Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Canadian Prime Minister promises to enact a Canadian DMCA in six weeks

via, http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

dmcacanada.gif

QUOTE said:
Months of public debate over the future of Canadian copyright law were quietly decided earlier this week, when sources say the Prime Minister's Office reached a verdict over the direction of the next copyright bill. The PMO was forced to make the call after Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore and Industry Minister Tony Clement were unable to reach consensus on the broad framework of a new bill.
With mounting pressure from the U.S. - there have repeated meetings with senior U.S. officials in recent weeks - the PMO sided squarely with Moore's vision of a U.S.-style copyright law. The detailed provisions will be negotiated over the coming weeks by the respective departments, but they now have their marching orders of completing a bill that will satisfy the U.S. that comes complete with tough anti-circumvention rules and no flexible fair dealing provision.

For those wondering what can be done, my only answer is to speak out now. Write a paper letter to your Member of Parliament and send copies to the Prime Minister, Moore, Clement and Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff. No stamp is required - be sure to include your home address and send it to the House of Commons, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A6. Once that is done, join the Facebook group and the Facebook page and be sure to ask others do the same. You may have spoken out before, but your voice is needed yet again.

Full Story

Seriously, what the hell is this? I urge everyone to read the passage above and write.

This will mean that our mp3 players & even harddrives will be a portable crime box.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, right now, do you think that writing countless letters will DO anything?

It won't, and you know it. It's been done countless times (both to the government and to the CRTC), yet nothing really good ever happens. Writing letters now is a complete waste of time and trees, because we will be ignored.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Absolutely pathetic. The last thing we should do is bow to pressure from the US to enact this kind of laughable, draconion bull**** that they try to pass off as law.

It's a shame that Salamantis is quite right, and no amount of writing will compel the current Government to change their minds. Even a minority Conservative government is a dangerous thing, and this proves it. I hope the opposition finally grow some balls and unifies to bring the Conservatives to task over this.

As much as yet another election is seems like a rather odious concept, at this point I'd be in favour of it if we can finally get rid of the Conservatives.

If nothing is done to stop this and it goes through, I'll simply start pirating by the boatload to spite it. While I don't tend to pirate now, I'll gladly rent and copy every new DVD release I can get my hands on, and then give them away for free to as many people I know as possible.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oooh a wide reaching IP law either made shadily/based on a widely disliked series of laws or something for an area as complex as IP thrown together in six weeks*.........

Poor Canada.

*to say nothing of the timeframe would I be wrong in assuming Canadian politicos have about as much IT knowledge as most others in other countries?

D

Deleted_171835

Steven Harper sucks. Plain and simple. That 'tard.
It doesn't seem like there is anything we can do. Canada is a great country but it seems to be following in the steps of the United States of America more often.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
assuming Canadian politicos have about as much IT knowledge as most others in other countries?

That's a pretty safe assumption. Harper seems most concerned with satisfying his American overlords, and getting a pat on the head. I really hope his party doesn't get back in after the next election... the only worrying thing is it's impossible to know if the Liberals will do a much better job. Is it that much to ask for a government that doesn't allow American policies to pressure them? Canada sure as hell isn't America, and their laws don't reflect our public opinions AT ALL.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone got a rifle? I will give someone 100 bucks to shoot Harper in the face! The man is a fucking retard of the worst kind, he needs to have his ass kicked for allowing the US based corporations to bully him into changing our copyright laws. I hope someone kills that fucking retarded robot of a man, he has no brain and is just the worlds biggest tool.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Salamantis said:
Oh and hey, by the way, the CRTC has passed UBB for Bell today. Meaning users that use high bandwidth will get charged even more!

Once again, so much for the countless letters sent to the crap-tastic CRTC! I love Canada too
smile.gif
(obvious sarcasm)

( http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05...l#ixzz0nB37U3gR )

Disgusting. How Canada can be so progressive in some areas, but so horribly backwards in issues like this is laughable. I'm going to have to consider looking into alternatives to Sympatico. I've got to say, I find some of the recent trends in Canadian decisions over matters like this pretty disturbing. If consumers just lay down and allow the government to steamroll over them, we'll quickly lose a lot of our protections and rights.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Supporting this as a news article for front page. Just like last time, GBAtemp may mobilize a substantial number of internet users. Proactivity through early awareness.

D

Deleted_171835

Searinox said:
Supporting this as a news article for front page. Just like last time, GBAtemp may mobilize a substantial number of internet users. Proactivity through early awareness.
Yep.
Perhaps we will generate more publicity to make at least a small dent in their efforts.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want DMCA then don't write your complaints to your Prime Minister.

Intead you can either give him APROX. OVER NINE-GAZILLION (Insert Currency Here) or BLOW HIM! (That is give him a BJ or if it is Female give her a CJ!) That will persuade him/her to your side.

What!? Don't look at me like that! It's gross!
Hey what can I say, if you want to win a contest you suck at...then persuade the judges by bribery or just "sucking". LULZ

bangloboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
these are going to be sad weeks in canada if we dont speak out - what happened to the yesteryears of actually standing in front of parliament and protesting!!!?

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Man...I guess I should do this letter thing. I don't really care if it gets ignored(which I am sure it'll be ignored) but I at least want to do something to help out.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
here's his reply not sure if it's automated or not

[not posting my real name
tongue.gif
], thank you for your email. Although you may have access to inside information on the issue which I am not privy to, no copyright legislation has yet been tabled. Until such time as I see the actual legislation, I am in no position to comment on your claims.

I will state, however, that I expect the legislation to strike an appropriate balance between the interests of consumers and the rights of the creators and distributors of content. Will we please everybody? Probably not. I don't expect any stakeholder to get everything they had hoped for. I am, however, confident that we will come up with a "Made in Canada" approach to the new challenges facing us in the 21st century.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns with me. I look forward to reviewing the legislation if and when it is tabled in the House of Commons.

Ed Fast, M.P.
Abbotsford
Chairman, Standing Committee on Justice & Human Rights

wait what he doesn't know of any plan WTF!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty hello