SamHC

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think this is just going for its first reading today. We have months before it actually becomes law.

(If anyone can find me anything to prove otherwise I'd be eager to read that...)

Even after its passed... When was the last time Canada was internationally known for being tough on crime?

We already weren't charging people for file sharing MP3s, though it is technically a crime. We pay taxes on blank media so the extra money can go towards the record and movie companies.

Having small amounts of pot on you is basically a couple hundred dollar ticket now.

We're not that tough on crime. These laws won't change how the Canadian people feel.

Don't worry about this legislation now... Worry when they've successfully charged someone with it.

D

Deleted User

Man, what news. For the people from Toronto:

Since when did laws stop Pacific Mall and First Markham Place from selling pirated DVDs?
tongue.gif
I always hear stories of them getting busted ... and then the store opens up again with more movies.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it is illegal to buy or sell flash carts in the UK, only mod chips. You can buy flash cards from UK websites / companies as big as Amazon.co.uk and quite a few others, Amazon sells R4's M3's etc, even if these are from third part sellers they are still being sold via Amazon

Maybe its just a matter of time though.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to send a letter now!
They can't do this~
....and if they do.I would be more than happy to send any Canadian a cake,but hidden within the cake is your flashcart.hehe

Edit:Can someone give me a province,address,city,so I can send the letter.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gaboumafou said:
Don't need an adress, just city/province.

Montreal/Quebec
Toronto/Ontario

etc.
Thanks I sent it~
Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia

For all you peeps who are looking at this.
I don't like stalkers so send a letter,or I'll fuckin kick you in the balls!CAPTAIN PLANET!

Success

Your letter has been successfully emailed to Prime Minister Harper, Minister of Industry Jim Prentice and Minister of Canadian Heritage Josée Verner regarding your concerns about copyright reform in Canada.
Thats what happens when you send this letter.Success!The Canadians need all the success they can get~

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks like you Canadians have a reprieve.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/06...-copyright.html

QUOTE said:
An updated copyright bill that could impose serious penalties for illegal downloading is in limbo amid suggestions the Conservative government is hesitant to introduce the controversial legislation after being stung by public outrage last year.

Minister of Industry Jim Prentice told reporters in Ottawa on Tuesday that he will not introduce the bill, which would bring Canada in line with its World Intellectual Property Organization obligations, until he is satisfied it strikes "the appropriate balance" between consumer rights and demands from copyright holders.

The National Post reported on Tuesday that Prentice would introduce the bill on Wednesday, while The Globe and Mail cited Ottawa insiders as saying the legislation won't be presented until next week.

Another unnamed source told The Globe that the bill will be left to die when Parliament breaks for its summer session — expected to begin in the middle of the month — because there's no way it will pass under a minority government.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
IBNobody said:
Looks like you Canadians have a reprieve.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/06...-copyright.html

QUOTE said:
An updated copyright bill that could impose serious penalties for illegal downloading is in limbo amid suggestions the Conservative government is hesitant to introduce the controversial legislation after being stung by public outrage last year.

Minister of Industry Jim Prentice told reporters in Ottawa on Tuesday that he will not introduce the bill, which would bring Canada in line with its World Intellectual Property Organization obligations, until he is satisfied it strikes "the appropriate balance" between consumer rights and demands from copyright holders.

The National Post reported on Tuesday that Prentice would introduce the bill on Wednesday, while The Globe and Mail cited Ottawa insiders as saying the legislation won't be presented until next week.

Another unnamed source told The Globe that the bill will be left to die when Parliament breaks for its summer session — expected to begin in the middle of the month — because there's no way it will pass under a minority government.
Victory!
grog.gif
For now, at least. We shouldn't let up though, they backed down once only to bring it back this time. We must make sure these laws die and stay dead.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
Well we in USA do it anyway.
yea

it doesnt stop it here

all it means is we cant go down to the store and buy flashcarts/modchips/and flash accessories or modded systems
though with a little know how you can do it yourself and get everything else from online stores (though some US online stores sell modchips and such and have been doing it for years without any problem...)

DvDrmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good news but i think in the long run it won't go through.
How will Ninty market their fore casted DS Vision flashcart in a country that doesn't allow flashcarts.
Maybe if they say "pretty please"
yaynds.gif

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nestea80 said:
Man, what news. For the people from Toronto:

Since when did laws stop Pacific Mall and First Markham Place from selling pirated DVDs?
tongue.gif
I always hear stories of them getting busted ... and then the store opens up again with more movies.

But, never buy stuff from Pmall. They're over priced. I remember them selling R4s with a microSD for over $100 when the R4 was one of the best flashcarts around. Or something amongst that line. People just don't know how to buy online or at least.. haven't heard of it.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
13 pages later and all I can say is "I told you so".

Quebec has a better chance of fucking off than this bill ever had of getting anywhere.

But like the Separatists, this bill will return, and it was cause hysteria again, and we Canadians won't have changed.

D

Deleted User

blu9987 said:
well modchips are already illegal in the USA. Remember the raids a few months back?
I say its lucky you guys have had them for so long

actually, Modchips are completely legal in the U.S. as it falls under reverse engineering, which is completely legal.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TeenDev said:
blu9987 said:
well modchips are already illegal in the USA. Remember the raids a few months back?

actually, Modchips are completely legal in the U.S. as it falls under reverse engineering, which is completely legal.

Umm... No, they're not. They're not legal at all.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TeenDev said:
blu9987 said:

What are you talking about?! Modchips don't reverse engineer anything! At least, the general public doesn't believe so.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Even so, reverse engineering in the US is only legal if the data obtained is to be used for Interoperability with another device. But, reverse engineering a device to make it do something it's not intended to do (such as run games from a different region) is a patent and possible copyright infringement. Although, how you determine that is still up to debate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock