like that big of a deal? like, unless there's massive riots or something i cant see this being a suuuuper big deal, its not martial law or anything. but what do i know? im just a leaf.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hanst the gov't shatut down beffor? itsa not inclcommon right?
Did you have a stroke while writing that? And it's pretty common yea. Hasn't ever happened before when a single party has all 3 though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ this doesn't seem like that big of a deal? like, unless there's massive riots or something i cant see this being a suuuuper big deal, its not martial law or anything. but what do i know? im just a leaf.
It's a huge deal actually. If you work for a federal agency. Or need certain federal agency's assistance. And it causes a dip in the stock market too iirc.

The longer the shutdown lasts the bigger an issue it'll become.

It shut down before, and fuck all happened.
The world is bigger than your basement. There's definitely consequences to this. As there has been before.

Last edited by dimmidice,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It hurts some parts of the population more than others, but mostly it's just a massive failure of leadership when you control all three branches of government and still can't keep it functioning. The Republican in-fighting is hilarious, but it's also likely to become damaging.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanna give us an in-depth explanation on why you think our immigration system is so bad?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah polls are so objective and unburdened by the agenda/bias of those who frame them.

Did you hear? Hillary's got a 96% chance of winning!
Eh, just because the odds are in your favor doesn't mean you'll win. Plus, she did win the popular vote by, what, 2 million votes?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, just because the odds are in your favor doesn't mean you'll win. Plus, she did win the popular vote by, what, 2 million votes?

Irrelevant. But we all know that.

Thing is, depending on the conditions of a poll, a person may be taken as supporting something even if that support were conceded conditionally. For example, I'd support amnesty and a path to citizenship for DACA people if it came along with funding for a secured border and universal voter ID. Does that mean I support DACA? Maybe.

But...But Trump has proof that it was voter fraud... Proof he refuses to release. x.x

Doesn't matter. Popular vote tallies are irrelevant in the Presidential election. Trump won by the rules. You'll need a Constitutional amendment to change them.

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: Stephano

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah polls are so objective and unburdened by the agenda/bias of those who frame them.

Did you hear? Hillary's got a 96% chance of winning!
Most polls at election time gave Trump around a 33% chance of winning, which is significant.

I also said to look up the polls for yourself so I can't frame them for you. Regardless of whether the source is right or left leaning, the numbers are gonna end up about the same as long as the poll was conducted scientifically.

Government shutdown deadline has passed, though Senators are still on the floor hashing things out.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn