Tutorial  Updated

Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Follow https://3ds.guide to install Boot9strap, the latest and best setup you can have. It's super easy to setup, highly recommended to make the switch. Stop using EmuNAND and menuhax!!
Also, there's a step in the guide that has you move EmuNAND to sysNAND. So you won't lose any of your stuff in the end.

If you want personal one on one help with the process, send me a PM or let me know in a reply. It's also much quicker with my help than doing it on your own.

Last edited by MattKimura,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: CAVALOCANTE

liinko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, I haven't used my 3DS in a while, and I want to update to luma3ds from rxtools.

The way I get into the cfw is through the website I have bookmarked which runs rxtools, I guess originally from this tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

So I have no idea what to do for step 4, since none of the 3 options sound familiar to me.

Do I have to install menuhax first on my current cfw then update to luma3ds or am I using one of those options but just not aware?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, I haven't used my 3DS in a while, and I want to update to luma3ds from rxtools.

The way I get into the cfw is through the website I have bookmarked which runs rxtools, I guess originally from this tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

So I have no idea what to do for step 4, since none of the 3 options sound familiar to me.

Do I have to install menuhax first on my current cfw then update to luma3ds or am I using one of those options but just not aware?
Your 3DS is so outdated, you might as well re-hack your 3DS but this time with Arm9loaderhax.

But if you want to continue using emuNAND, yes you would need to setup Menuhax on sysnAND. It's a lot of explaining and a lot of learning, just do the A9LH setup instead.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser)

Bearpowers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hacked my 3DS back in January? I think.

When the downgrade first hit.

I don't remember all the details, I boot into my CFW(rxtools) by using the browser crash site.

I don't see this mentioned, what should I do?

EDIT: Saw your post about Arms9loaderhax

How do I go about "rehacking"

Last edited by Bearpowers,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hacked my 3DS back in January? I think.

When the downgrade first hit.

I don't remember all the details, I boot into my CFW(rxtools) by using the browser crash site.

I don't see this mentioned, what should I do?

EDIT: Saw your post about Arms9loaderhax

How do I go about "rehacking"
Rehacking is right, you should install Arm9loaderhax. It's better than emunand by a long shot. It'll take all of emunand's data and move it to sysnand, and you'll then use sysnand from then on.
You can follow this simple guide here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser)

Then follow part 2 and part 3

Note that part 3 section IV you can skip it and do the "Moving RedNAND" step. The guide will tell you so no worries.
RedNAND is the same as emunand.

Bearpowers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rehacking is right, you should install Arm9loaderhax. It's better than emunand by a long shot. It'll take all of emunand's data and move it to sysnand, and you'll then use sysnand from then on.
You can follow this simple guide here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser)

Then follow part 2 and part 3

Note that part 3 section IV you can skip it and do the "Moving RedNAND" step. The guide will tell you so no worries.
RedNAND is the same as emunand.
Super appreciated, thank you.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
I already have Luma3DS but i just looked for fun and the text is black. :P I have the black theme and i have a stylish theme that makes it even darker. Could you make it some other colour that othe themes can view googly as well? Would be good for other people.

foreveryang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get an error when i try to get luma in CTR boot manager. i pasted it and wrote it myself, what exactly am i supposed to do with the code?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get an error when i try to get luma in CTR boot manager. i pasted it and wrote it myself, what exactly am i supposed to do with the code?
The code I entered is an example, just using the default .cfg file it normally comes with but editing in Luma3DS manually should do the trick.

Overall I advise switching to Arm9loaderhax at this point. EmuNAND is obsolete and pointless now.

Reactions: Jacklack3

foreveryang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The code I entered is an example, just using the default .cfg file it normally comes with but editing in Luma3DS manually should do the trick.

Overall I advise switching to Arm9loaderhax at this point. EmuNAND is obsolete and pointless now.

yeah im finally doing it lol (it's do or die), waiting for the transfer process to end. i won't really need any of this once i got arm9 right

chris_j11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RX-E 10.3.0-28U
i'm in the same situation as most:
i successfully cfw my o3DSXL months ago using multiple tutorial sites
my o3DSXL automatically boots up to cfw mode - at startup, splash of mutiple color, i see RxTools logo momentaryly then i'm in cfw mode
i don't even remember/ know how boot up to normal mode - so i can't figure out what is the actual firmware version

i prefer if i just start from scratch
is it safe to just format my sd card and start all over with arm9loaderhax?
is it safe to boot up my o3DSXL w/o the sd card?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RX-E 10.3.0-28U
i'm in the same situation as most:
i successfully cfw my o3DSXL months ago using multiple tutorial sites
my o3DSXL automatically boots up to cfw mode - at startup, splash of mutiple color, i see RxTools logo momentaryly then i'm in cfw mode
i don't even remember/ know how boot up to normal mode - so i can't figure out what is the actual firmware version

i prefer if i just start from scratch
is it safe to just format my sd card and start all over with arm9loaderhax?
is it safe to boot up my o3DSXL w/o the sd card?
No don't format your SD card, it's meaningless. But yes you can and SHOULD setup Arm9loaderhax at this point. Especially if you don't know how to use your current setup anymore.
You can start from here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser)

Then continue to part 2 and part 3.
Note that on part 3 section IV you'll have to do the "Moving RedNAND" step instead of section IV. This moves emuNAND to sysNAND.
Basically in the end, you'll have all your data from emuNAND and have the best possible setup your 3DS can ever have.

kumarachristian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
whats root folder?my 3ds sd card doesnt have folder with name root? plus wheres the empty luma folder because the zip file all of them doesnt empty ,every folder have its own file ,sorry if i sound dumb im a newbie :(

Last edited by kumarachristian,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats root folder?my 3ds sd card doesnt have folder with name root? plus wheres the empty luma folder because the zip file all of them doesnt empty ,every folder have its own file ,sorry if i sound dumb im a newbie :(
The root means the very beginning of the SD card.
You can make a folder named luma yourself.

If you're still using emuNAND, you might as well setup Arm9loaderhax at this point.

kevinorkcTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so confused. Which method would I use to boot into luma3ds? I'm on sysnand 4.2.0 and in order to boot into rxtools I go into system settings and click Nintendo ds profile. Which method would that be considered?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so confused. Which method would I use to boot into luma3ds? I'm on sysnand 4.2.0 and in order to boot into rxtools I go into system settings and click Nintendo ds profile. Which method would that be considered?
You'd have to update to 9.2, you're outdated. But don't bother. Just setup Arm9loaderhax from where you are, it's much better than emuNAND.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Decrypt9-(Browser)

Then follow part 2 and 3 on the side.

kumarachristian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The root means the very beginning of the SD card.
You can make a folder named luma yourself.

If you're still using emuNAND, you might as well setup Arm9loaderhax at this point.

how to know that im using emunand or not?ive try and it works btw thanks ! :D ,but my eshop seems strange,it seems outdated,only few games i can found on the eshop ._.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ok for real i'm back