Hacking Updating softmodded 4.2 to 4.3 with latest IOSes

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mike333 said:
waitaminute said:
Is the USB loader necessary if I plan on playing backups from burned DVDs?
Yes, You will use burned DVDs as an source for usb installation.
smile.gif
No. Use Neogamma R8\R9, no need for USB Loader.

waitaminute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Priiloader page says "THIS TOOL MODIFIES THE NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF THE WII SYSTEM AND THEREFORE CAN CAUSE UNEXPECTED PROBLEMS", and although I know this is probably just a standard disclaimer, I think I would feel better with 4.3 installed.

Is the consensus to simply use Priiloader instead of updating to 4.3?

What would I need to do to get burned games to work from the disk channel if I did update to system menu 4.3? Just install IOS236 before upgrading?

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
waitaminute said:
Is the consensus to simply use Priiloader instead of updating to 4.3?
You have bootmii@boot2 and recent/valid nand backup. Best softmod recovery possible.
Stick to priiloader. It will work just fine.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
Many are scared about Priiloader but it's safe and a very valuable tool.

I am on 4.2 and probably will never update unless Nintenmdo actually adds some new features to their firmware updates.

waitaminute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can I just edit out the things in hacks.ini that I don't want? For example, the recovery menu seems pretty useless, and I think I still want music in the menus.

And what do I do if I need to update the system menu in the future? Will I update, and then add a new hacks.ini file? Will the one on the SD card always overwrite the one on the NAND?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
waitaminute said:
Can I just edit out the things in hacks.ini that I don't want? For example, the recovery menu seems pretty useless, and I think I still want music in the menus.

And what do I do if I need to update the system menu in the future? Will I update, and then add a new hacks.ini file? Will the one on the SD card always overwrite the one on the NAND?
You can activate and deactivate the hacks directly in priiloader. When you update the system menu you will delete priiloader and the hacks, this mean you need to reinstall priiloader and the hacks.

waitaminute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the info, FIX94. However, I can't find a way to activate hacks directly in Priiloader. I press Reset when starting my Wii, and enter the Priiloader menu, but I can't seem to find stuff like "disable updates."

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
waitaminute said:
Thanks for the info, FIX94. However, I can't find a way to activate hacks directly in Priiloader. I press Reset when starting my Wii, and enter the Priiloader menu, but I can't seem to find stuff like "disable updates."
You must go to system menu hacks in priiloader.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waitaminute said:
First copy hacks.ini for your SM on SD root then you should see an option for hacks settings under priiloader menue.

waitaminute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bula said:
First copy hacks.ini for your SM on SD root then you should see an option for hacks settings under priiloader menue.
Yeah, I found a hacks.ini. But can I just remove the hacks I don't want? I would probably just want the bare basics, such as blocking upgrades.

Edit: My hacks.ini for a 4.2 PAL system would be (based on http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks#PAL_4.2):

CODE[Block Disc Updates]
version=482
offset=0x8137F664,0x8137F668,0x8137F60C,0x8137F610,0x8137F564,0x8137F568
value=0x60000000,0x60000000,0x60000000,0x60000000,0x60000000,0x60000000
[Block Online Updates]
version=482
offset=0x81690070
value=0x6E756C6C

Does that seem correct?

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
You can skip the hacks you want by deleting the relevant line in a text editor but as you can enable and disbale any hack at will it's not really needed.

Decide you want to update your SM..then just disable the function and save.

The hacks.ini link that fix94 gave you works on system menu's 4.1 to 4.3 as they contain all the relevant lines...use that as it will work even if you decide to update to 4.3 at some point.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waitaminute said:
bula said:
Yeah, I found a hacks.ini. But can I just remove the hacks I don't want? I would probably just want the bare basics, such as blocking upgrades.

They are not active anyway. Hacks you want have to be set on in priiloader menue under settings .

waitaminute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll just add a hacks.ini with the "[Block Disc Updates]" section for PAL 4.2 as a start to see where that gets me.

Thanks a lot for all the great help so far! You guys have the patience of angels
smile.gif

waitaminute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just tried "Metroid: Other M", and the game informed me that I need an update even though I enabled "[Block Disc Updates]" from the Priiloader screen after adding it to hacks.ini. Is this to be expected? Can I safely press "OK?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg