NULL

Re: Urgent Message to Canadians

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Ace Gunman, Jul 25, 2009.

1. mastertop101

mastertop101 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    Canada
    legitimate businesses would be crippled? okay... but 99% of the uses of such businesses is pirating... im sure some musicians or music stores have financial difficulty which they may or may not have if it weren't for piracy...
    backing up a mp3, illegal? not necessarily... law could be made clear so that what's illegal is sharing stuff with others and you can duplicate your own stuff if only you use it...
    im a pirate (and somewhat of a homebrew fan) and i'm not being an hypocrit about it
    of course, if people would have to pay 40$ if they get caught for downloading at 40$ game, then, clearly, people should keep downloading them (since they may or might not get caught)
    how can you be so confident that flash carts would be made illegal? Knives can be used to kill people, knives are legal. Killing is illegal.
    Accidentally download an MP3? hmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe..... just inform people at little and it won't happen (or the law could only be enforced against relatively big downloaders --30songs or more, 3 movies or more, 2 games or more, etc.--)
    Softwares have trial versions, people can try before buying. People can even listen to songs on youtube, etc.

2. Warriorblade

Warriorblade Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    Canada
    On The Internetz :D
    Question: how likely is this bill going to pass, like 50:50?

3. Skyline969

Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Nov 18, 2008
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Yeah, but according to this new bill trying to be passed, modifying your game systems in any way would be illegal. That means installing custom firmware on a PSP, modding your Wii, or using a DS flashcard. If it makes the console do something it wasn't intended to do by the manufacturer, then the government's trying to make it illegal.

4. Ace Gunman
    OP

Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Former Staff
    Apr 17, 2003
    Canada
    Wassamatta U
    As Skyline has pointed out, mastertop, that is precisely the problem. I have no issue with copyright reform if it's done properly, but that's not the case here. The problem here isn't that they're making laws to better prevent piracy and whatnot, it's that those specific amendments you're talking about? They aren't happening.

Part of the bill is that ALL system circumvention devices are being made illegal. There's no grey area, there's no "It's alright if you're using it for homebrew...". Flashcarts will be totally and completely illegal in Canada, as will modchips, custom firmware, this may even extend to currently perfectly legal open-source projects.

There are no shades of grey in this bill. It's US lobby groups pressuring Canada into making virtually everything involving digital copyright completely and totally illegal. No special considerations for those who make mistakes, no distinguishing between a chronic 500GBs software pirate and a little old granny in a cottage downloading a Britney Spears song for her grandkid.

This is what I'm trying to stress here, the problem absolutely isn't that they want to strengthen copyright reform. There are many ways that Canada is weaker in that regard, which could be improved. And many others that we're stronger and others should follow our example. But what they're talking about is completely scrapping what does work in favor of 100% cold, unfeeling regimented law that leaves no room for special cases.

They already have the RCMP raiding flashcart distributors and claiming that it's illegal, before the law has even passed. Forget about drug dealers, human trafficking, a underage sex rings. They're sending Canada's elite police force on RAIDS to take out virtually harmless providers of flash carts.

Which, just like you said, mastertop, knives on their own don't kill people. Flash carts don't either. A fork can be used as a weapon, but that's not its intention. Going with that metaphor, what we're talking about is the government of Canada saying that ALL forks are weapons. That's what this is about, that's what we're fighting against. Complete and total removal of Canadian digital freedoms.

5. Skyline969

Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Nov 18, 2008
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Canada thinks forks are weapons? Where does our government get off? [​IMG]
    Just kidding, I know it's a metaphor, and very well-put as well. We've gotta take this down, cos if we don't we're screwed! The whole no-grey-area thing is a load of shit. I could partially accept this bill if there WERE grey areas, but this just isn't the case. This's serious stuff, and action needs to be taken ASAP from everyone who can - including those not in Canada. Voice your opinion and help change the future for a country!

6. mastertop101

mastertop101 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    Canada
    okay okay, you make good points... just saying that i believe that many people will send letters such as
    "i don't want any copyright laws whatsoever"
    which, imo, should not have any positive impact...
    copyright laws should be made properly (protecting every people's interest), for sure

7. Ace Gunman
    OP

Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Former Staff
    Apr 17, 2003
    Canada
    Wassamatta U
    That too is a good point. Fighting for no copyright laws whatsoever will likely only set the cause back. We need to be intelligent about it, otherwise they'll overlook our plea.

8. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Another example of why this bill should not be passed. If all modifications become illegal, then thousands of people in Canada will have to be fined over $500 or more because of modified consoles, even if they are perfectly legal.

Remember, this bill is a lot more strict than the US DMCA.

BTW, CCER has received over 1000 submissions.

9. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    If there was a card released which only ran homebrew (which nobody would buy) and didn't deliberately be designed and marketed to run pirated games you might have a point. The fork as a weapon comparison is funny but completely ridiculous to even compare because 99.9% of fork users are not killing people with them.

The current grey area status of the legality of NDS flashcarts is really a bad thing, masses of casual users who would never been able to pirate without the cheap R4's which are everywhere. Determined people will always be able to get flashcarts regardless of legality and it can be a niche which will be ignored, but when you have hundreds of thousands of people using them someone will notice and take action.

10. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Pocono Mountains-Pennsylvania
    Wrong. Copyright laws do need to be enforced, yes...but they also need to be changed and reformed.
    As it is now, just for example, a copyright holder can make something some people want completely disappear, and make it inaccessible. They should not have THAT right.

As an example, let's suppose I would like a copy of Pac-Man to play. Maybe because I like the old classics. Maybe I'm a Pac-Man junkie...maybe I even had Pac-Man Fever back in the day. But now, I can't get a copy anywhere, it isn't for sale anywhere.

If the original copyright holder on Pac-Man is not going to USE their copyright...in order to make money on a product some people may still want...then they should be forced to release the copyright, and make Pac-Man "public domain" free for anyone to have for non-commercial uses.

they have no right to make Pac-Man disappear, kill the classics, and deny me the ability to get a copy of Pac-Man that I'm perfectly willing to buy, if only they would sell it to me.

They have no right to make the classics disappear.

11. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Yes. You will. Because if the big corps get their way in Canada, they will try America next. and they will take away our rights, too. And never forget that our politicians here are all to eager to sell our rights away to the highest bidder, in order to finance their own re-election campaigns. It's called quid-pro-quo. Look it up sometime.

12. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Oh, they will try. and they will try to change ours here in America, too. they want a complete monopoly on everything so that they can charge people thru the nose.

Basterds.

13. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    they can. and will. all under the disguise and excuse of "watching for terrorists."

It's a load of shit excuse for them to monitor US more.

Oh, hey...Agent Mike...you getting all this??

Well THIS bud's for you...(insert middle finger emoticon)

14. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    that's because big business owns the media...and government and big business are in cahoots together.

Once, that was called "fascism."

15. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    more or less, yes.
    Welcome to 1984.

16. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    Pac-Man turns up in compilations fairly regularly, its on xbox live arcade/psn/wiiware and is clearly still for sale. So this is probably the most stupid example you could think of. Lets just say its only an example though and you instead some game which this actually applied for, who is actually trying to stop you the ability to pirate old games? Unless they are infact using the copyright its ignored. They don't care and never enforce it, so you are complaining about something that isn't even happening. What they do care about is you trying to pirate new games which is probably exactly what you do considering you are on this site.

17. Kalisiin

Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, Pac-Man is a dumb example, I suppose, BUT, gimme a break, I was working on the overnight shift when I wrote it. The brain doesn't work so well at 3:30 in the morning!!

That said, I am an old-school gamer, I honestly do not like most of the new games out there. Hate most of them, in fact...so your assumptions are incorrect.

I know they don't care and usually don't enforce it against what I actually do...but the point is they COULD...and I don't want them to be able to. I don't want them to have the ability to kill the classics.

And I'm here to learn how to do the things that are legal and/or illegal but ignored...with flashcarts. Like homebrew stuff...backing up stuff I already own...and getting stuff that's really old, and cannot usually be obtained in the normal way any longer. so, again, your assumptions about me are completely incorrect...but thanks for playing!

If you read most of my previous posts, you'd know that about me already.

Ask others who know me on this site and they will tell you I am the biggest old-schooler there is around here, and that I almost universally hate the new stuff coming out. Most of it I find either downright offensive because of it's content (like GTA for example) or I find stupid, because it's themed after dumbass "celebrities" I could care less about...or the controls are too goddam complicated (push A, B and X simultaneously, while holding the conreoller down to throw a specific kind of punch) - like I'm supposed to remember all that shit....puh-leeeze! So, games like Street fighter type games in the new generation are not for me...etc, etc.

About the most complicated set of controls for a game I actually like is Yie-Ar Kung Fu. Anything more complicated than that and the game companies can keep it as far as I am concerned.

18. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    It's past September 13. Did we win?

NULL