Emulation Homebrew Oldies Using an SD Card as an EmuNAND

mechatron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi All, Sorry I’m quite new to this all but i managed to mod my Wii recently with Homebrew/USBLOADER GX etc using a 512GB SD Card. I have over 170 GC and Wii games and everything works well (where the only storage device I’m using is the SD Card).

The issue I’m having are the Wii game data saves are still going to the internal Wii Block memory instead of onto the SD Card. I’ve set the save paths to a NAND folder on the SD Card but not sure what other settings I need to set. Am I meant to set “Memory Card Emulation” to ON? Also when I try to use EmuNAND Save Mode a message comes up stating “this setting doesn’t work in SD Card mode”. I’ve also tried to update USBLOADER GX but it says it’s up to date. In this version of USB LOADER GX, is it possible to use the SD Card as an EmuNAND/game save data storage device, or should I be using an external HDD for the game saves? Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to use the SD Card as an EmuNAND/game save data storage device, or should I be using an external HDD for the game saves?
The setting won't work because the d2x cIOS doesn't currently allow writes to the SD card while a games being read from it.

If I'm ever able to get my hands on a USB Gecko then I'll attempt to resolve the problem. But until then you could try using a USB SD card reader?

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I'm ever able to get my hands on a USB Gecko then I'll attempt to resolve the problem
Get me the going prices for these, & I'll see what I can do to help you to obtain one.
URLs indicating prices ? Au$ would be great. (PM me if you find that more suitable)
I struggled to locate satisfying info, & it was confusing. Looks a like GC peripheral.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@morning_glory
The USB Gecko is a Wii/Gamecube development and hacking tool by Ian Callaghan which connects to the USB port of the computer, and to the GameCube memory slot of the Wii. It can be used to upload homebrew, to use your computer as a remote terminal under Wii Linux and as a remote debugging tool.
So I'd use the device to see exactly what the cIOS is doing, gain a better understanding as to why certain games crash when they're installed to an EmuNAND and debug SD card access. Then of course I'd try to fix the issues.

There used to be a cheap (£20 including delivery) USB Gecko clone called the Shuriken USB, but unfortunately it was discontinued because the seller was stuggling to get the required parts to build the devices. So now the only option is a $70 (approx £57) version from webhdx, which he restocks every so often.

My current plan is to collect a few donations, purchase one of these devices when they're in stock again and then hopefully I can make some improvements :)

Last edited by blackb0x,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My current plan is to collect a few donations, purchase one of these devices when they're in stock again and then hopefully I can make some improvements
Exactly where I was heading :)
It will take me a little while to do this, & it will also involve another person whom we all like lots. I'm most likely do it in around-ish 2 weeks :)

BTW - No need to elaborate with your methods (thanks anyway). I wouldn't understand it. Also, I would most likely never use it myself. But, you're the kingpin & full of wisdom, & I'm happy to oblige :)
Hope it works in our favors ;)

Reactions: blackb0x

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
That could be done for a long time, the issue is simultaneously using the sd card for game data

If u use sneek and enable the option for sd access when constructing it (after reading and understanding the risk of data corruption) this can be done as well. Just not within a usbloader using d2x cios as blackb0x pointed out above

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto