Hacking Updating OFW for online play?

lucky13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve never touched or even used my OFW which is on v6, it’s all backed up and virgin and never been online ..I’ve only ever run emunand on an external SSD without ever using autoRCM my question is I really want to go online and play Fortnite so to do this I’ll need to finally update my OFW to the current version so to make sure I don’t get banned I was going to use a brand new SSD boot to OFW and then go through the official Nintendo process to update the OFW to the latest, download Fortnite and then go online for the first time ever...should I be ok and not get banned ? Also is there anything I’ll lose by updating OFW to the latest build I.e it won’t affect my ability to boot to emummc ?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
After you have updated SysNAND you can still boot to EmuMMC. If you update through official system update, your switch will burn fuses up to the latest firmware. That‘s not bad at all if you never want to downgrade your SysNAND.

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SSD?

If you have a patched unit and use pegascape to boot your emummc then you won't be able to use CFW anymore. But if you have an unpatched unit it doesn't really matter your firmware version.

As for being banned, if you never went online with your emummc then i think you should be safe, your scenario is pretty much similar to mine.

I use sysnand to boot stock and play online, then i use emummc to boot cfw and use homebrew (100% offline). I've been doing this for more than a year and i didn't get banned so far.

Last edited by Tokiwa,

lucky13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome thanks guys yes mine is an unpatched switch so I just RCM using dongle to get in CFW

I take it I should put a clean SSD ( containing no obvious CFW Files or folders ) into the switch before loading OFW and going online as I’d imagine Nintendo only need to see suspicious folder names to ban ? Or do you think Nintendo wouldn’t check SSD folder names for things like Atmosphere ?

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Awesome thanks guys yes mine is an unpatched switch so I just RCM using dongle to get in CFW

I take it I should put a clean SSD ( containing no obvious CFW Files or folders ) into the switch before loading OFW and going online as I’d imagine Nintendo only need to see suspicious folder names to ban ? Or do you think Nintendo wouldn’t check SSD folder names for things like Atmosphere ?

It would be pretty insane (maybe even illegal) to get banned for just having files on your "sd card" since you can also use the same sd card as personal storage on your computer, phone, etc.

But as far my personal experience goes, no it didn't happen.

I also recommend checking the pinned thread about bans, you can learn a lot more there: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a dualboot switch you can do both with no problems my emmunand is on 10.0.2 and my sysnand is on 9.1.0 so it's like having 2 switches on 1 device but I reccomend just buying another switch. If you make a slightest mistake in your emmunand without using 90NDS/Incognito they can ban you

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

No, they don‘t check the files and folders on your sd card. By the way, SSD is not a sd card. Better call it sd card to not confuse someone ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.