Tutorial  Updated

Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Follow https://3ds.guide to install Boot9strap, the latest and best setup you can have. It's super easy to setup, highly recommended to make the switch. Stop using EmuNAND and menuhax!!
Also, there's a step in the guide that has you move EmuNAND to sysNAND. So you won't lose any of your stuff in the end.

If you want personal one on one help with the process, send me a PM or let me know in a reply. It's also much quicker with my help than doing it on your own.

Last edited by MattKimura,
D

Deleted User

Hey Matt I'm currently on ReiNand and I think menuhax. I haven't touched my 3DS since 2016 and wanted to update my 3DS to Luma. I looked at the guide but it's really confusing me as I already have a homebrew launcher. If you could give me some help it would be greatly appreciated. I really don't wanna mess my 3DS up. I would PM you but can't seem to find the function.
Are you on 9.2 with menuhax? Uninstall menuhax and start here

https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)

You will be able to use the hb launcher again with a exploit called soundhax and b9s installations are for the most part brick free if you don't power off the device while b9s is installing.

Reactions: taodragon

taodragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you on 9.2 with menuhax? Uninstall menuhax and start here

https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)

You will be able to use the hb launcher again with a exploit called soundhax and b9s installations are for the most part brick free if you don't power off the device while b9s is installing.

Yes I believe I'm on 9.2 with menuhax. How do I go about uninstalling it?
Should I erase anything from my SD Card before I go about installing soundhax

D

Deleted User

Yes I believe I'm on 9.2 with menuhax. How do I go about uninstalling it?
Should I erase anything from my SD Card before I go about installing soundhax
No,infanct don't touch your sd card yet.Launch the hb launcher and look for the menuhax application.You should see a option to uninstall it.

taodragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No,infanct don't touch your sd card yet.Launch the hb launcher and look for the menuhax application.You should see a option to uninstall it.

Ok so I made it most of the way through the guide then got to this

"Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Updates while using B9S + Luma (what you have) are safe
  • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”"
Am I supposed to be actually connected to a network?
I'm kinda freaked out if I connect to the internet it'll update to a firmware I can't hack anymore
Where are the DNS settings?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I made it most of the way through the guide then got to this

"Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Updates while using B9S + Luma (what you have) are safe
  • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”"
Am I supposed to be actually connected to a network?
I'm kinda freaked out if I connect to the internet it'll update to a firmware I can't hack anymore
Where are the DNS settings?
Yes you are supposed to be connected to a network.
You've completed the guide this far, which means you now have boot9strap v1.3 and Luma3DS v9.0. It's safe to update and you will not lose your CFW or your hack.
When you check your DNS settings, just make sure the option is set to "auto" like the guide says. The guide also says it's safe to update.

taodragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes you are supposed to be connected to a network.
You've completed the guide this far, which means you now have boot9strap v1.3 and Luma3DS v9.0. It's safe to update and you will not lose your CFW or your hack.
When you check your DNS settings, just make sure the option is set to "auto" like the guide says. The guide also says it's safe to update.

I've got everything working thank you to everyone that helped I greatly appreciate it.
At the end of the guide I seen this part that has me a little puzzled

"You can now hold (Start) + (Select) + (X) on boot to dump the ARM11 bootrom (boot11.bin), the ARM9 bootrom (boot9.bin), and your console unique OTP (OTP.bin) to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card (note that this will not have any kind of prompt or message)."

Is this something that I should do? Does it have any advantages?
Also I heard something about downloading games from the eshop instead of using CIA's how would someone one go about doing this if they were so inclined?

D

Deleted User

I've got everything working thank you to everyone that helped I greatly appreciate it.

"You can now hold (Start) + (Select) + (X) on boot to dump the ARM11 bootrom (boot11.bin), the ARM9 bootrom (boot9.bin), and your console unique OTP (OTP.bin) to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card (note that this will not have any kind of prompt or message)."

Also I heard something about downloading games from the eshop instead of using CIA's how would someone one go about doing this if they were so inclined?
It's optional.All that does is extract a copy of your bootrom which is only useful for devs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can also install freeshop if you don't already have it and download games that are released in the eshop without the need of the ISO site.Other than that your eshop games will work fine if you have legit game licenses on your nnid.

Last edited by ,

taodragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's optional.All that does is extract a copy of your bootrom which is only useful for devs

You can also install freeshop if you don't already have it and download games that are released in the eshop without the need of the ISO site.Other than that your eshop games will work fine if you have legit game licenses on your nnid.

Great thanks for the info I appreciate it

Kikario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So uh.... I was following the guide and everything was going ok. I was using RXtools and menuhax before and got all the way to the Luma config screen and then when I press start to reboot the 3DS (old) it crashes. I saved the crash dump but apparently I dont know how to look at it because notepad just opens it up as nonsense, but it says "Processor: ARM11 (core 0) Exception type: data abort Fault Status: Translation-Section Current Process: menu (00040030000008F02)" I can not boot into an emunand or sysnand.

So uh.... I was following the guide and everything was going ok. I was using RXtools and menuhax before and got all the way to the Luma config screen and then when I press start to reboot the 3DS (old) it crashes. I saved the crash dump but apparently I dont know how to look at it because notepad just opens it up as nonsense, but it says "Processor: ARM11 (core 0) Exception type: data abort Fault Status: Translation-Section Current Process: menu (00040030000008F02)" I can not boot into an emunand or sysnand.
Nevermind I managed to figure it out, found out I needed to delete the exdata in the Nintendo3DS folder! I didnt see that mentioned on the guide, but maybe I just missed it.

adam1290

Trophies
XP
Country
Can I upgrade a 3DS from version 3 to 9.2 without a flash cart? I don't have one to hand and figured if I can upgrade to 9.2 then I can just do it the same way I did my other one!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Lonely here