Tutorial  Updated

Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Follow https://3ds.guide to install Boot9strap, the latest and best setup you can have. It's super easy to setup, highly recommended to make the switch. Stop using EmuNAND and menuhax!!
Also, there's a step in the guide that has you move EmuNAND to sysNAND. So you won't lose any of your stuff in the end.

If you want personal one on one help with the process, send me a PM or let me know in a reply. It's also much quicker with my help than doing it on your own.

Last edited by MattKimura,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i do this "Steps for Menuhax users : Extract the arm9loaderhax.bin file to the root of the SD " without downgrading my 3ds ?
my quetion is if im in 11.1.0-34u and i follow the Menuhax steps, it will work ?
Sorry im pretty noob at this i cant risk losing my actual configuration without being sure that it will work
If you're a menuhax user and you have emuNAND setup, then yes you can use these steps to switch to Luma3DS CFW. The arm9loaderhax.bin is needed, even though you aren't using Am9loaderhax.

You don't need to downgrade your 3DS.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@blikster @LaronX
The guide is slightly outdated, you no longer need to get the luma folder. Luma3DS creates one for you automatically.

If you're using menuhax, all you need is luma's boot.3dsx file and luma's arm9loaderhax.bin file on the root.

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still loads rxtools, I used this tutorial
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

and is the luma folder Luma3DS, inside hacks/3ds?
I think I'm in the same boat as this guy. I copied over the boot.3dsx and arm9loaderhax.bin files, but on system boot it still shows the RXtools loading screen. Though, I think I'm using themehax to auto-boot into RXtools emuNAND on startup. Is there something else I need to do to set up Luma3DS? Maybe I need to start from scratch?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm in the same boat as this guy. I copied over the boot.3dsx and arm9loaderhax.bin files, but on system boot it still shows the RXtools loading screen. Though, I think I'm using themehax to auto-boot into RXtools emuNAND on startup. Is there something else I need to do to set up Luma3DS? Maybe I need to start from scratch?
Try deleting the rxTools folder on the root.

You should install arm9loaderhax, it's super easy especially on new 3DS. I'll even personally guide you through it, just PM me if interested.

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try deleting the rxTools folder on the root.
Ok, deleting that resulted in a boot error, complaining that it couldn't find the code.bin in the rxTools folder. But that helped me figure out what was wrong. I deleted my boot.cfg entirely, and on boot I ended up in a purple menu that allowed me to run arm9loaderhax.bin. I was then taken to the luma boot settings screen, allowed it to do its thing, but now whenever I reboot I'm back at the purple menu where I have to pick arm9loaderhax.bin every time. I tried adding it to the boot.cfg, but still, every time I have to run it from the purple boot menu. :unsure:

Edit: Nevermind, saw what you said on page 2 about CTR boot manager. Restored the CTR boot manager boot.cfg, removed the RXtools and PastaCFW entries, made a new one for Luma3DS.dat and left the one for boot_hb.3dsx. Seems to be working now!

Last edited by Aliahan,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, deleting that resulted in a boot error, complaining that it couldn't find the code.bin in the rxTools folder. But that helped me figure out what was wrong. I deleted my boot.cfg entirely, and on boot I ended up in a purple menu that allowed me to run arm9loaderhax.bin. I was then taken to the luma boot settings screen, allowed it to do its thing, but now whenever I reboot I'm back at the purple menu where I have to pick arm9loaderhax.bin every time. I tried adding it to the boot.cfg, but still, every time I have to run it from the purple boot menu. :unsure:

Edit: Nevermind, saw what you said on page 2 about CTR boot manager. Restored the CTR boot manager boot.cfg, removed the RXtools and PastaCFW entries, made a new one for Luma3DS.dat and left the one for boot_hb.3dsx. Seems to be working now!
That's not what I originally intended for you to do. I'm not even sure how you're accessing CTR Boot Manager if you already replaced the boot.3dsx with luma's. By default, menuhax looks for boot.3dsx (Unless you hex edited the paylaod otherwise). So by placing luma's boot.3dsx on the root, it's supposed to boot up Luma3DS right away. The am9loaderhax.bin is loaded up on it's own afterwards.
Overall it was CTRBootManager that was causing you issues with rxTools being consistent. You might have another .3dsx file on the root that menuhax looks for (You may have a different menuhax payload that looks for something other than boot.3dsx. Perhaps you're using lesshax?

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@blikster @LaronX
The guide is slightly outdated, you no longer need to get the luma folder. Luma3DS creates one for you automatically.

If you're using menuhax, all you need is luma's boot.3dsx file and luma's arm9loaderhax.bin file on the root.

Cool, I was looking for this, I still run RXTools and I want to get an upgrade. My EMUNAND is using the latest 3ds firmware, I'll upgrade tomorrow and tell you guys.

Quick thing, I read on page 7 that even after going from RX TO Luma you still dont lose your games and your save, if so that is such a relief.

Also basically Luma boots the EMUNAND into the 9.2 SYSNAD that we got? Very similar to RX then right?

Last edited by rody2k6,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, I was looking for this, I still run RXTools and I want to get an upgrade. My EMUNAND is using the latest 3ds firmware, I'll upgrade tomorrow and tell you guys.

Quick thing, I read on page 7 that even after going from RX TO Luma you still dont lose your games and your save, if so that is such a relief.

Also basically Luma boots the EMUNAND into the 9.2 SYSNAD that we got? Very similar to RX then right?
There's absolutely no reason to lose your data unless you do something wrong outside of this guide. Switching from rxtools to luma3ds for example is risk free, and also installing arm9loaderhax is risk free where you won't lose your data when done right.

Yup Luma3DS loads up emuNAND with it's own set of patches. While your 9.2 sysnand is just sitting there allowing you to even use exploits.

If you want to switch to arm9loaderhax instead, I'll walk you through it one on one. Let me know if interested.

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's absolutely no reason to lose your data unless you do something wrong outside of this guide. Switching from rxtools to luma3ds for example is risk free, and also installing arm9loaderhax is risk free where you won't lose your data when done right.

Yup Luma3DS loads up emuNAND with it's own set of patches. While your 9.2 sysnand is just sitting there allowing you to even use exploits.

If you want to switch to arm9loaderhax instead, I'll walk you through it one on one. Let me know if interested.

Is there a big advantage of going the loaderhax route instead of LUMA? I'm asking because I'm new in the hacking aspect of the 3ds, the first one I learned was RXTools and kept using that up to this day and never bothered to check anything else up until now.

EDIT: I followed your guide plus the one at the offical LUMA page. It said the following

• Always copy arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of the SD. You don't need to do anything else if you're using ARM9LoaderHax.
  • If you're using menuhax/browserhax/any other *hax that displays the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the contents of the hax folder to the root of the SD.
  • If you are using menuhax and want to boot Luma3DS directly without a boot manager/the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the boot.3dsx from the menuhax folder to the root of the SD, overwriting the existing one.
I did all 3, thing is the 3ds still boots into RXTools, what do I do now?

EDIT2: I got, I had a auto.3dsx and a boot.3dsx, I got the boot file that comes with the zip package and renamed it auto.3dsx and voila it worked. Just one question in system settings it says Emu 11.2.0-35U so it means I am totally in EMUNAND and I can update my 3ds fine with no problems right?

Last edited by rody2k6,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a big advantage of going the loaderhax route instead of LUMA? I'm asking because I'm new in the hacking aspect of the 3ds, the first one I learned was RXTools and kept using that up to this day and never bothered to check anything else up until now.

EDIT: I followed your guide plus the one at the offical LUMA page. It said the following

• Always copy arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of the SD. You don't need to do anything else if you're using ARM9LoaderHax.
  • If you're using menuhax/browserhax/any other *hax that displays the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the contents of the hax folder to the root of the SD.
  • If you are using menuhax and want to boot Luma3DS directly without a boot manager/the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the boot.3dsx from the menuhax folder to the root of the SD, overwriting the existing one.
I did all 3, thing is the 3ds still boots into RXTools, what do I do now?

EDIT2: I got, I had a auto.3dsx and a boot.3dsx, I got the boot file that comes with the zip package and renamed it auto.3dsx and voila it worked. Just one question in system settings it says Emu 11.2.0-35U so it means I am totally in EMUNAND and I can update my 3ds fine with no problems right?
Arm9loaderhax is a type of setup to have on your 3DS, kinda like Menuhax. It's nothing to do with the CFW such as Luma3DS. With Arm9loaderhax you can use Luma3DS CFW, it just boots up with the system so you can get access to CFW instantly. You're using Menuhax which has to go through sysnand first, then it boots into emuNAND with Luma3DS.

Yes once you're in emuNAND you can update in system settings (Only). You're on the latest update though.

Wonton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently on the step requiring the QR code but the page won't load when I click the link, are there any other options?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...