Homebrew Updating Wii gamer card using homebrew

minus_273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have made a wii gamer card system that works like the xbox live and PSN equivalents because i doubt nintendo would ever do it. It piggybacks on the giantbomb database to get game boxart. As an example here is my gamercard (the backgrounds are customizable of course) :

I have been testing the card in beta for a few months and its open to the public now. I am shifting focus to wii end of things.

At the moment updates are done manually by searching for and clicking on the game name on the web page. Its not too tedious when using the nintendo channel, but eliminating that step entirely would bring this closer to parity with the live and psn cards. This is where homebrew would come in. I have made an API that consists of simple HTTP get calls that can be done from any homebrew application to update the users card. As long as you can connect on port 80 and send commands you can update someone's card provided you have the game name and user's secret key or username/password.

I have no experience developing anything on the wii so i am not sure what complications may arise. Would anyone like to help me test this out and iron out any bugs with the gamercard in the process?

For the interested, detailed documentation on how to update a card is here:
http://www.messageboardchampion.com/2009/1...e-from-the-wii/

minus_273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
X D D X said:
Nice idea but it seems a bit complicated... I'd love to see where this project goes though.

Actually, its very simple. The gamer card is already setup and working. We just need an app on the wii to tell it when a new game is played.

its supposed to work like this:
1. set up application with username and password
2. play game(s)
3. run app to update the card

alternatively if you are using a launcher to play off a HDD or something, this would happen in the background automatically
1. set up with username and password
2. pick game to play
3. launcher updates gamer card

could someone who has written homebrew for the wii try making two http calls from the wii. Is it possible for homebrew to read the game play logs and see what the most recently played games were? I see that as being the only problem.

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
There's already an app that can tell you what you played an how long but I can't remember the name of it just look on WiiBrew (might be there)

minus_273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it is time for an update on this project.

the gamer card portion is currently running on the wii and updating gamercards. There is a private beta test. If anyone is interested in testing let me know. We could also use some expertise in networking and GUI design (as you can see from the screenshot below). if the networking portion works better i want to add friends lists, wii code->user binding and maybe online presence notification i.e. a very light version of psn or live.

instructions on getting into the beta test here: http://www.messageboardchampion.com/2010/0...te-beta-begins/

ncard1.jpg

my gamer card (updated from the wii)

zerocrypto.png

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
This is pretty awesome i must say.
Please do keep up the good work, it would be great to see this incorporated into the USB loaders.

D

Deleted-247497

minus_273 said:
private beta users should update their clients. It now has a GUI.
IMG_0599-1024x768.jpg

dayam that looks nice! does it recognize when you play games through usbloader gx? because the wii system menu cant tell it just says usb loader gx

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
snico1995 said:
dayam that looks nice! does it recognize when you play games through usbloader gx? because the wii system menu cant tell it just says usb loader gx
Nope, it doesn't unfortunately. The guys behind USB Loader GX would have to implement this into the loader for that to happen I think.

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see this integrated, as an option of course, into the usb loaders. If they don't want to do that, then some sort of a pass through application that could be used in priiloader would be nice.

The pass through would just update the list with the playlog as of that boot and then forward you on to the system menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o